Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yippee Ki Yay

This is Dredd46's Country Flag

vCash

Default Yippee Ki Yay

I sure hope theirs a Yips clinic or someone actually made there way back from them.

Mine have got worse recently to where I can barely hit the CB let alone pot a ball. Last week I fell off the table and hit the floor, a new low boom boom. It felt like the gas pedal was through the floor and the handbrake was on. I had one leg up on the table stretching for a pot and just couldn't move the cue to strike the CB. Started shaking and the tension around my shoulders etc is horrible. Screamed in my head to go go go and finally launched the cue through the CB. Suffice to say CB and OB took off like rockets. Only good thing was OB flew into the pocket. Barely managed to hold on to my cue to stop it flying into the pocket. Doing that sort of twisted me around and I fell off the table and hit the floor. I should mention I go to the club once a week for around 8hrs and take my Dad with me. This means I don't do any solo practise which is not helping. All this triggered a uncomfortable conversation with my Brother Monday gone. My Dad has Parkinsons which is a ****ty disease and of course he has watched me shaking for the last few months at snooker. The highlight being last week when I fell off the table. Dad is upset as he thinks I have Parkinsons and Brother is worried I'm going to have a heart attack because of the stress the yips is causing at snooker. Have to say didn't see any of that coming. Might be time to join that knitting group i've always dreamt of

vCash

Sorry to hear about this, sounds awful and I know that pain, although never experienced anything like that.

What helped me A LOT was to eliminate the pause between the 2 or 3 practice strikes and actually striking the cue ball for a while. It won't help you pot more as you effectively strike the cue ball on a practice swing but it did eliminate my yips. So that told me there was something wrong in my head when I paused.

I did that for a couple of weeks and naturally went back to a pause after then and the yips were gone! I guess it just needed a bit of brain rewiring and it did the trick.

This is guernseygooner's Country Flag

vCash

Try pointing and shooting Drago style - no feathers

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
    Yep, similar sort of thing. I realised I must have been tightening up during the pause or something.

vCash

It might help to spend an hour or so simply playing balls directly into pockets to try and get that object ball anxiety out of your mind.
    Start off with a full pocket and drift the ball directly in at pocket weight from various distances.
    Remember to pull the cue back slowly just a couple of inches, focus on the pocket and deliver the cue while still looking at the pocket.
    Then do the same from acute angles, then hit them harder while increasing the length of your backswing until you reach full power with maximum backswing.
    Then drift them in pocket weight using side from all angles with and against the nap, again hit them harder and then harder again.

Forget about potting balls with the cue ball for a few weeks and just do this.

While doing this learn to keep your head very still and only get up from your stance when the ball drops.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bean View Post
    Sorry to hear about this, sounds awful and I know that pain, although never experienced anything like that.

What helped me A LOT was to eliminate the pause between the 2 or 3 practice strikes and actually striking the cue ball for a while. It won't help you pot more as you effectively strike the cue ball on a practice swing but it did eliminate my yips. So that told me there was something wrong in my head when I paused.

I did that for a couple of weeks and naturally went back to a pause after then and the yips were gone! I guess it just needed a bit of brain rewiring and it did the trick.
    I suppose there are worse things in life but at the moment this is proving to be a real pain. The pause is definitely making things worse. I'm staring at the tip and then a battle of wills ensues. Tried without the pause and end up stabbing at the CB but early days yet so will persevere.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
    Tried it briefly and wasn't great. Felt like I was doing a quick in and out on the CB so to speak and was glad the shot was over. If at first

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by vmax View Post
    It might help to spend an hour or so simply playing balls directly into pockets to try and get that object ball anxiety out of your mind.
    Start off with a full pocket and drift the ball directly in at pocket weight from various distances.
    Remember to pull the cue back slowly just a couple of inches, focus on the pocket and deliver the cue while still looking at the pocket.
    Then do the same from acute angles, then hit them harder while increasing the length of your backswing until you reach full power with maximum backswing.
    Then drift them in pocket weight using side from all angles with and against the nap, again hit them harder and then harder again.

Forget about potting balls with the cue ball for a few weeks and just do this.

While doing this learn to keep your head very still and only get up from your stance when the ball drops.
    Yep this is on my list of to do's, got to keep that head still.

vCash

Go Back to Basics, but keep your trousers on, and avoid women called Edwina

vCash

[QUOTE=blahblah01;936794]Go Back to Basics, but keep your trousers on, and avoid women called Edwina

Damm, way to ruin all my fun

Any idea who the guy in the video is? I've watched this and part 2 before. If only it was as easy as he says it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast