Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Center Ball Striking

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Posts
    630
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
    SIT not SIS, lol.

    I'd go Blue an inch away from spot and CB in line across table then nice gentle CB with loads of helping side, be amazed wen it goes in and repeat with less throw\cut and graduate to blue into the corner from off straight, but use side.

    This can be very gentle and minimal CB throw\deflection of cue. I had a bash with the Peradon Newbury(?) laminated Maple and Walnut to create the visual of an ash, and there was no\minimal throw and this **** was kinda fun, as bod with the new cue used side but was missing loads anticipating throw......

    I am still loathe to use "unhelping side" to make a pots, but it is the same as the running top side of slightly off pots to corner pockets which sends CB.....
    Lol at vmax.
    A whole year has passed and he is still confused

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    This is chrisg's Country Flag

    Posts
    199
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Barry Stark recommended this as a useful guide for finding center ball striking in one of his videos. Sometimes people think their striking center but aren't. Here's a review of it...

    https://snookerzone.co.uk/thomas-van-ecks-icueball/
    Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Barnstaple
    This is vmax's Country Flag

    Posts
    480
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
    SIT not SIS, lol.

    I'd go Blue an inch away from spot and CB in line across table then nice gentle CB with loads of helping side, be amazed wen it goes in and repeat with less throw\cut and graduate to blue into the corner from off straight, but use side.

    This can be very gentle and minimal CB throw\deflection of cue. I had a bash with the Peradon Newbury(?) laminated Maple and Walnut to create the visual of an ash, and there was no\minimal throw and this **** was kinda fun, as bod with the new cue used side but was missing loads anticipating throw......

    I am still loathe to use "unhelping side" to make a pots, but it is the same as the running top side of slightly off pots to corner pockets which sends CB.....
    You see what I mean ! the bods at Bletchly Park would have been hard pushed to decipher this let alone a beginner with a high break of 22. Ignore and experiment and you'll succeed like a budgie with no beak.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    This is Bigmeek's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,907
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    Barry Stark recommended this as a useful guide for finding center ball striking in one of his videos. Sometimes people think their striking center but aren't. Here's a review of it...

    https://snookerzone.co.uk/thomas-van-ecks-icueball/
    I think this cue ball is not suitable for snooker. I sent an enquiry off and was told it was 166 grammes. More suitable for pool.
    The Nic Barrow version is about 138g which is closer to snooker TC balls.
    I like the idea of practicing with a ball which has a diagram of where to hit but I think it would mess me up if I practiced with a ball which was too heavy.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    This is Bigmeek's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,907
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vmax View Post
    You see what I mean ! the bods at Bletchly Park would have been hard pushed to decipher this let alone a beginner with a high break of 22. Ignore and experiment and you'll succeed like a budgie with no beak.
    Agreed, didn't understand a word of it! Complete gibberrish IMO.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    This is Bigmeek's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,907
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Here's the Barry Stark video Chris G was referring to. I like the idea of hitting an area about the size of a two Pence piece.
    https://youtu.be/y6iryGvE9zA

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South West

    Posts
    941
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    The Steve Davis era took the old game as far as it could go and then Hendry showed how using spin can lead to consistent big breaks and started the new era. I used to play someone who had made 147s and he could make a frame winning break from nothing and would do it with a lot of tapping balls in around the pink and black spot. He had put in the thousands of hours practice to be able to play like that.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Barnstaple
    This is vmax's Country Flag

    Posts
    480
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
    Here's the Barry Stark video Chris G was referring to. I like the idea of hitting an area about the size of a two Pence piece.
    https://youtu.be/y6iryGvE9zA
    With that video once again nothing is said about compensating your aiming to allow for the deflection and swerve of the cue ball.
    As for that cue ball, well I strike outside that circle very, very often without miscueing and unlike Barry I'm not afraid of the realms of deflection and swerve on the cue ball that that creates.
    If you fear to use that much side then you shouldn't try to teach it just using trace amounts at slow pace that amount to nothing more than a plain ball pot. Side is very useful and great fun so experiment, learn, and use it with no fear and you'll put the fear into your opponent.
    Set up a high 3/4 ball black off its spot and aim to pot it in the exact centre of each corner pocket using both right and left hand side, see by how much you miss and to what side of the pocket and adjust your aiming until you get it right, then do the same with a low 3/4 pot, that's your starting point. Then do exactly the same with the brown off its spot or mark a fake black spot with chalk at the baulk end and learn how playing against the nap gives you different results.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •