Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Davis - defeats on level terms

vCash

Default Joe Davis - defeats on level terms

I have read that Joe only lost 4 times when playing on level terms, all to Fred, but I've never seen any details. Except in the World Championship, Joe didn't often play on level terms. If we restrict ourselves to tournaments (as opposed to exhibition matches) I can find:

1948 Sunday

-- This message may have been cut off and the rest will only be shown to members. To become a member, Click HERE --

vCash

"The Times" for 28 March 1949 has "F Davis beat his brother J Davis at Leicester Square Hall on Saturday by 37 games to 34 in a week's match. It was s

-- You need to be registered to read the rest of this thread, To become a member, Click HERE --

This is DeanH's Country Flag

vCash

I believe the NOTW event was all level terms and Joe also lost to the following:
    1950 News Of The World Tournament
    Albert Brown

-- You need to be registered to read the rest of this thread, To become a member, Click HERE --
    Last edited by DeanH; 12th December 2017 at 12:18 PM.
    Up the TSF!

vCash

The 1958 and 1959 NoTW were not handicapped. All the earlier ones were handicapped and in these Joe only ever played level with Fred and Walter Donald

vCash

you are right there

Up the TSF!

vCash

That's really what I'm trying to find out. Does the oft-quoted four times on level terms relate to competitions or does it include exhibition matches.

vCash

I had not heard this quote but I doubt it is true, even in your first post you have more than 4 losses in level terms matches -- You need to be registered to read the rest of this thread, To become a member, Click HERE --
    Up the TSF!

vCash

Wikipedia article says "and an entire career which contained only 4 defeats off level terms, all of which came in later life and all of which were inf

vCash

be careful on what you read on Wikipedia -- You need to be registered to read the rest of this thread, To become a member, Click HERE --
    Up the TSF!

This is Cyril's Country Flag

vCash

Joe would afford the honour of playing him off level only to the current World Champion. The handicaps given to the rest of the field ranged from 7 po

Last edited by Cyril; 14th December 2017 at 02:50 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast