Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can't stop putting left hand side on cue ball

This is Dave_marsy's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
    I've been having a similar issue, I found that my grip hand was too close to my hip., so adjusting my stance has given me a couple of inches rather than cm.
    Also I would check to see if your Bridge hand thumb is moving on strike .
    Any lifting from the thumb will cause you to cue across the cue ball to the left .
    Yes I change my stance by turning to the right to create more room ..I'm right handed....I will pay attention to my bridge and thumb thanks

This is Terry Davidson's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by throtts View Post
    It has to be with your set up, buddy. Place the your cue dead centre to the cue ball and then get in your stance position, see if anything feels uncomfortable. A lot of players do hit off centre though and it is a hard thing to fix via a forum.

Anyone else, Terry?......
    He is likely doing the same thing I myself do on power shots and a lot of other players do too and that is (as you said) tightening his grip too early in the delivery. I have been trying to overcome this for about 10 years now and I just cannot do it unless I artificially open my grip and leave it open throughout the delivery but this causes a complete loss of accuracy. I tried it with Nic Barrow's training example of the fingertip grip too. It eliminated the problem but again loss of accuracy.

Best solution I've found is using the loop bridge (a good one) and this infers the problem has something to do with my bridge hand but no matter how hard I stabilize my open bridge hand I do not reduce the left-hand side on a power screw. Weirdly enough I've also found it doesn't happen with a power top spin (go figure).
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

This is vmax4steve's Country Flag

vCash

Right foot on the line of aim, tip of the cue to the centre of the cue ball, then position of the left foot dictates whether the butt of the cue is on the line of aim or not.
    Left hand side tells me that your left foot needs to be a tad further forward, I had a similar issue with right hand side and moved my left foot back to correct it.
    I now have a more square boxer stance than before, left foot in front of the right but now about six inches further back. Feels tight in my right leg now but the balls are going in and that tightness tells me I'm standing in the right place.

This is Dave_marsy's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
    Right foot on the line of aim, tip of the cue to the centre of the cue ball, then position of the left foot dictates whether the butt of the cue is on the line of aim or not.
    Left hand side tells me that your left foot needs to be a tad further forward, I had a similar issue with right hand side and moved my left foot back to correct it.
    I now have a more square boxer stance than before, left foot in front of the right but now about six inches further back. Feels tight in my right leg now but the balls are going in and that tightness tells me I'm standing in the right place.
    Yes I tried moving my foot forward and had some better results

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    He is likely doing the same thing I myself do on power shots and a lot of other players do too and that is (as you said) tightening his grip too early in the delivery. I have been trying to overcome this for about 10 years now and I just cannot do it unless I artificially open my grip and leave it open throughout the delivery but this causes a complete loss of accuracy. I tried it with Nic Barrow's training example of the fingertip grip too. It eliminated the problem but again loss of accuracy.

Best solution I've found is using the loop bridge (a good one) and this infers the problem has something to do with my bridge hand but no matter how hard I stabilize my open bridge hand I do not reduce the left-hand side on a power screw. Weirdly enough I've also found it doesn't happen with a power top spin (go figure).
    When you say a loss of accuracy, do you mean the cueball goes in the wrong direction or just no accuracy on the amount of spin you put on the cueball?

This is throtts's Country Flag

vCash

[QUOTE=Terry Davidson;935069]He is likely doing the same thing I myself do on power shots and a lot of other players do too and that is (as you said) tightening his grip too early in the delivery. I have been trying to overcome this for about 10 years now and I just cannot do it unless I artificially open my grip and leave it open throughout the delivery but this causes a complete loss of accuracy.[QUOTE]

I do not mess with my grip anymore, I just go with what feels natural and comfortable. But, when I did try a very relaxed grip, myself too was losing accuracy and I felt my technique was not compact and solid enough..

@ jonny66, it was a loss accuracy for me in terms of pot rate, buddy..
    JP Majestic
    3/4
    57"
    17oz
    9.5mm Elk

vCash

Cheers, I've given up messing with my grip too, seems the sure fire way to make it wrong is to think about it.

This is Terry Davidson's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
    When you say a loss of accuracy, do you mean the cueball goes in the wrong direction or just no accuracy on the amount of spin you put on the cueball?
    Both. There's no way anyone could play with a pure fingertip grip of just thumb and forefinger
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

vCash

Agree with throtts !!

Grip should be firm . Not too loose , imo.
    otherwise you gonna cue all over the place and pull off sum strange stuff out there.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    Both. There's no way anyone could play with a pure fingertip grip of just thumb and forefinger
    Dave Harold - ever heard of him?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast