Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Game or Sport????

This is Dave Walton's Country Flag

vCash

Default Game or Sport????

Okay so what are people's opinions on cue sports(general term) are they a game or a sport?
    And why do you think they are a game or Sport?

For me they are sport as it's a physical skill to deliver the cue at different speed and force aswell as hand eye coordination.

vCash

So it gets its own thread eh. Hows about making it a poll?
    I don't think the forum software allows such but simply post the score after your post. If you change your mind simply post again and edit the score.

Here's why I say it's not a sport.

Various sporting bodies, broadcasters, players and us mere mortals all have their own definition in their heads. Take away the influences of those bodies and what else defines a sport? The dictionary of course . Although sometimes over many years a dictionary definition of a word can change because of popular use the definition of what makes a game a sport virtually always mentions physical exertion and prowess.

You can say that moving a chess piece requires some physical exertion, throwing a dart, dealing a card etc. but surely there has to be a line between doing what most able bodied humans can do that once crossed makes it a sport. For me its the dictionary definition physical exertion and prowess that is that line but with a little bit more in the definition, that being physical training.

So a sport in my book has to be a game or a pastime that requires you to be of a decent fitness, where you train to maintain or improve on that fitness level, and where your game improves because you get fitter and or stronger. Combine those attributes with prowess stamina and skill and you have a sport regardless if it is a competitive one or not.

Snooker just does not fall into that category, Old fat buggers like me can play for hours on end no problem yet I can get more knackered carrying the shopping to the car. I'm nowhere near as fit as l once was yet I can because of technique put more power into a shot than many a younger guy.

A weedy looking bloke such as Alex Higgins or a fat bugger like Bill Werbeniuk could and did play brilliantly even absolutely sloshed out of their brain. They may have played the game in a sporting manner but they were cueists not sportsmen, not in a million years.

SPORT: 1 GAME: 1
    Last edited by MrPearwood; 14th December 2017 at 07:06 AM.

vCash

Definitely a game.
    Just like darts is a game.
    Always cracks me up when I hear Phil Taylor is hitting the gym

This is Odrl's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MrPearwood View Post
    You can say that moving a chess piece requires some physical exertion, throwing a dart, dealing a card etc.
    There is a big difference between snooker and something like chess in this regard though. If I played a game of chess against you and Magnus Carlsen was standing by my side and telling me what move to make, I could make the moves just as well as he could, so you would stand no chance. But if I played a game of snooker against you and I had John Higgins telling me what shot to play, I would still be guaranteed to lose, because I do not have the physical skill to execute those shots. So there is definitely a strong physical element to snooker, even if it is not directly related to strength or fitness.

My personal opinion is that snooker is both a sport and a game, just like basketball is, for instance. The word "sport" to me implies that there is some level of organized competition, with tournaments and officials and governing bodies and everything that goes along with that, regardless of whether the game in question is particularly physical or not. So I would say that you are watching the sport of snooker whenever you watch a tournament on TV, but referring to the activity itself as a sport might be a bit of a stretch in some cases.

vCash

"activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."

Taken from google definition
    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
    National Snooker Expo
    26-27 May 2018
    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

This is GeordieDS's Country Flag

vCash

Snooker is just a game, sport is a physical activity so unless you have a disability or an illness of some kind then it's a doddle, irrespective of the standard you play the game
    It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

This is Terry Davidson's Country Flag

vCash

The IOC and most country's sports governing bodies recognize cue sports as a 'sport' so that should be the end of the discussion. Steve Davis would like to see it only referred to as a sport. I don't really care what you call it, it's tough enough for me
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

This is Dave Walton's Country Flag

vCash

Some interesting views here ? keep them coming.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    The IOC and most country's sports governing bodies recognize cue sports as a 'sport' so that should be the end of the discussion.
    When did the international olympic comittee write the English language?

This is Cue crafty's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
    Some interesting views here ? keep them coming.
    Hi Dave , I voiced my opinion on another thread on this subject but seeing as we have a thread dedicated I'll have another bash as I think I have an interesting point.....which is Why do people care?

If snooker is a game it is no lesser activity in terms of skill than any sport. If it's a game why would that be a bad thing?

A lot of people seem to feel strongly that it should be called a sport. Is this because there is a macho image associated with sport whereas a Game sounds a bit gay?

It's amusing me because there really is very little difference between these two terms in any dictionary and to be honest if you read most of them snooker can be classed a game or a sport.
    No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast