Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What do you expect from an coach?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
    He died in that film.........
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    Still, he taught the girl how to have no fear of the swimming pool!
    Sacrifice.

That's an sign of a good coach.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
    For me it comes down to how you approach things as an individual as whether you think you need a coach.

If you've put your 10,000 hours in as some say you'd have to have reached a reasonable standard if you are playing in the right club/league against decent players, you would have to hope.

In local small league snooker you can become the best at a lot lower standard but that certainly doesn't cut it when you then go up a notch to a decent league standard as you haven't learnt enough.

I would doubt there are too many 147 breakers playing in village leagues, I may be wrong but I think it would be unusual. If you are playing in a city league you have the opposite where you would have to be very lucky to avoid all decent standard players and some at the top of the amateur game. To survive here you must be learning to survive by what everyone else is doing but also sharing with you.

Spending time in the company (and playing against) decent players will fast track you to a better standard than lower standard leagues where there isn't a lot of shared knowledge from a higher level of snooker.

For me, a coach (if they are the right coach) can enable a fast track to better things if you are prepared to listen, work hard and get out of your comfort zone and play better players. If you are prepared to do go through the pain and initial drubbings then you will certainly aspire to be a better player than if you had stayed where you were and waited for a miracle).

I think there are natural players who can pick a cue up and make the ball dance from the cot and there are thinkers who have to learn and grind. The natural talent players can't understand why the thinkers make it so complicated and the thinkers think the natural flair players will come unstuck under pressure and I've seen many arguments with both arguing their corner when someone say just get down and hit it and things will just happen............hallelujah it's a miracle.

But I accept both opinions as they have a place.

I also accept that even the greatest of natural players, no matter what they say, have had some sort of coaching from someone who is a head doctor or from someone who has been there and done it and has something to share, especially when that person is going through their first real winning drought.

A coach at the beginning I think is a great thing as it can take years to correct those initial poor set up problems and maybe the coach may change as the players ability and performance gets better but I think it's a good idea to have a sounding board at all levels, another set pf eyes to run over things you might not be able to see.

In every dead ball ball sport you can be slightly changing something until that thing is now different, can you see yourself doing this? Well that's not easy.

Greg Norman (golfer) used to go back to his coach once a year in the off season and say, "Teach me how to play golf from the beginning." All he used the sessions for was for the coach to check he was still doing the things he thought he was so he hadn't become something different.

Personally I like that thinking, but accept that's not for everyone and they feel they are at the level they like and will remain there without interference, that's why I like sports, you have to decide what you think is right and enjoy or suffer the consequences!

Just my humble opinion...........
    Marc I do agree with your point .

But, how about ,, how an coach approach things ,, ??
    should'nt be an independent approach ?

I once knew a player who after 10 years trying still was not able to play an decent scrwback shot . He gave up the game of snooker.
    Went to play Dart. Within 4 months he had become one of the best Dart players in the country.

last time I spoke to him, he told me :

,, I wish my coach was honest with me 10 years ago and had told me that snooker is just not my game.
    If i had stick my time with Dart back then, I was a pro right now ,,

How about that ??

This is ace man's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
    Are you saying everyone can turn in an snooker player and all what he needs to do is pick up the cue and put hard work in ???

Good post btw ,
    Yes, anyone can play snooker and anyone can improve. How well he will play depends on a lot of factors, not only hard work. If a guy starts very late with snooker, he can't have the progress rate of 10 year old child playing exactly the same amount as him. That has to be obvious.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ace man View Post
    Yes, anyone can play snooker and anyone can improve. How well he will play depends on a lot of factors, not only hard work.If a guy starts very late with snooker, he can't have the progress rate of 10 year old child playing exactly the same amount as him. That has to be obvious.
    Tell me about it
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

vCash

Yes, anyone can play snooker and anyone can improve. How well he will play depends on a lot of factors, not only hard work. If a guy starts very late with snooker, he can't have the progress rate of 10 year old child playing exactly the same amount as him. That has to be obvious.
    My friend do'nt get me wrong, No Criticism to your opinion .

But just FTR ,

I know people who tried to be a truck driver, within 5 years they got 10 accidents and ultimately they gave up. eventually they went to drive a taxi.
    I know people who tried playing football/tennis/Golf/... and ultimately they gave up. bcuz it was'nt thr game and they could'nt make it.

You mind telling me , Why you consider snooker as an exception?
    Last edited by Ramon; 2nd August 2017 at 09:21 PM.

vCash

I once knew a player who after 10 years trying still was not able to play an decent scrwback shot . He gave up the game of snooker.
    Went to play Dart. Within 4 months he had become one of the best Dart players in the country
    Your friend mostly did not practise screw back regularly, that's why he couldn't learn it. Certainly not every day for 10 years. A monkey could get it with that much exposure to the table...without a coach I might add.
    Now I don't know anything about darts. But 4 months of serious practise and suddenly he is ahead of players who have played it for decades? He must have started very early with it himself then.
    This story just doesn't sound right. Somebody has been feeding you with either false or incomplete information.

vCash

My friend do'nt get me wrong, No Criticism to your opinion .

But just FTR ,

I know people who tried to be a truck driver, within 5 years they got 10 accidents and ultimately they gave up. eventually they went to drive a taxi.
    I know people who tried playing football/tennis/Golf/... and ultimately they gave up. bcuz it was'nt thr game and they could'nt make it.

You mind telling me , Why you consider snooker as an exception?
    I never said that anyone can play good level snooker, whatever that may be. I only said that anyone can play it and that they can improve. Never once did I imply that anyone could be good at it.
    Majority will never score a 30 break. So what? They are still snooker players.

vCash

Your friend mostly did not practise screw back regularly, that's why he couldn't learn it. Certainly not every day for 10 years. A monkey could get it with that much exposure to the table...without a coach I might add.
    Now I don't know anything about darts. But 4 months of serious practise and suddenly he is ahead of players who have played it for decades? He must have started very early with it himself then.
    This story just doesn't sound right. Somebody has been feeding you with either false or incomplete information.
    I did'nt know it was that easy .

Looks like i got the wrong info than .

Thanks .

vCash

I never said that anyone can play good level snooker, whatever that may be. I only said that anyone can play it and that they can improve. Never once did I imply that anyone could be good at it.
    Majority will never score a 30 break. So what? They are still snooker players.
    That was my point . I was'nt referring to player . I was referring to the coach and his responsibility to make a player aware of that fact .
    Whether someone decides to keep trying ( Despite of coaches warning ) or not , that would be his decision. Agree on that part .

Glad we finally agree , I almost blacklisted you .

This is Shockerz's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    Still, he taught the girl how to have no fear of the swimming pool!
    He did that Chris, and what a great film.

Maybe we should get the coaches the duct tape the players hand to the cue and cut a finger off each time they get the exercise wrong..............maybe that would focus the mind?

He managed to clear the swimmers mind to focus only on the sound of the gun, we could all do with something similar so we only see the pot.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast