Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Scoring Consistency - Century break players help please

This is inevermissblue's Country Flag

vCash

My approach is quite effective for me. I pretty much dismiss the colour. I pay most attention to the reds when break building. In other words...I'm playing a red for a red(s). The colour is merely the ball inbetween. If you emphasise more on the choices of reds, you get much better options from the colours. If this makes sense.
    Also I myself have associated varied playing conditions as an effect on my performance, but I now no longer believe this. As my scoring ability is usually determined by my current confidence in my technique at that given time. As I tend to be more mindful of position if I'm happy with my potting etc. So therefore score very heavily as a result. Other times I'm not quite happy with my technique and so pay far too much attention to the pots and subsequently positional play will suffer.
    I say this because I played at my Works social club after a 12 hour day shift with a rack cue that was nasty. The table was not clean and the balls were old club types. I still went on to attempt another century. Sadly missing the brown with the rest on 78! So I guess conditions aren't as harmful as I once thought. No longer an excuse for me.
    Last edited by inevermissblue; 13th January 2018 at 01:31 PM.
    Cheap and Cheerful! 😄

vCash

Like the sound of this approach and will try to remain conscious of it in my next practice session along with 'playing into an area' as opposed to becoming obsessed with pin point position.

This is illustrated quite well in one of Nic Barrow's videos where he uses the white piece of paper as an approximate landing spot for position. There are several times when even he misses his intended position by some way and has to revert to plan B.

vCash

In my experience the most talented scorers had very limited success in the comps and would often lose out to the seasoned players who cue solid and left them glued to the baulk cushion all match. I'd take 3 60's over a century all day. 100 only wins you 1 frame but I know what you are saying.
    This is me all day... I've always been able to make big breaks for fun but it's not often as important as having a solid approach to winning and playing the correct shot at the correct time.

It sounds silly but the best advice I can give is to just stay at the table. Play the shot that allows you to stay at the table, the break is not really important.

If you stay at the table long enough and often enough you will score big breaks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2