<

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Should I quit?

vCash

Default Should I quit?

My lad isn't interested... never practices and never really has which is a shame.

No time for a winter break.

That 3 cushion stuff looks like witchcraft to me... The shots they play look so cool.

This is sharkster63's Country Flag

vCash

How about making an attempt at trying to get a 2 year card, sounds like you could have a chance at winning one of the cue schoool tournaments. Even if you did not play the tour you could at least have a new goal. I am sure that the guy you beat in your home town is very high standard but not as high as the Cue school players. Just a tought... Cheers
    I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!

vCash

Default Should I quit?

He's close to getting on the main tour I think actually.

I'm too old, distracted and disinterested to take the gane that seriously.

just a long winded way of saying I wouldn't be good enough.

I score heavy, but the rest of my game is nowhere near the level and I'm usually only interested in winning when I can win in a visit or two.

This is sharkster63's Country Flag

vCash

Sounds like these top guys would get you to improve your game to win. I love watching a tactical game on tv, I learn allot from them. A 73 year old won a tourny in toronto, played very well, inspired me to keep at it and not worry about age and time it will take to get me to a decent standard. I still got a few years before I get to 73. Cheers and all the best...
    I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!

This is magicman's Country Flag

vCash

You have to have something to practice for imo. How about pitting yourself against the best amateurs on the EASB tour? Or if you're over forty their masters tour or the Legends events organised by Jason Francis? The Paul Hunter comp in Germany and the Gibraltar Open are pro events open to amateurs too and are a nice few days away with or without your family.

With a steel block table at home to practice on you're in a position many top amateurs and even many pros would envy, it seems a shame to give that up or even not to maximise its benefits.

This is tony9ball68's Country Flag

vCash
    Items for Sale

I have quit and restarted many times. I lose interest and although I have the opportunity to play lots, I just don't want to. Used to play almost every day (high break 130), but looking back I didn't know how I did. Health problems have caused me to quit again (severe back pain and failing eyesight as I get older!) and it's a relief. No more beating myself up for not bothering to play. If you are not motivated any more, just quit, it will feel like a weight off your shoulders and nothing to stop you coming out of retirement if you so wish. Christmas is round the corner and you should not be worrying about snooker, enjoy it with your family and make a decision in new year.

vCash

Thanks for the comments... They're insightful and it's nice that there's some perspective from both sides of the coin.

I'm not worried per say, it's more I feel disappointed with myself that I can't be bothered to practice and then I think I should quit and I'd be relieved... But then I think if I stop playing altogether what was the point of ever making the effort to improve in the first place.

Some serious first world problems

This is ace man's Country Flag

vCash

Maybe stop trying to associate snooker with hard work? Can't imagine someone at your level quitting...
    You'll always be a snooker player.

This is Tomppa's Country Flag

vCash

Default Should I quit?

well... which ever way you then decide, you should be okay with it. I had the same trouble almost ten years ago with a different sport. Spent the last season thinking about it seriously. What was the real aim for me in that sport, what would it take to achieve it and what was the alternative. I ended up quitting and have no regrets whatsoever, only left with good memories from the time spent on it as I gave the sport a complete effort. Then found this game and it's a bit easier to deal with such thoughts as I started way too old to even dream of making a living out of it. still the same attitude exists in me that I want to maximize any potential I got for this game, but the goals set are different. instead of aiming to be a pro, im aiming to get as good as i possibly can with the time resources i have.

vCash

I certainly never wanted to be a pro...

I was definitely good enough at 16 to have knuckled down and improved to the required level but I had other interests.
    If I'd wanted to be a pro then those other interests would have taken a back seat.

I did have a goal to make the maximum break and I've done that now... 1.5 times, lol

I think I might just have to force myself to start a chain of practice and see where I go... I might find some encouragement or enjoyment and then this was all just silly thoughts out loud.

If I don't, then it's obvious that I need a new hobby

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast