Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How long do you pause on the shot before delivery?

This is chrisg's Country Flag

vCash

Default How long do you pause on the shot before delivery?

I noticed when watching the Mark Selby/McManus match in Shanghai Masters that Selby pauses for 2 seconds on backswing before delivering the cue on line.

McManus pauses around 3 seconds.

Yuelong has roughly a 1/2 second pause.

It's interesting.

I'm interested to know is it better to pause longer or deliver after 1 second...?

What's your pause time before delivery?
    Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

This is Dave_marsy's Country Flag

vCash

When your eyes focus on the object ball after the back swing let the cue go ...has you get a bit older it takes longer I feel to focus.....it works for me

This is Terry Davidson's Country Flag

vCash

I think this is over-thinking things. Mark Alan has a really short rear pause and some people say none at all. Whatever feels natural to you and also as has been said when you feel you are locked onto the object ball.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

vCash

I haven't looked, but there is no way McManus pauses for 3 seconds. Maybe 1.5 seconds or something, but 3 seconds would be ridiculous.

As Terry says, don't worry about it. Find your own natural timing. Practice.

This is chrisg's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
    I haven't looked, but there is no way McManus pauses for 3 seconds. Maybe 1.5 seconds or something, but 3 seconds would be ridiculous.

As Terry says, don't worry about it. Find your own natural timing. Practice.
    I counted it and it came to 3 seconds.

Thats the time I got. He certainly paused longer than Selby though...
    Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

vCash

i think the final back pause would be in sync with when the eyes leave the cue ball/cue to focus on the ob. so if you switch your eyes to the od on the final front pause your not gonna have much if any back pause, like with mark alan. and as we can see his eyes and cue move quicker than other players, and that assists him with a short compact action.
    then if you switch during the back swing like most seem to do then there would be some kind of natural pause before the cue is delivered.
    but some may choose to watch the cue come all the way back to the bridge hand, so the pause/stop should be quite prolonged as the eyes will be switching closer towards back pause and would need time to focus on the shot/ob.
    Last edited by j6uk; 16th November 2017 at 09:31 PM.

This is tomwalker147's Country Flag

vCash

no wonder people struggle to just play the game to a half decent level with this many questions to think about.
    "just tap it in"

This is throtts's Country Flag

vCash

I was going to type that yesterday, Tom.

Keep saying all players should just play with whatever feels natural. That why the Pros all having different styles. You never try and copy a player you look up to and respect. You must find your own style.
    JP Majestic
    3/4
    57"
    17oz
    9.5mm Elk

vCash

all pretty standard, though very important stuff on this thread so far, but i agree it can be overwhelming for players who might be taking apart their game or just starting out and taking on many others overlooked thoughts.

vCash

wouldnt worry about copying or taking bits off other players, as learning via osmosis is well accepted and done by most who are trying to get good at anything.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast