Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shot choice

vCash

Default Shot choice

General thread for discussing shot choice.

Say you are up near the side cushion, blue is too thin and you'd need to dig in to the cue ball to get near the reds from a baulk colour. Do you play safe, leave a long red, or try the stupid dig in shot?

This is Csmith's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post

Say you are up near the side cushion, blue is too thin and you'd need to dig in to the cue ball to get near the reds from a baulk colour. Do you play safe, leave a long red, or try the stupid dig in shot?
    I think the correct answer is safe. But I would probably dig in, miss and leave a frame winning opportunity.

The answer however is likely dependent on the position of the balls, how well you are playing and your overall skillset.

vCash

How well your opponent is playing is a factor because I would consider leaving a long red tempter if they are missing the long shots. I used to play a guy who was a very good long potter and if I left anything he would find a pot when he was on form but he also had off days and instead of tightening up he would still go for the pots and miss them so it made sense to leave them on. The usual outcome was a rattled red left over the jaws for me.

This is JimMalone's Country Flag

vCash

As Csmith says this obviously depends on the exact picture on the table and also on the standings in the frame as well as who your opponent is.

This is tony9ball68's Country Flag

vCash
    Items for Sale

Safety = boring, go for the fun shot, snooker is supposed to be fun, so get rid of silly fears and go for everything!

This is dan_ormerod's Country Flag

vCash

As it is a general thread for discussing shot choice, a shot I always struggle with... It's a black ball game and the black is tight to the black cushion and the white is at least behind the baulk line and they are in line with each other or as good as.

Being undecided has caused me to lose 2 black ball games recently in the league I play in.

How do you lot play this shot?

Next time I am going to just go for the double because I am never able to get this safe.

As for the original post, in a match or against someone who is better than me I would play safe but otherwise I would take it on.

This is markz's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dan_ormerod View Post
    As it is a general thread for discussing shot choice, a shot I always struggle with... It's a black ball game and the black is tight to the black cushion and the white is at least behind the baulk line and they are in line with each other or as good as.

Being undecided has caused me to lose 2 black ball games recently in the league I play in.

Next time I am going to just go for the double because I am never able to get this safe.

As for the original post, in a match or against someone who is better than me I would play safe but otherwise I would take it on.
    Try the Alan McManus shot, hit black full ball for deliberate double kiss, should leave black on cushion and white back to the baulk end.
    Taom chalk, future of snooker

"It's like a nightmare, isn't it? It just keeps getting worse and worse."
    Quote from Color of Money, reminds me of the forum.

This is tomwalker147's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post

I'd dig in but i'm not missing much at the moment. Depends on your confidence and ability I guess.
    "just tap it in"

This is tomwalker147's Country Flag

vCash

I quite like playing the object ball past the middle pocket on this sort of shot.
    "just tap it in"

This is Cue crafty's Country Flag

vCash

Well worth practising dropping both balls on to either side cushions below the middle pockets. Once practised it's a lower level of nerves shot to play in that situation. You might leave the double but that's missed more often than got and in turn should leave you a pot.
    No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast