Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Mark Allen Technique

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2017

    Posts
    278
    vCash
    1000

    Default Mark Allen Technique

    What do people think about Mark's technique?

    Observations in general is he has no rear pause but seem's to counter this with a highly effective short backswing in the balls and a real nice positive strike. He's a really good fluent player when he's on but seems to struggle more when he's not is this mainly down to his natural learned technique?

    I know he was coached by Griffiths suprised Terry didn't attempt to use the 105% technique with him.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    This is narl's Country Flag

    Posts
    3,568
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Not pretty but it works, it bemuses me how he's left handed, sights with his left eye but for some reason has to jut out his jaw to get the cue under that eye. You would think it would fall there naturally.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Samobor
    This is ace man's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,149
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    I don't understand how he's able to play so smooth and relaxed with such a short backswing. By rights he should be twitchy and limited, but on the contrary...he doesn't appear to have any limits at all.
    For me, one of the most unorthodox players out there. Simply incredible.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Barnstaple
    This is vmax's Country Flag

    Posts
    380
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Uses a backswing short enough for the power needed, very short for soft shots, longer for power shots, like Hendry says very little chance of deceleration and ideal for the super fast conditions the pros play under.
    His grip is very light, cue just resting in the top of the fingers and uses the snap shut of the hand to generate useful power. Follow through is relevant to the power used, reminiscent of Alex Higgins apart from the grip.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Posts
    387
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ace man View Post
    I don't understand how he's able to play so smooth and relaxed with such a short backswing. By rights he should be twitchy and limited, but on the contrary...he doesn't appear to have any limits at all.
    For me, one of the most unorthodox players out there. Simply incredible.
    Because many of elements of technique that are purported to be important are not, break it down to it's mechanical core and the snooker stroke is simple.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    This is dcrackers147's Country Flag

    Posts
    428
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
    Because many of elements of technique that are purported to be important are not, break it down to it's mechanical core and the snooker stroke is simple.
    100% provided you deliver the cue in the right place with the right power on the right line...really doesn't matter how you get there. I think Allens loose grip is the main reason he doesn't twitch as much as you would expect under pressure. Thats grip takes alot of the tension away.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2017

    Posts
    278
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
    100% provided you deliver the cue in the right place with the right power on the right line...really doesn't matter how you get there. I think Allens loose grip is the main reason he doesn't twitch as much as you would expect under pressure. Thats grip takes alot of the tension away.
    It's mainly because the backswing is the correct length for the power of the shot so the cue only has to accelerate over short distance.
    If you use the longer more traditional backswing and try to play a little touch screw shot this is when the decel can rob you of the pot because your moving over a longer distance with the cue and trying to reduce the amount of impact that would have force plus mass as the cue gathers more momentum over distance you subconsciously try to correct that by slowing the cue down as it goes through.

    With the mark allen technique you simply don't have the time to have that problem, by the time you start the acceleration the stroke is finished in the correct distance for the delivery of the appropriate power so your brain just releases the cue obviously a loose grip is important tho no matter which method of delivery you choose.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    London
    This is armstm's Country Flag

    Posts
    518
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    #gurner #aesthetic
    Quote Originally Posted by narl View Post
    Not pretty but it works, it bemuses me how he's left handed, sights with his left eye but for some reason has to jut out his jaw to get the cue under that eye. You would think it would fall there naturally.
    Highest Match Break 39 (November 10th 2015)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Posts
    387
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
    100% provided you deliver the cue in the right place with the right power on the right line...really doesn't matter how you get there. I think Allens loose grip is the main reason he doesn't twitch as much as you would expect under pressure. Thats grip takes alot of the tension away.
    Exactly Grip and muscle tension are the most important elements of doing exactly that.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Samobor
    This is ace man's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,149
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
    100% provided you deliver the cue in the right place with the right power on the right line...really doesn't matter how you get there. I think Allens loose grip is the main reason he doesn't twitch as much as you would expect under pressure. Thats grip takes alot of the tension away.
    Obviously his grip stays loose during impact. Anyone can have loose grip during pause(s) and feathering. I'd probably squeeze the life out of the cue just prior to impact with the cue ball if I tried to play with backswing that short.
    Not saying that one should have backswing length like Luca Brecel, but at least in my case I need *some* reasonable length, otherwise I'm too tense.
    I guess each player is different and he needs to find something that works exclusively for him. Copying somebody else, no matter how good, may not be a good idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •