Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Punishment from playing better players

This is dcrackers147's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bigandyg View Post
    Remember a young Hendry was happy to get whipped by Steve Davis in ten or a dozen challenge matches just to learn .
    knowing what Henry is like and his mind set though I am sure he would have been obsessing over ways to eventually dominate the Nugget

This is Tommykiid's Country Flag

vCash

Default Punishment from playing better players

going through this myself at the minute joined a new club and the lads are fantastic on and off the table pushes you to the practice table and want to improve and slowly in increments it seems to be happening

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Derek P View Post
    Mini goal 1. = win 1 frame
    Mini goal 2. = not allowed to be one of the scrappy one's

and I'm still at the level I do daft things like that so frustrating tedisbill on your 87 some days I can be on 60-70 odd but I'm running out of easy reds miss a cannon or jaw something difficult down the rail but I'm not too dissapointed with those its those daft ones like other day i missed the pink on 60 i was bang on it aswell so no reason to miss I had potted so many good balls and played nice shots to get down there then duff the second last ball just concentration i think which I'm hoping will improve by the pressure being applied to me by higher quality practice partners I'll need every ball I can to win a frame against lower players or players level with myself I'm winning the frames long before I would need the last 2 balls when I am getting way too many chances to make breaks it's no great achievement when you can win a frame in 1-2 chances alone that to me is only happening once every 10-20 frames i play the rest of the time I'm below that level of consistency.
    I've never really thought it was lack of concentration. Whenever I was on for a good break, I was concentrating more than ever.

It would have been things like bad shot selection, knowing exactly how to play certain shots, what order to take the last few balls in. All things like that would have stopped me.

I can't say it's ever been concentration with me. I wouldn't suddenly forget to concentrate on 70+.

This is dcrackers147's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
    I've never really thought it was lack of concentration. Whenever I was on for a good break, I was concentrating more than ever.

It would have been things like bad shot selection, knowing exactly how to play certain shots, what order to take the last few balls in. All things like that would have stopped me.

I can't say it's ever been concentration with me. I wouldn't suddenly forget to concentrate on 70+.
    I think what you have described is learning from experience and a natural progression in the learning process in getting to 100 break standard. As Derek P has said it's those last few tricky balls he is struggling with. I am sure you would agree that it's likely at some point during Derek's breaks of 70 - 80 that there would have been good opportunities to bring those tricky balls into play whilst maintaining good position. It's just recognising those shots and the pattern of the balls. Of course there are times when the opportunities don't present themselves to make an easier 100. This is when you simply have to play to give yourself a shot be it a tough one down the rail or sometimes even a double and play it with a what will be will be mindset.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
    I think what you have described is learning from experience and a natural progression in the learning process in getting to 100 break standard. As Derek P has said it's those last few tricky balls he is struggling with. I am sure you would agree that it's likely at some point during Derek's breaks of 70 - 80 that there would have been good opportunities to bring those tricky balls into play whilst maintaining good position. It's just recognising those shots and the pattern of the balls. Of course there are times when the opportunities don't present themselves to make an easier 100. This is when you simply have to play to give yourself a shot be it a tough one down the rail or sometimes even a double and play it with a what will be will be mindset.
    Yes that's right. So many times you see players leave all the problems until the end and then it all falls apart.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
    I broke down on 89 a couple of weeks ago had 3 reds sitting on side rails i got one of them but it was a tricky pot but ok you would go for it if it was the only 1 the second last one stopped me and i think i played the shot incorrectly as the red was on the side rail very near the middle pocket which makes it an extemely difficult pot to drill down the rail into the black pocket my inexperience in making big breaks was probably what stopped me cos I've not played the cannon from the last 1-2 easy reds which i should have looking back now.

To be honest with you I wouldn't have ever thought about that until I watched my mate play last night he was always aware of the right shots to nudge these kind of balls on and I watch hours and hours of snooker on tv so maybe I'm a fool cos I've seen those shots played by the pro's a hundred times but it wasn't until I seen it in front of me that I twigged this is one area where I am going wrong and stopping me making really decent breaks more consistently.

The other thing is duffing the odd ball or positional shot I can't make out am potting everything all the time and then just missing a cannon or shot selection cos clearly am not like tedisbill is saying my mates overall approach to the table is much better than mine but this was one of the main things which jumped out.

vCash

I don't quite understand that last sentence. Are you saying that you miss balls because your approach to the shot/table is sloppy?

This is Csmith's Country Flag

vCash

Yes that's right. So many times you see players leave all the problems until the end and then it all falls apart.
    That would be me I guess. I've been in the 70's and 80's a lot recently, more than ever, but I run out of options. I don't even think about nudging balls off the cushions until the last few, but that's probably what is hurting me.

Another important aspect of playing top class players is just becoming accustom to the fewer chances. I've had some strong practice partners over the years and there is a huge difference between making frame winning breaks against someone who only gives you 0.5 chances per frame and someone who gives you 5-6 chances. They force you to bear down and really make the most of your opportunities.

This is markz's Country Flag

vCash

I don't quite understand that last sentence. Are you saying that you miss balls because your approach to the shot/table is sloppy?
    Sounds like me, rough around the edges compared to solid century makers.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Csmith View Post
    That would be me I guess. I've been in the 70's and 80's a lot recently, more than ever, but I run out of options. I don't even think about nudging balls off the cushions until the last few, but that's probably what is hurting me.

Another important aspect of playing top class players is just becoming accustom to the fewer chances. I've had some strong practice partners over the years and there is a huge difference between making frame winning breaks against someone who only gives you 0.5 chances per frame and someone who gives you 5-6 chances. They force you to bear down and really make the most of your opportunities.
    Thatís what I need I can knock in the breaks when I get loads of chances against lesser opposition but itís intermittent I feel by playing the good players am going to have to find my potting boots faster with little to no chances coming my way.

And tedisbill Iím guilty of missing the odd midrange ball when I need to do anything much with the white stun/screw I partially blame this on not playing for 5 years and also too much time on slow club tables I seem to hit it way too hard when Iím on a match table but I canít reallt make excuses I just donít cue those balls very well and sometimes break down when I shouldnít.

The other area is probably positional shot selection I think is ok but after seeing a century break player do it in front of me I know itís just ok and not great and I need to work on my break building skills with nudging balls leaving favourable situations and see the game better rather than probably just being capable of picking off reds that are out in open then running out of ideas more to it than just splitting the bunch obviously

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast