Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 75

Thread: Applying pressure to cue

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Posts
    2,195
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
    This is a strawman argument, a boxer would have difficulty timing the maximum speed at time of contact and he would also have a hard time not following through given the momentum.
    Go ahead and count the time on this high speed film and get back to me when you can disprove the physics.
    http://billiards.colostate.edu/high_...ew/HSVA-57.htm

    Or even a squishy tennis ball
    https://youtu.be/Drj_YaaSEuU

    or a squishy golf ball
    https://youtu.be/6TA1s1oNpbk

    That golf ball clip is amazing. Wonder how much a cue ball would change if hit like that? Would probably shatter though.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Posts
    384
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
    That golf ball clip is amazing. Wonder how much a cue ball would change if hit like that? Would probably shatter though.
    I wouldn't want to be the one to hit a billiard ball with a golf club, the shock wave up your arm would be brutal

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2014
    This is Tomppa's Country Flag

    Posts
    10
    vCash
    1000

    Default Applying pressure to cue

    I've noticed myself bending the shaft on some shots (mostly deep screws) but i don't really think it would make a difference to the way contact happens between tip and ball. might make timing and feel easier perhaps as there's some resistance in the early part of delivery that eases when you release the pressure on the cue, hence accelerating better. I never do that on any other shots than the ones that need power, so I'm guessing it's a way to gain more control over the delivery on powershots.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Southend
    This is Cue crafty's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,077
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Fascinating me this one chaps, I've been wondering if I was seeing things watching ROS do this but also saw CAOs cue do this the other day. He appears in the vid to pull the butt of the cue up as he draws it back?

    Hope someone can answer the question as it gonna drive me nuts not knowing. Lol.
    No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Posts
    384
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    A necessary part of putting some shoulder into the stroke?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Posts
    7
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
    Fascinating me this one chaps, I've been wondering if I was seeing things watching ROS do this but also saw CAOs cue do this the other day. He appears in the vid to pull the butt of the cue up as he draws it back?

    Hope someone can answer the question as it gonna drive me nuts not knowing. Lol.
    I saw this during Cao and Neil’s Final. At first I thought I was seeing things or it was an illusion of lighting. Knowing now what my game has been missing I’m off to try this and lift my breaks from the 20’s to a ton.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Poole
    This is rimmer10's Country Flag

    Posts
    503
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    I tried it in the club last night after noticing Cao doing it in the final. Found it hard to get right but on the few occasions that I believe I did it felt great. I started the final delivery with pulling the cue up against my chin more than my chest. Felt almost like I was pulling back a bow and the delivery was like releasing the arrow. Hope I'm making sense here.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Southend
    This is Cue crafty's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,077
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
    I tried it in the club last night after noticing Cao doing it in the final. Found it hard to get right but on the few occasions that I believe I did it felt great. I started the final delivery with pulling the cue up against my chin more than my chest. Felt almost like I was pulling back a bow and the delivery was like releasing the arrow. Hope I'm making sense here.
    I think you've got something there mate, the words pulling back a bow really strike a chord. in Slashers golf ball vid you see the ball compressed , this is achieved by creating coil and resistance in a golf "back swing" which is then "released" in the follow through. Again the timing of all of that is key.

    I think this is maybe similar, we could be on the right track here.
    Last edited by Cue crafty; 20th December 2017 at 08:59 AM.
    No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Poole
    This is rimmer10's Country Flag

    Posts
    503
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
    I think you've got something there mate, the words pulling back a bow really strike a chord. in Slashers golf ball vid you see the ball compressed , this is achieved by creating coil and resistance in a golf "back swing" which is then "released" in the follow through. Again the timing of all of that is key.

    I think this is maybe similar, we could be on the right track here.
    Good comparison. I can get my head around that. As you say timing is the crucial part. That's why it's not easy and requires a lot of practice to get it right. And to be honest as a 50 year old bloke who only goes once a week for a bash about with a couple of mates it's probably too much of a change. But if I was a nipper with ambitions I would definitively persevere a nd try to implement it into my game. I feel it's definitely the way to go. Try it for yourself folks

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2017

    Posts
    2
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    I have loved reading all this haha. Didnít Dennis Taylor say something about it before during a game with Judd?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •