<

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fitting Tip to Blackspin Ferrule

This is rdsalt's Country Flag

vCash

Default Fitting Tip to Blackspin Ferrule

About to re-tip my cue for the first time since I had the blackspin ferrule fitted. Any tips or advice other than whats on Mike's website? I take it you glue the fibre pad onto the tip first, then glue the tip onto the blackspin ferrule, then trim as normal. Bit worried about doing it as I don't want to damage the ferrule as it was expensive, but it will cost a fortune to send the cue back and forth to Mike just to get it re-tipped so need to be able to do it myself.

This is narl's Country Flag

vCash

I found them hard to retip at first, then i snagged one of these: https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/cue-ti...BoCWskQAvD_BwE

And it was much easier. Its pretty easy to make the surface of the ferrule convex. That tool above eliminates that issue. Before using it though you have to put several layers of masking tape around your shaft to protect it from the clamp teeth as they're metal and wouldn't take much for it to dig into your shaft. Seen some pool players putting a few layers of card between the shaft and the clamp teeth to protect the shaft and seems to work well. Just don't tighten it to much and it should be fine.

This video shows a guy using it on a pool cue

Last edited by narl; 8th March 2018 at 04:06 PM.

This is Rob153's Country Flag

vCash

Always found it easier to glue to the wafer on to the ferrule first then the tip- Weirdly I've re-tipped loads of cues but always found it tricky with the B/Spin, just scared of nicking the ferrule.

This is rdsalt's Country Flag

vCash

Narl, looks quite a handy tool, I'll look into them.

Rob, that's my worry too damaging the ferrule, will try as per Mike's website and if it doesn't go well will try gluing the wafer to the ferrule then fitting the tip instead.

This is Shockerz's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rdsalt View Post
    Narl, looks quite a handy tool, I'll look into them.

Rob, that's my worry too damaging the ferrule, will try as per Mike's website and if it doesn't go well will try gluing the wafer to the ferrule then fitting the tip instead.
    Mike does show a video of repairing a black ferrule I think in case you damage it.

This is Steve748's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by narl View Post
    I found them hard to retip at first, then i snagged one of these.....
    I too use a Tweeten sander on my MW 11mm pool cue but I am fitting an 11mm MH Kamui tip and they play just just like a blackspin tip to me. I have no trouble fitting it to the ferrule, sand the remnants of the old tip off and use superglue gel as per the other thread.

This is narl's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    I too use a Tweeten sander on my MW 11mm pool cue but I am fitting an 11mm MH Kamui tip and they play just just like a blackspin tip to me. I have no trouble fitting it to the ferrule, sand the remnants of the old tip off and use superglue gel as per the other thread.
    You using a fibre pad as well?

vCash

The red fibre pad has long gone and I am now sticking the new tip on to the blackspin ferrule and it is working just as well as it did before as far as I can tell. I am on my second Kamui tip and previously I had an ADR147 and that was a lovely tip too, working as it should applied direct to the blackspin ferrule.

This is Mark187187's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    The red fibre pad has long gone and I am now sticking the new tip on to the blackspin ferrule and it is working just as well as it did before as far as I can tell. I am on my second Kamui tip and previously I had an ADR147 and that was a lovely tip too, working as it should applied direct to the blackspin ferrule.
    You might want to put a pad back on. As a new tip spreads when breaking in that's going to be putting stress on the blackspin which could cause a split. The fibre pad stops the spreading putting this stress on the ferrule (it's not just there to look pretty)

vCash

I am using these tips and they seem to work fine. If I can buy pads from Mike I will do but I don't see any for sale in his shop.

If you are going to reply you don't need to quote what I have said, nobody reads it again!
    Last edited by Steve748; 13th March 2018 at 12:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast