Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you expect from an coach?

vCash

Default What do you expect from an coach?

As the title says,

What are your expectations from a snooker coach ?
    At which ascertain point consider you someone as an good coach?
    Are you always agree with your coach and most importantly do you believe that your coach should consider your disagreement (if you have any) as understandable ?

Do you consider coaching , as an necessary (or important) step in the way of your improvement ?

In case anyone interested ,

Feel free to share your point of view as well as your experiences.
    Snooker coaches are also welcome to share their opinion here .

This is Shockerz's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
    As the title says,

To provide me with simple instructions that I can see will help improve my game.

When I have transferred their advice into my table time and can see improvements in my game that reflects the coaches advice.

Are you always agree with your coach and most importantly do you believe that your coach should consider your disagreement (if you have any) as understandable ?

Coaching is a non judgmental conversation between a coach and a student for the benefit of the student to improve their performance. You are only having a conversation if you have input that is considered!

Do you consider coaching , as an necessary (or important) step in the way of your improvement ?

There are many roads Rome as they say, not everyone who is great has required coaching but I would respectfully suggest that all modern day great players have received great coaching and instructions from many sources. Personally I feel that if I had received coaching in my first out of snooker some 30 years ago I would have learnt some obvious things when learning the game that would have created some great foundations to build from. I'm sure ROS is considered by most to be the greatest NATURAL talent to have graced the green baize. For a natural talent he sure has had a fair amount of constructive advice and coaching as you would expect..........all in my opinion of course!

My answers in blue above.

vCash

Going the other a way: a bad one would have only one way of approaching the table, standing, holding the cue, position of bridge etc.

So if they just want to teach how they play, or what they have read in a book then they wouldn't enjoy their hour or so with me.

This is alabadi's Country Flag

vCash
    Items for Sale

As the title says,

to be knowledgeable , and can relay instructions in a simple understandable manner

One who's methods help me improve

we sometimes have certain ideas or feelings of where we think we are going wrong, there is no harm in having a debate about how best to solve these issues. a good coach is a good listener too

not absolutely necessary, however constructive feedback has never harmed anyone

i have had good coaching and bad coaching. some are just stuck in their ways however others are more dynamic and can model their coaching to suit the students level and personailty
    answers above

This is throtts's Country Flag

vCash

+2,

I think a coach is especially good for a player that is just starting out before those bad habits creep in.

When I first started the good players would not tell you a thing on how to improve. It was like ""I didn't get any tips so you aren't either""...
    JP Majestic
    3/4
    57"
    17oz
    9.5mm Elk

vCash

To drop me off safely and quickly at my hotel so I can get my all inclusive drinks band quicker and get to the bar

vCash

As the title says,

To observe then pinpoint faults/diagnose a way to improve with practice.

Someone who understands the problem - and does not over complicate it. Someone who has been there and done it and has made a ton or three. Certain coaches are better in certain areas - metal approach - technical stuff and maybe some have played at pro level.

Yes - any coach that says that it is this way - and that is the only way it is should in my opinion not be coaching - every player is different in both how they play and how they understand and learn/ However that said some people are unteachable too.

No - I have got to a point I'm happy at and can self diagnose now. Maybe I would go for an MOT if the wheels completely fall off though

thought I'd better do the proper one too
    Last edited by Byrom; 1st August 2017 at 02:41 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
    To drop me off safely and quickly at my hotel so I can get my all inclusive drinks band quicker and get to the bar
    As off the wall as usual but it did make me chuckle!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by throtts View Post
    +2,

I think a coach is especially good for a player that is just starting out before those bad habits creep in.

When I first started the good players would not tell you a thing on how to improve. It was like ""I didn't get any tips so you aren't either""...
    Agree , would be more useful to a beginner .
    I also do believe that a coach should be honest toward player and give him no false hope.

vCash

I also do believe that a coach should be honest toward player and give him no false hope.
    It's a fine line isn't it.

Obviously a coach should be a motivator to encourage the player to commit to improvement. Between that and promising the player that they will be a World Champion is the balance you've gotta be careful of.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast