Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 823

Thread: What do people think of Roy Chisholm's Snooker Secrets?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2017

    Posts
    434
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Is this side thing on any of his Channel clips?

    It does make sense in other games\sports where balls are rarely played straight eg golf balls will draw\fade, similarly football passes will curve, usually draw as it is more accurate to play that way. I'm sure that the logic is that there is more margin for error by drawing\fading than trying to hit straight as more or less fade will at worst be straight: whereas going for straight means the ball could go either way.

    I'm not sure where the margin fits in with Snooker, but it could be aim to the straight side of the pocket with running side, so any throw helps the OB into the pocket? As above, Barry Stark mentions this re hitting more of the OB so having more control of the CB.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    This is chrisg's Country Flag

    Posts
    39
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
    Is this side thing on any of his Channel clips?

    It does make sense in other games\sports where balls are rarely played straight eg golf balls will draw\fade, similarly football passes will curve, usually draw as it is more accurate to play that way. I'm sure that the logic is that there is more margin for error by drawing\fading than trying to hit straight as more or less fade will at worst be straight: whereas going for straight means the ball could go either way.

    I'm not sure where the margin fits in with Snooker, but it could be aim to the straight side of the pocket with running side, so any throw helps the OB into the pocket? As above, Barry Stark mentions this re hitting more of the OB so having more control of the CB.
    I'm not sure if you've read the book, or seen the video, but the harder you hit the ball, the wider it goes, so therefore, it's advisable not to hit the ball too hard as you will miss.

    In terms of side, you need to aim thicker on OB to allow to compensate for the throw on shots with extreme side...But the side we are talking about on "normal" pots is only a trace, half a tip, so makes very little difference....I know cos I have been testing it out for last two weeks...
    Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2017

    Posts
    434
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    I'm not sure if you've read the book, or seen the video, but the harder you hit the ball, the wider it goes, so therefore, it's advisable not to hit the ball too hard as you will miss.

    In terms of side, you need to aim thicker on OB to allow to compensate for the throw on shots with extreme side...But the side we are talking about on "normal" pots is only a trace, half a tip, so makes very little difference....I know cos I have been testing it out for last two weeks...
    Yep, I have seen the harder Clip.

    So literally just off-centre, rather than "side"?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Posts
    7,166
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Let's think about this, he is saying most folk can't hit centre, so you should deliberately hit off centre. So you can hit off centre exactly where you want every single time but you can't hit centre, are you seriously saying that's right! You can't hit centre because you don't cue well enough, end of story and because you can't cue well enough you won't hit exactly where you want off centre either, it's not rocket science. Pros can hit the cue ball where they want that's why they are pros, it's like saying how can Messi stick the ball in the top corner all the time and I can't, it's because he's bloody good and I'm not, it's the same in snooker. The fact we can all hit a little off centre and still pot balls is because the pockets much wider than the ball so we have a margine of error, start hitting off centre and don't hit exactly where you want and your margine of error has gone.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Guernsey
    This is guernseygooner's Country Flag

    Posts
    624
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    Let's think about this, he is saying most folk can't hit centre, so you should deliberately hit off centre. So you can hit off centre exactly where you want every single time but you can't hit centre, are you seriously saying that's right! You can't hit centre because you don't cue well enough, end of story and because you can't cue well enough you won't hit exactly where you want off centre either, it's not rocket science. Pros can hit the cue ball where they want that's why they are pros, it's like saying how can Messi stick the ball in the top corner all the time and I can't, it's because he's bloody good and I'm not, it's the same in snooker. The fact we can all hit a little off centre and still pot balls is because the pockets much wider than the ball so we have a margine of error, start hitting off centre and don't hit exactly where you want and your margine of error has gone.
    I was trying to think how to word it - can't really add to that!

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Posts
    7,166
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
    I was trying to think how to word it - can't really add to that!
    Don't get me started on his point your cue way off line walk in method, I think I would have a melt down lol.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2017

    Posts
    434
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    Don't get me started on his point your cue way off line walk in method, I think I would have a melt down lol.
    I agree totally - the whole thumb pointing down fked my game, then when I got it out of my head I was doing it already

    re Messi: he doesn't kick a ball straight: he will curve it, usually with the inside of his foot; golfers hit draws and fades rather than straight balls - so there are plenty of precedents: BUT I doubt golfers putt with fades and draws.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Posts
    7,166
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
    I agree totally - the whole thumb pointing down fked my game, then when I got it out of my head I was doing it already

    re Messi: he doesn't kick a ball straight: he will curve it, usually with the inside of his foot; golfers hit draws and fades rather than straight balls - so there are plenty of precedents: BUT I doubt golfers putt with fades and draws.
    The point is pro footballers and pro golfers hit the ball exactly where and how they want to. We don't , so how on earth if you can't hit centre all the time are you going to hit exactly off centre all the time, it's making something hard even harder as you now have to adjust aiming ,take into account pace and then distance and finally how much throw your cue produces. Hit the centre as best you can, none of that applies.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2017

    Posts
    434
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    The point is pro footballers and pro golfers hit the ball exactly where and how they want to. We don't , so how on earth if you can't hit centre all the time are you going to hit exactly off centre all the time, it's making something hard even harder as you now have to adjust aiming ,take into account pace and then distance and finally how much throw your cue produces. Hit the centre as best you can, none of that applies.
    As above: I'm not convinced re the complete precision of snooker: but a golfer is better off lining up down one side of the fairway and hitting the draw\fade imho as they have the whole width of the far away as margin, rather than half... Admittedly most golfers will have a natural draw\fade (Woosnam for example could not fade a ball for love nor money, much to Faldo's chagrin\amusement when he found out during a Ryder Cup doubles match.

    I would guess that a lot of decent Snooker players actually cue across the cue ball to some extent' but their subconcious changes the target line to compensate.....

    PS: I think you are overdoing the skill level of the footballers and golfers: or they would all be a lot better?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    This is Catch 22's Country Flag

    Posts
    938
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    The point is pro footballers and pro golfers hit the ball exactly where and how they want to. We don't , so how on earth if you can't hit centre all the time are you going to hit exactly off centre all the time, it's making something hard even harder as you now have to adjust aiming ,take into account pace and then distance and finally how much throw your cue produces. Hit the centre as best you can, none of that applies.
    But footballers and golfers are looking at the ball when they hit it .....they are CB players ......OH YES , I WENT THERE !! ....hahaha

Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •