<

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Using screw spin affects potting angle.

vCash

Default Using screw spin affects potting angle.

I am convinced that adding screw spin causes me to almost always miss an angled pot thin. Always thin. If I attempt the pot with stun, or topspin I will pot the ball, or miss it thick. Simple question, is this a flawed stroke? Or is the backspin on the cue ball affecting the object ball?

This is narl's Country Flag

vCash

I've heard some of the commentators say that as well, that screwing the ball makes the shot harder. Not really sure why that would be unless it changes the direction of the white to some degree.

This is thai_son22's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Molsonmuscle View Post
    I am convinced that adding screw spin causes me to almost always miss an angled pot thin. Always thin. If I attempt the pot with stun, or topspin I will pot the ball, or miss it thick. Simple question, is this a flawed stroke? Or is the backspin on the cue ball affecting the object ball?
    i think its to do with delivery tbh. i always aim the same line if im playing centre ball regardless of cue ball height

vCash

Maybe deflection\spin bites more with screw?

This is narl's Country Flag

vCash

A screw shot essentially makes the white skid along the baize as its rolling in reverse until the spin wears off and it starts to roll forwards. Possible i suppose when its skidding along there might be an element of the white going off line slightly?

vCash

Not so sure about line, or else the drag shot wouldn't be so common?

vCash

the cueball throws < I can say that since Mr BS isn't here anymore off line more when combined with backspin. No idea why, but when you play a swerve shot, do you ever play it with top and side?

This is thai_son22's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
    the cueball throws < I can say that since Mr BS isn't here anymore off line more when combined with backspin. No idea why, but when you play a swerve shot, do you ever play it with top and side?
    i dont know, i think any throw would be due to elements of side. i couldnt imagine 'complete' center striking will cause any side to side deflection. at least thats how i see it in my head haha

vCash

Maybe the spin of the CB means less friction on OB hence thinning the angle due to less friction?

Not totally relevant for this, but more the long one from a while back by Barry Stark (possibly the best of his that I have watched) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4WYW1hQjYM

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
    i dont know, i think any throw would be due to elements of side. i couldnt imagine 'complete' center striking will cause any side to side deflection. at least thats how i see it in my head haha
    Yeah, maybe I didn't make myself clear. You may get away with not quite hitting centre of the white more using topspin as the throw is less, so if you play with screw and don't quite hit the centre the white throws off line more, also you usually hit it harder, which also makes it throw off line more.

So basically it's a touch of unwanted side.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast