Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Should I quit?

This is tomwalker147's Country Flag

vCash

You should quit mate. will make winning the singles again easier for me
    "just tap it in"

This is tomwalker147's Country Flag

vCash

In all seriousness though, there are more important things than snooker however if you want to start playing some regional comps at weekends to see if that jogs abit of interest then i'm game.
    Local league snooker is tedious these days in my opinion. Everybody knows everybody, same old every week.
    "just tap it in"

This is Terry Davidson's Country Flag

vCash

From my own point of view I would hate to see a good player hang up his cue but from the sounds of it you'll be one of those TSF members like myself who gave it up for a long number of years and then got back to it. When I lived in the States it was all about work, work, work and there were no snooker tables around.

When I came back after 10 years or so I found I had a new drive and kept working at it and then when I retired I found even more motivation and practice time, however age does play a factor. The problem was work consumed every waking hour and looking back I regret it a bit but I tell myself I couldn't have the comfortable retirement I have without those years of hard work.

My advice is get as good as you can as young as you can because once you sell your business and retire you'll be looking for something to do and it won't be tree farming or growing carrots or peas. It will be SNOOKER.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

This is dcrackers147's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    Thanks for the comments... They're insightful and it's nice that there's some perspective from both sides of the coin.

I'm not worried per say, it's more I feel disappointed with myself that I can't be bothered to practice and then I think I should quit and I'd be relieved... But then I think if I stop playing altogether what was the point of ever making the effort to improve in the first place.

Some serious first world problems
    I think the problem is Pottr it sounds like you and me play to a similar standard and I have found myself in a similar situation, which resulted in me quitting my local snooker league this season. I have played in that leagues top division since a teenager and not missed a season. Since I met my Mrs in my early 20's I stopped travelling to competitions and I thought for years I could continue to play for fun in that local league and enjoy it...truth is I wasn't enjoying it and concluded why - for players like us to play to the standard we are capable of means we don't really know how to play for fun as from an early age we built an association of snooker with our own goals to improve and aspire to the standard of the professional game. I don't know about you but I only get a buzz if I am making a barrage of breaks, dominating table time hitting the ball so well I cant help but smile. I have gone down to playing one night a week with my Dad as more of a quality time thing more than the snooker and I have started to enjoy the time and the game that way. I hope you continue to play in some kind of way as you said it yourself we have put an awful lot of constructive hours into the game would be a shame to totally stop.

vCash

100% everything you said is accurate.

Good to know I'm not alone.

This is Tomppa's Country Flag

vCash

Default Should I quit?

dcrackers147 nailed all those reasons why i never continued the sport as a hobby after i quit. couldn't get the buzz from it unless it had those set goals. seems that i got some similar aspects with snooker as im not always as keen on practising if i know i wont be able to do it regularly enough. but at those times i just go and play someone for fun, i just drop the solo practising until i have the possibility to do it often enough to feel i can improve.

This is Csmith's Country Flag

vCash

I'm not nearly as good as some of you guys but I can relate a little. After 12 years I still love to practice, which is what keeps me going. But if given the option between playing 20-30 break players and practicing alone for months at a time, I'd rather practice alone. Though I would like to learn how to harness their ability to put all 6 colours safe in the span of 2 shots. Think of the defensive possibilities when you have a convincing lead!

Earlier this year the fire died a bit. Work and school just absolutely consumed me and I went for probably the longest stretch I've had since I started, not thinking about the game and barely watching any of it. I still practiced but it was mainly through habit than desire. Anyhow, once I met some professional goals and smoothed out things with school I rekindled the desire and am back to driving my girlfriend nuts with snooker on the TV most days. I'm also playing better than ever.

I was talking to a friend recently and mentioned that at this point it would be hard for me to quit altogether. Practice is so ingrained in my weekly routine that I would have to find something else to fill it with. Not that I'm not busy with other commitments, rather, given the choice between watching tv or some other entertainment I'd rather do something constructive. I guess I'd fill my time with a new hobby, chess perhaps?

vCash

Don't quit mate, keep your hand in a little you won't regret it when the bug bites you again cos your old form won't be far away.
    I've done the same thing with bodybuilding i was right into that and competed to a decent level but now the snooker bug has bitten me again I just tick that over in the background i train 2-3 times a week and do what I have to nothing more I think you would regret it if you lost your level of play cos your such a good player ashame to waste all the hard work.

vCash

Quit cue sports 5 years ago as nothing was going on.
    Don't think about it much anymore and rarely miss it, don't see the the point of playing this game without a competitive goal.

This is GeordieDS's Country Flag

vCash

If you can't be arsed to play on a table in your home then you may as well quit, i can't be arsed to go to a club and play now but i would most definitely play if i had my own snooker room.
    You should get a big TV in there and have a knock when the boxing is on
    It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast