Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 75

Thread: Applying pressure to cue

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Tavistock
    This is tomperty's Country Flag

    Posts
    107
    vCash
    1000

    Question Applying pressure to cue

    Hi there

    As an enthusiast of cueing actions, a connoisseur if you will, I've noticed something common to some players cueing actions that I've never read information on before. I've noticed that while watching certain down-the-cue angles of players such as Ronnie and Judd, on certain shots you can visibly see the cue bending quite a lot on their final backswing. I've read about bringing your chest to the cue as a guide but I haven't heard anyone mention the pressure between the chest and cue. I would have naturally thought you'd want as little pressure as possible as to not bring the cue off line but I've seen otherwise.



    You can see here at about 8 seconds that he's delivering the cue and it really shows the bend. This is the same for Judd too though I can't find a video.

    Any opinions?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    This is throtts's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,615
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    My conclusion / reason -

    Enhances the tip ""to stay"" with the CB for longer because on approach the shaft has this curvature that allows it. Cao did the same bending of the shaft on a power screw too ( screwing back off the OB blue in the green pocket for the pink , I think ). Thats my take on it. On all shots the tip must stay with the OB but on power screws its even more paramount.

    Never tried it, but I will so soon.
    JP Majestic
    3/4
    57"
    17oz
    9.5mm Elk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Posts
    384
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by throtts View Post
    My conclusion / reason -

    Enhances the tip ""to stay"" with the CB for longer because on approach the shaft has this curvature that allows it. Cao did the same bending of the shaft on a power screw too ( screwing back off the OB blue in the green pocket for the pink , I think ). Thats my take on it. On all shots the tip must stay with the OB but on power screws its even more paramount.

    Never tried it, but I will so soon.
    Physically impossible for that to happen, CB is long gone. This long lingering myth has been dispelled many times and is a waste of time and energy for players trying to achieve the impossible. If you want more reaction you simply need the accuracy of striking and more cue speed, no amount of follow through is going to help, the amount of follow through is just a product of cue speed, so you only need to bring the cue to a natural finish.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Tavistock
    This is tomperty's Country Flag

    Posts
    107
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
    Physically impossible for that to happen, CB is long gone. This long lingering myth has been dispelled many times and is a waste of time and energy for players trying to achieve the impossible. If you want more reaction you simply need the accuracy of striking and more cue speed, no amount of follow through is going to help, the amount of follow through is just a product of cue speed, so you only need to bring the cue to a natural finish.
    If there was a mechanical cue set up which can either move at a constant speed (say 10m/s) or accelerate up to and beyond 10m/s. Do you think there would be a difference in the length screwed back on two identical shots? It would be quite interesting to see the result

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Posts
    384
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomperty View Post
    If there was a mechanical cue set up which can either move at a constant speed (say 10m/s) or accelerate up to and beyond 10m/s. Do you think there would be a difference in the length screwed back on two identical shots? It would be quite interesting to see the result
    Acceleration, follow through or starting distance from the CB have no effect on the reaction, the reason for acceleration is to keep the tension out of your arm.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Tavistock
    This is tomperty's Country Flag

    Posts
    107
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
    Acceleration, follow through or starting distance from the CB have no effect on the reaction, the reason for acceleration is to keep the tension out of your arm.
    Do you think the two experiments would be the same?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Posts
    384
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomperty View Post
    Do you think the two experiments would be the same?
    The speed at the time of contact would be the only determining factor.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2014
    This is Tomppa's Country Flag

    Posts
    10
    vCash
    1000

    Default Applying pressure to cue

    So all boxers are wrong as they punch through opponents head? They should definitely be corrected!! ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Posts
    384
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomppa View Post
    So all boxers are wrong as they punch through opponents head? They should definitely be corrected!! ?
    This is a strawman argument, a boxer would have difficulty timing the maximum speed at time of contact and he would also have a hard time not following through given the momentum.
    Go ahead and count the time on this high speed film and get back to me when you can disprove the physics.
    http://billiards.colostate.edu/high_...ew/HSVA-57.htm

    Or even a squishy tennis ball
    https://youtu.be/Drj_YaaSEuU

    or a squishy golf ball
    https://youtu.be/6TA1s1oNpbk
    Last edited by Slasher; 19th December 2017 at 09:13 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    This is throtts's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,615
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
    Physically impossible for that to happen, CB is long gone. This long lingering myth has been dispelled many times and is a waste of time and energy for players trying to achieve the impossible. If you want more reaction you simply need the accuracy of striking and more cue speed, no amount of follow through is going to help, the amount of follow through is just a product of cue speed, so you only need to bring the cue to a natural finish.
    I have often just stroked a ball with screw and the reaction sometimes has me surprised due to the lack of acceleration I used through the CB. Bit like when the comms say ""his hit that too well hasn't he"".

    Come on, guys. Opinions on why some bend the shaft then..
    JP Majestic
    3/4
    57"
    17oz
    9.5mm Elk

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •