Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fixing A Fault: Cue Action Veering to Left (with videos)

This is rimmer10's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanWilson View Post
    I don't drop my elbow (I think) so wouldn't copy Ronnie. I actually play quite well at times but every now and then everything out of sync. Thought I'd record it this time as I get so annoyed with myself for these huge inconsistencies.
    You definitely drop your elbow in the first vid mate

vCash

I'm playing 100% better thanks to the forum's help. A quick question: Am I to shoot past my chest? I hit into, and past, my chest on every shot (before today).

Right now, I'm staying down on the shot, taking longer backswings, and hitting smoother and less tense. Seems to have improved a lot. Who needs a coach when there's this forum?

😐 I do.

This is Terry Davidson's Country Flag

vCash

It is good practice to drive through and beyond the cueball but you don't have to 'thump' the grip hand into the chest but on completion of the stroke stay still for 1-2 seconds with the cue extended. The grip should come to the chest if it's done right. Just imagine you're hitting the object ball with your tip and you'll get the idea. Acceleration should be constant after a slow start to the delivery and right to the end of the stroke.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
    Just watched them again. Either it's my natural tendency or complacency. Unsure. Thank you for pointing it out.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    It is good practice to drive through and beyond the cueball but you don't have to 'thump' the grip hand into the chest but on completion of the stroke stay still for 1-2 seconds with the cue extended. The grip should come to the chest if it's done right. Just imagine you're hitting the object ball with your tip and you'll get the idea. Acceleration should be constant after a slow start to the delivery and right to the end of the stroke.
    Thank you, Terry, for your posts. I've read them all and have taken your advice to the table. I'm still there now.

Best regards,
    Jonathan

vCash

The most likely reason you're cueing around your chest is because you are attempting to get more follow-through by both dropping the elbow and accelerating too fast caused by a short backswing. Lengthening the backswing is definitely the way to go for you and doing that will overcome the necessity of having sharp acceleration as soon as you start the delivery. You will find your long potting especially will benefit from this.
    Terry Davidson

vCash

In addition, (at least in the videos) your head is popping up as you start to deliver the cue and you get up very quickly even before you complete the stroke. Work on keeping your chin on the cue during the feathers, backswing and delivery keeping the chin on the cue at the end of the stroke and leaving the cue extended. Do this for 1-2 seconds. Murphy is a good example of this trait as is Ronnie.
    Terry Davidson

vCash

Ronnie's technique is unique to Ronnie and only works for him. Asking somebody to copy it is fraud with danger. You might as well advise him to watch a load of Alex Higgins videos
    fraud or fraught? so whose action should he copy? joe swail, graham miles,ect, and i am sure he would love to play like alex

This is rimmer10's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
    fraud or fraught? so whose action should he copy? joe swail, graham miles,ect, and i am sure he would love to play like alex
    I would give my left arm to be able to play like Alex or for that matter like Joe or Graham. But doesn't that just prove my point? Everybody has got to find their own style. The elbow drop clearly doesn't work in Jonathan's case hence the steering of the cue to the left. Terry called it better by saying the grip should come to the chest instead of saying it should hit the chest. And you're right of course. It's fraught and not fraud��

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
    He shouldn't copy any one player for anything but rather do what all the pros do in common, like staying still on the shot, accelerating through the cueball and four or five other things.
    Terry Davidson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast