Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: World snooker associations and cheaper tables

This is trains's Country Flag

vCash

Default World snooker associations and cheaper tables

Has anyone ever heard of anything on the grapevine in the past of a separate snooker association forming to make professional snooker more accessible and affordable to the public.
    Simply use a table that high street clubs can afford and the game would become somewhat less of a parody of 40 somethings pretending that they're more talented than everyone else, cheers.

This is Mark187187's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by trains View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of anything on the grapevine in the past of a separate snooker association forming to make professional snooker more accessible and affordable to the public.
    Simply use a table that high street clubs can afford and the game would become somewhat less of a parody of 40 somethings pretending that they're more talented than everyone else, cheers.
    I don't think the tables in clubs are the problem. Most pros say they started out on a cheap 6 x 3ft table they got for Christmas. And those that didn't, probably didn't start off on tournament tables.

I don't think cost is a big barrier either. My club does cheap rates for kids and solo practicing- something like 3 an hour. That's probably the same or less than kids football, swimming, dance, music etc lessons and clubs, and those all seem to keep on going year after year.

Kids just don't want to play snooker. They want to play on their games consoles or fiddle with their phones. The more active ones want to do something cooler, like football, martial arts or street dancing.

It's a different story elsewhere. Apparently there are 1500 snooker and pool clubs in Shanghai. I don't know how many there are in London, but I do know that there is only one left in my city. That's not because kids have decided that being a pro is inaccessible or too expensive. It's because they don't want to even pick up a cue in the first place.

vCash

Snooker is a bit of a niche sport, but it's probably better that kids are encouraged to play active sport at school especially with the drop in diet standards and rise in obesity. Historically, clubs were not the place you'd want your kids to hang out...smoking, money matches, violence - perhaps that was just my club 25 years ago! It takes generations to effect change.

Many clubs in London have closed in the last 10 years, sadly - but I'd love for better tables in the ones still open :-)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
    I don't think the tables in clubs are the problem. Most pros say they started out on a cheap 6 x 3ft table they got for Christmas. And those that didn't, probably didn't start off on tournament tables.

I don't think cost is a big barrier either. My club does cheap rates for kids and solo practicing- something like 3 an hour. That's probably the same or less than kids football, swimming, dance, music etc lessons and clubs, and those all seem to keep on going year after year.

Kids just don't want to play snooker. They want to play on their games consoles or fiddle with their phones. The more active ones want to do something cooler, like football, martial arts or street dancing.

It's a different story elsewhere. Apparently there are 1500 snooker and pool clubs in Shanghai. I don't know how many there are in London, but I do know that there is only one left in my city. That's not because kids have decided that being a pro is inaccessible or too expensive. It's because they don't want to even pick up a cue in the first place.
    I don't know if you might have played in a World Snooker event but playing on an all the bells and whistles pro table is hard enough if you've never or hardly ever played on one - then compound it with the likelihood that you're opponent may be way more experienced on pro tables then the fact that London for example has hardly any pro tables is a bit of a problem .
    It makes me laugh a bit as I'm typing this that I can hardly think of a Londoner in the pro's since Tony Meo , of course there's Jimmy White but we all know him.
    Sean O' Sullivan too but the return from London really is hugely paltry and that is simply down to the lack of pro tables , the idea that people on low income's in London clubs wouldn't find the pro game attractive is really non - existent.

I think I recall Stephen Hendry saying he started off on a 6 x 3 table but he also said he barely won a match in his first season and I think pro tables in the mid 80's weren't quite as daunting in comparison to high street tables as they are today and a new pro not winning many matches in his first couple of years now would probably be more likely to get relegated than Hendry around the end of the 86/87 season.

I'm not actually sure that a knowledgeable table fitter could count on one hand the number of tables available to the public in England that would satisfy a pro looking to practice in pro conditions or being just a tad off pro conditions.

I'm not sure the internet is much to blame at all , when I started watching you had old bores like Rex Williams and Eddie Charlton in the top 16 and wasn't Neil Robertson a gaming nut as well , its just down to lack of facilities and money in a nutshell.

vCash

Part of the problem is too many clubs (that still exist) are still more or less as they were in the 70s/80s... dark dingy places with little investment having taken place over the last 30 or 40 years. They present totally the wrong atmosphere these days.

In the west country Allstars have taken over four clubs, one of which I was very familiar with in the 1990s. Back then the owner was 'old school' and never reinvested anything in his dump of a club (even when it was closed for a couple of months because Wetherspoons, who acquired the whole building for their pub on the ground floor, discovered asbestos or something).

A few years ago I visited the new club which majors on 8-ball pool, with just three snooker tables, and it was hard to believe it was the same venue. They'd invested a substantial amount in renovating the place, with new wooden florring and bright modern lights and decoration. It is an altogether more welcoming place, and it is usually very busy whenever I've been there, with a substantial number of younger players.

For the game to thrive again at grass roots level, more clubs need to make this kind of investment.

vCash

I can hardly think of a Londoner in the pro's since Tony Meo , of course there's Jimmy White but we all know him.
    Errm Steve Davis, Ronnie???

vCash

I can hardly think of a Londoner in the pro's since Tony Meo , of course there's Jimmy White but we all know him.
    Martin O'Donnell, Martin Gould also spring to mind.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Londonlad147 View Post
    Errm Steve Davis, Ronnie???
    Was thinking of Jimmy White in that footage walking to that club in Tooting and Davis slightly more with Romford but could be mistaken on the latter.
    Yes maybe the simple answer is to pool ( no pun intended ) all snooker players together for a whip round to pay for a facility that they can share.
    I was talking to a very good Liverpool amateur last year and he said thats how he and some pro's that practice around the Liverpool area keep their game in good shape.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Londonlad147 View Post
    Part of the problem is too many clubs (that still exist) are still more or less as they were in the 70s/80s... dark dingy places with little investment having taken place over the last 30 or 40 years. They present totally the wrong atmosphere these days.

In the west country Allstars have taken over four clubs, one of which I was very familiar with in the 1990s. Back then the owner was 'old school' and never reinvested anything in his dump of a club (even when it was closed for a couple of months because Wetherspoons, who acquired the whole building for their pub on the ground floor, discovered asbestos or something).

A few years ago I visited the new club which majors on 8-ball pool, with just three snooker tables, and it was hard to believe it was the same venue. They'd invested a substantial amount in renovating the place, with new wooden florring and bright modern lights and decoration. It is an altogether more welcoming place, and it is usually very busy whenever I've been there, with a substantial number of younger players.

For the game to thrive again at grass roots level, more clubs need to make this kind of investment.
    To add , I actually think I'm a better player now because I haven't played on a bog standard table for about a year , not like you don't know but what does that tell you about the point of playing on anything other than proper or v near proper tables ? it really is a complete and utter waste of time if you want to compete with the pro's !!

vCash

To add , I actually think I'm a better player now because I haven't played on a bog standard table for about a year , not like you don't know but what does that tell you about the point of playing on anything other than proper or v near proper tables ? it really is a complete and utter waste of time if you want to compete with the pro's !!
    Only a tiny percentage of players starting to play snooker will ever get to the stage where they can and will play pros. The important thing is to make provision for those starting out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast