Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you expect from an coach?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
    It's a fine line isn't it.

Obviously a coach should be a motivator to encourage the player to commit to improvement. Between that and promising the player that they will be a World Champion is the balance you've gotta be careful of.
    Good point Marc .

To encourage the player and advice him to do his best and put sum hard work in ? yes , absolutely
    To promise him that he's gonna get there? NO.

It's a hard line which can distinguish and make a diff between a good coach and a less good one .

Sometimes you gonna have to be rude and just let the player know that snooker is NOT his game .
    Bcuz no matter how hard it sounds , Snooker is not everyones game !!

This is Shockerz's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
    Good point Marc .

Sometimes you gonna have to be rude and just let the player know that snooker is NOT his game .
    When you hear the words,

"You really want to focus on trying to just enjoy the game."

"Have you ever thought about billiards?"

"I wouldn't spend too much money on a cue if I were you!"

"Try and play people above your current standard to improve your game; I know plenty of beginners who would like a game."

"Wow, you've been playing 30 years. Ok, the black ball is worth 7..............."

vCash

When you hear the words,

"You really want to focus on trying to just enjoy the game."

"Have you ever thought about billiards?"

"I wouldn't spend too much money on a cue if I were you!"

"Try and play people above your current standard to improve your game; I know plenty of beginners who would like a game."

"Wow, you've been playing 30 years. Ok, the black ball is worth 7..............."
    Yep , that's the problem , is'nt it ?

Some poeple just do'nt have a natural hand-eye coordination.
    Not to mention some just can'nt Mentally handel it .

It's just like you advice someone with fear of heights, you gonna have to try climbing Mount Everest.
    Waste of his time ? who knows !!

I have nothing aginst enjoying the game an keep trying.
    At the same time, i do believe that a coach should be realistic , NOT Optimistic

This is ace man's Country Flag

vCash

Good point Marc .

To encourage the player and advice him to do his best and put sum hard work in ? yes , absolutely
    To promise him that he's gonna get there? NO.

It's a hard line which can distinguish and make a diff between a good coach and a less good one .

If a coach promises his student certain result in competitions after a coaching session, then that's dangerous. I think a student will experience frustrations should he not achieve what he was hoping for.
    I certainly hope a coach would downplay expectations.

About snooker not being everyone's game. On a contrary, it is everyone's game.
    It is just that most players have totally unrealistic expectations and day dream way too much. Not to even mention #1 mistake of thinking that their best game is their average stuff.

vCash

At the same time, i do believe that a coach should be realistic , NOT Optimistic
    For me it comes down to how you approach things as an individual as whether you think you need a coach.

If you've put your 10,000 hours in as some say you'd have to have reached a reasonable standard if you are playing in the right club/league against decent players, you would have to hope.

In local small league snooker you can become the best at a lot lower standard but that certainly doesn't cut it when you then go up a notch to a decent league standard as you haven't learnt enough.

I would doubt there are too many 147 breakers playing in village leagues, I may be wrong but I think it would be unusual. If you are playing in a city league you have the opposite where you would have to be very lucky to avoid all decent standard players and some at the top of the amateur game. To survive here you must be learning to survive by what everyone else is doing but also sharing with you.

Spending time in the company (and playing against) decent players will fast track you to a better standard than lower standard leagues where there isn't a lot of shared knowledge from a higher level of snooker.

For me, a coach (if they are the right coach) can enable a fast track to better things if you are prepared to listen, work hard and get out of your comfort zone and play better players. If you are prepared to do go through the pain and initial drubbings then you will certainly aspire to be a better player than if you had stayed where you were and waited for a miracle).

I think there are natural players who can pick a cue up and make the ball dance from the cot and there are thinkers who have to learn and grind. The natural talent players can't understand why the thinkers make it so complicated and the thinkers think the natural flair players will come unstuck under pressure and I've seen many arguments with both arguing their corner when someone say just get down and hit it and things will just happen............hallelujah it's a miracle.

But I accept both opinions as they have a place.

I also accept that even the greatest of natural players, no matter what they say, have had some sort of coaching from someone who is a head doctor or from someone who has been there and done it and has something to share, especially when that person is going through their first real winning drought.

A coach at the beginning I think is a great thing as it can take years to correct those initial poor set up problems and maybe the coach may change as the players ability and performance gets better but I think it's a good idea to have a sounding board at all levels, another set pf eyes to run over things you might not be able to see.

In every dead ball ball sport you can be slightly changing something until that thing is now different, can you see yourself doing this? Well that's not easy.

Greg Norman (golfer) used to go back to his coach once a year in the off season and say, "Teach me how to play golf from the beginning." All he used the sessions for was for the coach to check he was still doing the things he thought he was so he hadn't become something different.

Personally I like that thinking, but accept that's not for everyone and they feel they are at the level they like and will remain there without interference, that's why I like sports, you have to decide what you think is right and enjoy or suffer the consequences!

Just my humble opinion...........

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ace man View Post
    It is just that most players have totally unrealistic expectations and day dream way too much. Not to even mention #1 mistake of thinking that their best game is their average stuff.
    Couldn't agree more.

You've only got to ask, "What's your average break and it's a question that conjures up all sorts of opinions as to how you answer it but they will generally be along the lines to show that the player is actually better than he/she is.

This is chrisg's Country Flag

vCash

A good coach is someone who has the ability to motivate you to want to practice as much as you can and drives you on to do better.

One thing I've learned from having coaching at this game myself is to always turn a negative into a positive. If you make a mistake like miss a pot, etc, always think of what the positives were on the shot, or what you learnt from it.

Also, if you go to the table thinking: This is a difficult shot, chances are, you will miss it!If however, you go to the table in a positive frame of mind and think: "Yeah, I can pot this, it's well within my ability", then the chances of it going in increase IMHO....Obviously positive thinking alone will not make you improve but with snooker, it is half the battle....

The film with Denzel Washington Man on Fire springs to mind. The gunshot holds no fear. In this case, the snooker table holds no fear!

I suppose the point is to be positive - but not to the point of being arrogant or deluded....
    Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ace man View Post
    If a coach promises his student certain result in competitions after a coaching session, then that's dangerous. I think a student will experience frustrations should he not achieve what he was hoping for.
    I certainly hope a coach would downplay expectations.

About snooker not being everyone's game. On a contrary, it is everyone's game.
    Are you saying everyone can turn in an snooker player and all what he needs to do is pick up the cue and put hard work in ???

Good post btw ,

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post

The film with Denzel Washington Man on Fire springs to mind. The gunshot holds no fear. In this case, the snooker table holds no fear!
    He died in that film.........

This is chrisg's Country Flag

vCash

He died in that film.........
    Still, he taught the girl how to have no fear of the swimming pool!
    Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast