Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: potting just with sides

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nishant View Post
    Sorry?

I have no idea whats going on here.

Thanks. Can you suggest any methods that will help judging the thinner cuts? Ofcourse I understand it needs to be practised a lot but as of now I cant even see or understand where to hit. I have AimFrame from Nic Burrow that I received a couple of weeks ago but that just helps while I have the aim ball there. Once I take the aimball off its back to nothing.
    I walk into the shot and in my minds eye I use the ghost ball theory from above the shot i judge the angle and put my cue on that line. If you concentrate then only on delivering the cue on a straight line you can be confident in the trajectory of the ball (this is where side is hard because it's judgement you have to readjust the line, so as a default any pot should be plain ball its the easiest shot).

If you miss that ball thin or thick then you make a note of how you missed it and try the shot again with the adjustment, to me thats the easiest most logical way to find the potting angle for any shot. Saying 'yeah i use side cos it seemed easier that day or the pro's use side off the back cushion so I'm going to do it to me isnt strong enough to stand up to pressure in even a friendly league game you need to have confidence in the line your picking cos like i said before in the previous post you are going to need to play balls plain ball more often than you'll need side so stick with the simple option.

The greatest break builders don't even use cushions for half the break it's all soft stuns and screws with centre ball that's all you want to be doing using the cushion complicates matters too.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Derek P View Post
    I walk into the shot and in my minds eye I use the ghost ball theory from above the shot i judge the angle and put my cue on that line. If you concentrate then only on delivering the cue on a straight line you can be confident in the trajectory of the ball (this is where side is hard because it's judgement you have to readjust the line, so as a default any pot should be plain ball its the easiest shot).

If you miss that ball thin or thick then you make a note of how you missed it and try the shot again with the adjustment, to me thats the easiest most logical way to find the potting angle for any shot. Saying 'yeah i use side cos it seemed easier that day or the pro's use side off the back cushion so I'm going to do it to me isnt strong enough to stand up to pressure in even a friendly league game you need to have confidence in the line your picking cos like i said before in the previous post you are going to need to play balls plain ball more often than you'll need side so stick with the simple option.

The greatest break builders don't even use cushions for half the break it's all soft stuns and screws with centre ball that's all you want to be doing using the cushion complicates matters too.
    I see. I always just thought of ghostball as un-doable as I am not sure if I would still remember where would it be in real game. Like, while practising I can cover the OB with CB to see what would it look like. But do you just do that for all the shots unless you think you pretty much understand most of the angles?

vCash

I see. I always just thought of ghostball as un-doable as I am not sure if I would still remember where would it be in real game. Like, while practising I can cover the OB with CB to see what would it look like. But do you just do that for all the shots unless you think you pretty much understand most of the angles?
    My pre-shot routine goes something like this:

1. Stand back from the shot, approx 2 paces back from the table.
    2. Looking down on the shot from above I visualise the path the white would need to take in order to pot the object ball, wether you call this ghost ball theory or imagine another cue ball behind the object ball set like a plant to pot it doesnt matter too much but essentially you need to know what line you think will pot the ball.

3. I decide if I need to use plain stroke, stun or screw of varying heights on the weight.
    4. Combined with the above the required power to where I want the white
    5. If i cant get the white there plain ball do i need side off the cushion.
    6. Walk into the shot and start feathers and prep to play the shot.

I think that's the pretty standard method of most players.

vCash

My pre-shot routine goes something like this:

1. Stand back from the shot, approx 2 paces back from the table.
    2. Looking down on the shot from above I visualise the path the white would need to take in order to pot the object ball, wether you call this ghost ball theory or imagine another cue ball behind the object ball set like a plant to pot it doesnt matter too much but essentially you need to know what line you think will pot the ball.

3. I decide if I need to use plain stroke, stun or screw of varying heights on the weight.
    4. Combined with the above the required power to where I want the white
    5. If i cant get the white there plain ball do i need side off the cushion.
    6. Walk into the shot and start feathers and prep to play the shot.

I think that's the pretty standard method of most players.
    thanks. Heres another quick question although it might sound weird.

I've looked at hours of headcam snooker line practice on youtube and i can ALWAYS tell that the player (in the video) is on the correct line of the shot and it would pot the ball. However, I NEVER get the same sight when I am on the actual table. I have tried changing my head position, my stance but its all really random at this point. Is there any quick photo or video on how it should look when you down on the shot? NOT on a headcam cause its not actually your eyes, I'd love to see how does it look to others while they're down on the shot.

For example, taking a quick snap bending down on the table (without the queue), just showing what you're eyes would see there.

vCash

thanks. Heres another quick question although it might sound weird.

I've looked at hours of headcam snooker line practice on youtube and i can ALWAYS tell that the player (in the video) is on the correct line of the shot and it would pot the ball. However, I NEVER get the same sight when I am on the actual table. I have tried changing my head position, my stance but its all really random at this point. Is there any quick photo or video on how it should look when you down on the shot? NOT on a headcam cause its not actually your eyes, I'd love to see how does it look to others while they're down on the shot.

For example, taking a quick snap bending down on the table (without the queue), just showing what you're eyes would see there.
    I dunno how that would help your going to need to find the line for yourself and thatíll come through practice, when you miss get straight back up and make the adjustment if you missed thick or thin then youíll find your own way.

This is OmaMiesta's Country Flag

vCash

I aim the same way, I get down aiming almost full ball and adjust using very slight micro-adjustments of helping side on most pots. Nothing wrong with it as long as youre comfortable, it works, and you practice enough imo

This is throtts's Country Flag

vCash

Hi Derek,

Towards the end of a break when there is one singular red left sometimes a ""bit"" of side is helpful for ideal position. Like my practice workout the other day with one red on the table, placed 2" above the pink ( blue side ), only available in to black corner pockets, and getting on that red from a thin ( less than 1/4 ) potted black off its spot. EG - Green side potting the black, hitting CB at 7 o'clock to then pot the red same pocket. Plain bull would give you less control of the CB and would end up further away from the red. And, yes, I would play this shot in a match because it feels comfortable.

I understand your point though of course. Had a 2 hr practice earlier and did notice that I do mix it up during a break.

As I say, side is useful for tight position and that includes even if your not using a cushion.
    JP Majestic
    3/4
    57"
    17oz
    9.5mm Elk

vCash

What if the potting angle is correct, and you just do'nt hit the CB exactly at the center and you gonna put some unwanted side in CB and miss the pott.
    How you gonna find out that the potting angle was wrong ?

I mean, do you know a player (including pros) who's able to cue stright and hit the CB exactly in the center all the time and in a consistent way?

No criticism to your post, btw .
    It's just a question.
    Last edited by Ramon; 14th November 2017 at 04:51 AM.

This is throtts's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
    What if the potting angle is correct, and you just do'nt hit the CB exactly at the center and you gonna put some unwanted side in CB and miss the pott.
    How you gonna find out that the potting angle was wrong ?
    Agree. We all yap on on here and pointers are good but we all just have to find out ourselves and find out our own technique that suits each and one of us.

And yes, a lot do not hit centre ball, thats why it is good to learn the impact of it so you can make the necessary adjustments.
    JP Majestic
    3/4
    57"
    17oz
    9.5mm Elk

This is 147_shark's Country Flag

vCash

Default potting just with sides

i used to play like that...trouble is you will end up using side on all ur shots...it may work for a few days but the moment you switch to another table with a different cloth...different balls..you will notice that it simply doesnt work...best to learn your angles with centre ball striking and use side only when you really have to...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast