Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Applying pressure to cue

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
    This is a strawman argument, a boxer would have difficulty timing the maximum speed at time of contact and he would also have a hard time not following through given the momentum.
    Go ahead and count the time on this high speed film and get back to me when you can disprove the physics.
    http://billiards.colostate.edu/high_...ew/HSVA-57.htm

Or even a squishy tennis ball
    https://youtu.be/Drj_YaaSEuU

or a squishy golf ball
    https://youtu.be/6TA1s1oNpbk

That golf ball clip is amazing. Wonder how much a cue ball would change if hit like that? Would probably shatter though.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
    That golf ball clip is amazing. Wonder how much a cue ball would change if hit like that? Would probably shatter though.
    I wouldn't want to be the one to hit a billiard ball with a golf club, the shock wave up your arm would be brutal

This is Tomppa's Country Flag

vCash

Default Applying pressure to cue

I've noticed myself bending the shaft on some shots (mostly deep screws) but i don't really think it would make a difference to the way contact happens between tip and ball. might make timing and feel easier perhaps as there's some resistance in the early part of delivery that eases when you release the pressure on the cue, hence accelerating better. I never do that on any other shots than the ones that need power, so I'm guessing it's a way to gain more control over the delivery on powershots.

This is Cue crafty's Country Flag

vCash

Fascinating me this one chaps, I've been wondering if I was seeing things watching ROS do this but also saw CAOs cue do this the other day. He appears in the vid to pull the butt of the cue up as he draws it back?

Hope someone can answer the question as it gonna drive me nuts not knowing. Lol.
    No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

vCash

A necessary part of putting some shoulder into the stroke?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
    Fascinating me this one chaps, I've been wondering if I was seeing things watching ROS do this but also saw CAOs cue do this the other day. He appears in the vid to pull the butt of the cue up as he draws it back?

Hope someone can answer the question as it gonna drive me nuts not knowing. Lol.
    I saw this during Cao and Neil’s Final. At first I thought I was seeing things or it was an illusion of lighting. Knowing now what my game has been missing I’m off to try this and lift my breaks from the 20’s to a ton.

This is rimmer10's Country Flag

vCash

I tried it in the club last night after noticing Cao doing it in the final. Found it hard to get right but on the few occasions that I believe I did it felt great. I started the final delivery with pulling the cue up against my chin more than my chest. Felt almost like I was pulling back a bow and the delivery was like releasing the arrow. Hope I'm making sense here.

This is Cue crafty's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
    I tried it in the club last night after noticing Cao doing it in the final. Found it hard to get right but on the few occasions that I believe I did it felt great. I started the final delivery with pulling the cue up against my chin more than my chest. Felt almost like I was pulling back a bow and the delivery was like releasing the arrow. Hope I'm making sense here.
    I think you've got something there mate, the words pulling back a bow really strike a chord. in Slashers golf ball vid you see the ball compressed , this is achieved by creating coil and resistance in a golf "back swing" which is then "released" in the follow through. Again the timing of all of that is key.

I think this is maybe similar, we could be on the right track here.
    Last edited by Cue crafty; 20th December 2017 at 08:59 AM.
    No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

This is rimmer10's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
    I think you've got something there mate, the words pulling back a bow really strike a chord. in Slashers golf ball vid you see the ball compressed , this is achieved by creating coil and resistance in a golf "back swing" which is then "released" in the follow through. Again the timing of all of that is key.

I think this is maybe similar, we could be on the right track here.
    Good comparison. I can get my head around that. As you say timing is the crucial part. That's why it's not easy and requires a lot of practice to get it right. And to be honest as a 50 year old bloke who only goes once a week for a bash about with a couple of mates it's probably too much of a change. But if I was a nipper with ambitions I would definitively persevere a nd try to implement it into my game. I feel it's definitely the way to go. Try it for yourself folks

vCash

I have loved reading all this haha. Didnít Dennis Taylor say something about it before during a game with Judd?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast