<

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Last post for a while but advice sought

This is Terry Davidson's Country Flag

vCash

It sounds to me as if there was some kind of personality problem with Frank as he is a good and patient coach according to those who have had training with him (I haven't but he coached Nic Barrow way back before time began).

My advice would be to book a 4hr lesson with Nic Barrow. He is in Milton Keynes and he has done a lot of work with beginners and right up to top pro level. Then go away and practice what he tells you. I can't speak for 'snookerdad' as I've never met him and as for Roy, please read the string regarding his coaching, I'll not make a comment one way or another.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

vCash

I think it was Frank, heís an elderly gentleman and extremely nice chap. I think about 75-80 ish?

He said he would assess if there was anything worth working with before lesson and be honest if it wasnít a game I could progress in.

He didnít say anything at the end of the lesson and didnít try to rebook so I guess that was the answer.

Extremely knowledgable guy and good bloke but that is what happened!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Snookclops View Post
    Thanks all, will read pm and be back soon, at work presently.

Issue is my 27 was like 3 years ago and I am just stuck. I do stupid things and donít know what to do at some points.

I play a mate who played a lot as a kid. Itís always super close, but I lose 95% of frames.

I have done SO much work on technical. I bought nics book, even my playing partner says I look textbook.

I just want to see some improvement, I probably have, but perhaps being good enough to string a few breaks together. 9/10 I pot a good red and miss a colour.

I also seem to leave my opponent in the balls, yet even when he makes errors, I am on cush with a difficult pot. I just donít get chances like the ones I give away. I miss pots by a fraction.

This is turning in to a moan, but given how much Iíve learned, I should be moving forward. I made a big leap forward about 3 years ago and havenít really improved, despite practice.

The coaches just told me things, like getting down on shot straight, slow backswing, follow to chest etc, but I know the theory. I know it inside out and back to front. I perhaps need a plan.

I know Iím not going to hit tons without 20+ hours per week for years, but getting more 10-30s would be great. Some frames I barely make a break! I just have long pots miss or mess ups safety and end up seeing my opponent mop up easy balls, balls I could probably clear I just only ever get a long pot, not an easy chance. Often these are from complete errors from opponent yet I never end up in the middle with a pot on, and then Iíll miss it.

This game really is hard
    Thats a problem with shot selection and your long game if your letting guys in all the time your just beating yourself.

Snooker is a hard game as others have said, don't think just cos you are 35 you can't improve your game that's nonsense but yeah realistic goals are important. I'm 37, I played since I was 8 and got to a reasonable standard in my teens of making 30-40 breaks nothing spectacular in my late 20s i really fell in love with the game all over again and spent a year working with one of Glasgow's best coaches and former ex professional Jim Donnely he really helped my game and after a break from the game for a few years I'm back working with Jim and every time I see him he brings my game up another notch I also get out there and play the best players i can find and pick the 100 breakers brains on this forum daily you probably have seen my posts.

I can make 70-80 breaks semi regularly but I would say my most consistent kind of break is still in the 40s and 50s, anyway my point is with my level I don't expect to be turning pro as a middle aged guy with limited amatuer ability but i do fancy improving my game and maybe being good enough to represent my country at the european championships so you absolutely can improve at any age and any level.

For you I think your goal should be to get a good coach you can work with and then set yourself some targets like winning your local league making your first 50 break etc give yourself a realistic time frame for this 12-18 months of hard work probably then you be on your way and be even hungrier for the game dont get down about it this is what snooker is about its a tough sport only the most determined characters and mentally strong people can get to the top of this game so don't sell yourself short with enough work you could be hitting hundred breaks in a few years time.

vCash

Totally agree, but my first goal was to beat my friend after he beat me many times.

I must have done 15 hours a week and obsessively researched the game for about a year. I got better but my friend still beat me, almost every frame.

Once I had done about 3 hours a day for a week and he turned up, drunk, and still beat me. With no practice.

This is why I am here,

Perhaps itís mental. I usually get in the lead in the first frame, get a few in offs and do a stupid shot and lose narrowly. Then I lose it completely and I canít pot a ball. However, he reaches a level I donít, he might make 20s more regularly but they are nearly always close games.

Driving me mad. Iíve succeeded at everything Iíve tried with practice. I am super disciplined when I tried but losing over and over just broke me, I canít beat this guy and as soon as the bull**** starts, the flukes he seems to get over and over (he admits I am unlucky), plus my stupid decisions....usually an in off etc, I weaken and canít get into it. Iíd still say heís a better player but one would think Iíd win 30% of frames, given most are finished on blue, pink or black. Rarely am I beater before colours.

This is DeanH's Country Flag

vCash

I can recommend snookerdad, he is located in Chandlers Ford if that is any easier for you
    Up the TSF!

This is markz's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Snookclops View Post
    Totally agree, but my first goal was to beat my friend after he beat me many times.

I must have done 15 hours a week and obsessively researched the game for about a year. I got better but my friend still beat me, almost every frame.

Once I had done about 3 hours a day for a week and he turned up, drunk, and still beat me. With no practice.

This is why I am here,

Perhaps it’s mental. I usually get in the lead in the first frame, get a few in offs and do a stupid shot and lose narrowly. Then I lose it completely and I can’t pot a ball. However, he reaches a level I don’t, he might make 20s more regularly but they are nearly always close games.

Driving me mad. I’ve succeeded at everything I’ve tried with practice. I am super disciplined when I tried but losing over and over just broke me, I can’t beat this guy and as soon as the bull**** starts, the flukes he seems to get over and over (he admits I am unlucky), plus my stupid decisions....usually an in off etc, I weaken and can’t get into it. I’d still say he’s a better player but one would think I’d win 30% of frames, given most are finished on blue, pink or black. Rarely am I beater before colours.
    What sort of practice were you doing? The hours you were putting in were easily enough to get improvement.
    Taom chalk, future of snooker

vCash

Sounds like you're beating yourself up about it too much. Snooker is very much a mental game and it's almost impossible to win if you aren't enjoying it. Maybe you should take a break for a week or 2 then come back to it?

I have a theory that your body will learn how to play snooker before your brain is convinced you can do it. That's why you smack in a long one and land plumb on the black, then miss it, or speed up and start playing much better for a few shots.

vCash

Mainly line up, but I had some routines like blacks off the spot. After probably 10 - 15 hours 5 in a row my best. Also, pinks off spot and stuff like pot pink and white follow.

vCash

I got a nice 12 off the blue yesterday. I know itís 12, but it was all soft screw, got right side twice. I can control it well when itís out in the open, but most of my games seem to be off cush, tricky reds from baulk.

I won two frames against a much better opponent. Lost 6-2, this was a 50 break player. Yet, he left me balls.

The guy I usually play just seems to fluke it, consistently, over the course of 3 years. Canít be right, this must be psychological.

vCash

Lastly, when Iím playing well making breaks, I donít even look at BOB, I just feel the angle and they go in. Then, I lose a bit of confindence, I do the same thing, they miss, them I get obsessive about BOB and cueing and it all falls apart. Iím just lost. But I donít want to give up, I know Iíve got a 50 in me, I wonder if some hypnosis will help or something similar.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast