Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Last post for a while but advice sought

This is Mark187187's Country Flag

vCash

I used to spend a lot of time playing blacks off the spot. It's an easy pot you're going to play a lot, so useful for cue ball control. Pick an area you want to leave the cue ball, and practice different speeds, stuns, screws, to get there. Then narrow the angle and do it again. Rinse and repeat. It's much easier to make breaks if all the pots are easy

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
    I used to spend a lot of time playing blacks off the spot. It's an easy pot you're going to play a lot, so useful for cue ball control. Pick an area you want to leave the cue ball, and practice different speeds, stuns, screws, to get there. Then narrow the angle and do it again. Rinse and repeat. It's much easier to make breaks if all the pots are easy
    Blacks off the spot there is so many things you can do here to spice this up.

Just play:

Black to black from any position see what your highest score is.
    Black to black but only from one side of the table stun the white high on black all the time not allowed to use two cushions
    Same thing but only using two cushions to get count highest score
    Black to black but from opposite sides of the table using back cushion go from one side to the other round and round.
    Add a single red inbetween pink and black and use same ideas as above replace red once you pot it to play round and round black and red using the back cushion to stay on same side of the table for each shot or roll through on the second red to go round.

Theres so much you can do with only couple of balls that will improve your scoring tremendously at your level.

vCash

A coach up at SWSA sorted me right out. I thought I had all of the basics down but I wasn't finding the line and cuing around my hip. I also stuck a video up on here and got some really solid and useful feedback - you should definitely do that.

I've seen Bob Hill as well and thought he was great. Where about's in the South West are you?

vCash

Yeah if I was close to SWSA I would make a point of going there +1 for that a good coach you need first and foremost to see what basics you are doing wrong before you spend lots of hours on more routines they won't help until the cue action is good.

vCash

Bob taught me a few things to be fair, perhaps I am just assuming some flaw which only if resolved will massively improve.

He said he doesnít remodel actions just works with what you have.

One thing I think might be an issue, my cueing arm is bent in at the elbow. It is not straight. I wonder if this is a major fault but neither coach corrected it.

This is vmax's Country Flag

vCash

A video is required filmed from both sides, dead in front and dead behind. If you've never seen yourself play then I can honestly say it will be a revelation. I put up a video on the forum and couldn't believe the faults I witnessed; have since worked on them and am improving at the age of 60.

vCash

Ok so I finally beat my mate. He played so bad I am almost suspicious he did it to keep me playing.

Given I had more chances, I had multiple 10-15 breaks and played very, very well.

I that my aiming was more instinctive. Like throwing a dart, more than some huge exercise in geometry.

Also, when I had it together, I was actually quite tense from keeping still, and my cueing was slow, and deliberate, not like pool. I was too loose before, it felt more like a fully committed concentration exercise, but for cueing right, not aiming.

Balls were horrible but made my breaks off blue pink and baulk mainly. Def. had 5 or so 4-5 ball breaks.

Long pots also.

Amazing how it all came together, and itís mainly from moving focus from aiming to cueing straight.

Slow and deliberate cueing while keeping still on shot really is key. Really have been too loose and lax before.

Also found I was using less power and more back and top and hitting pocket weight more.

Thanks for the help, Iíll be still getting coach and doing vids, but speeding up play really helped aiming....kind of ďfeelingĒ the angle like aiming a rifle and getting on line seems to be much better than obsessing on bob.

Hard to explain what I was doing different but not allowing my brain to think too much about the angle works.
    Last edited by Snookclops; 8th February 2018 at 09:55 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by vmax View Post
    A video is required filmed from both sides, dead in front and dead behind. If you've never seen yourself play then I can honestly say it will be a revelation. I put up a video on the forum and couldn't believe the faults I witnessed; have since worked on them and am improving at the age of 60.
    Fair play, I'll film myself doing the line up and stick it up on here, hopefully that will help me. I've just got to sort my phone to get a decent video. Cheers

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5