Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: World snooker associations and cheaper tables

This is trains's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Londonlad147 View Post
    Only a tiny percentage of players starting to play snooker will ever get to the stage where they can and will play pros. The important thing is to make provision for those starting out.
    Yes fair point , to a huge extent I look at my time on neglected tables as a waste but the knowing it was a waste is still an asset .

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Londonlad147 View Post
    Part of the problem is too many clubs (that still exist) are still more or less as they were in the 70s/80s... dark dingy places with little investment having taken place over the last 30 or 40 years. They present totally the wrong atmosphere these days.

In the west country Allstars have taken over four clubs, one of which I was very familiar with in the 1990s. Back then the owner was 'old school' and never reinvested anything in his dump of a club (even when it was closed for a couple of months because Wetherspoons, who acquired the whole building for their pub on the ground floor, discovered asbestos or something).

A few years ago I visited the new club which majors on 8-ball pool, with just three snooker tables, and it was hard to believe it was the same venue. They'd invested a substantial amount in renovating the place, with new wooden florring and bright modern lights and decoration. It is an altogether more welcoming place, and it is usually very busy whenever I've been there, with a substantial number of younger players.

For the game to thrive again at grass roots level, more clubs need to make this kind of investment.
    The thing as well is you wonder when a lot of well meaning folk who play ' snooker ' in these clubs will realize what they're playing is only a reflexion of deficiency or poverty and bares no relation to what they see on tv.

Pool doesn't float my boat at all but I wouldn't mind seeing these clubs use up more square metres of their snooker space with pool tables and only install just one quality snooker table , the club would be in pocket because more people play pool and quality well refurbished snooker tables would spruce their appearance up even more , whats not to like ?

This is Mark187187's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by trains View Post
    The thing as well is you wonder when a lot of well meaning folk who play ' snooker ' in these clubs will realize what they're playing is only a reflexion of deficiency or poverty and bares no relation to what they see on tv.

Pool doesn't float my boat at all but I wouldn't mind seeing these clubs use up more square metres of their snooker space with pool tables and only install just one quality snooker table , the club would be in pocket because more people play pool and quality well refurbished snooker tables would spruce their appearance up even more , whats not to like ?
    This is what my club did. Now has 2 match tables, 8 regular tables, 2 tables with thin power snooker cloth, 10 pool tables and 2 US pool tables. Haven't seen the club busier in 20 years.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
    This is what my club did. Now has 2 match tables, 8 regular tables, 2 tables with thin power snooker cloth, 10 pool tables and 2 US pool tables. Haven't seen the club busier in 20 years.
    Sounds good , what club is that then mate ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2