Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Jimmy White Tip Size

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Posts
    137
    vCash
    1000

    Default Jimmy White Tip Size

    Hi All,Does Anyone Know What Size Tip Jimmy Use To Use Back In The Day.Someone Told Me 9mm??
    Cheers David

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sutton , Surrey
    This is neil taperell's Country Flag

    Posts
    6,613
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    A lot of the players use smaller than us mere mortals . When Drago was playing down our club he used to use something like 8.5mm . Jimmy Whites tip looked slightly bigger .
    Not seen him for a bit , but if I see him down the club I will ask him .
    Neil

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2016

    Posts
    137
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Cheers Neil

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Posts
    619
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Seen him talking about his tip size on Eurosport last year. He said he was using a 10mm.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Berkshire
    This is DeanH's Country Flag

    Posts
    14,515
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    IIRC a piece of punditry from JW late last year that his 'new' JP cue was 9.8mm

    (soz snap Travis )

    probably a 9.8mm ferrule with a 10mm tip untrimmed

    let us know Neil
    Up the TSF!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    This is Bigmeek's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,905
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    IIRC a piece of punditry from JW late last year that his 'new' JP cue was 9.8
    (soz snap Travis )
    probably a 9.8mm ferrule with a 10mm tip untrimmed
    let us know Neil
    Always gets confusing when you don't know whether folk are talking about tip size or ferrule size.
    Ferrule size should be fairly constant but tip size will change as you trim and play it in.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cumbernauld
    This is billabong's Country Flag

    Posts
    3,135
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
    Always gets confusing when you don't know whether folk are talking about tip size or ferrule size.
    Ferrule size should be fairly constant but tip size will change as you trim and play it in.
    I've bought many cues where the dia at the root of the ferrule is quite a bit bigger than the dia at the tip of the ferrule.

    Too much sanding and filing methinks. Some were 0.4mm different !

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    This is Bigmeek's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,905
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billabong View Post
    I've bought many cues where the dia at the root of the ferrule is quite a bit bigger than the dia at the tip of the ferrule
    Too much sanding and filing methinks. Some were 0.4mm different !
    Yep some folk make a right mess of their ferrules, AND the shaft just below the ferrule. OCD to have shiny ferrule!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2017

    Posts
    256
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
    A lot of the players use smaller than us mere mortals . When Drago was playing down our club he used to use something like 8.5mm . Jimmy Whites tip looked slightly bigger .
    Not seen him for a bit , but if I see him down the club I will ask him .
    Do you play at Frames?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sutton , Surrey
    This is neil taperell's Country Flag

    Posts
    6,613
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    I wouldn’t say play.......I turn up and hit balls with a stick !
    Neil

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •