Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Center Ball Striking

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2018

    Posts
    10
    vCash
    1000

    Default Center Ball Striking

    Hi all, quick question. How far can one get with just centre ball striking? I've always played like this and only use side when playing frozen cushion shots but was just wondering when should one use side and how can I practice using it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    This is thai_son22's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,044
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    You can make decent breaks with just centre balls. I've made 50s and 60s with no side. No reason why you cant knock in tonnes without it.

    I'd recommend just practicing, play with side and see what happens. No real way to teach it

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2018

    Posts
    10
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
    You can make decent breaks with just centre balls. I've made 50s and 60s with no side. No reason why you cant knock in tonnes without it.

    I'd recommend just practicing, play with side and see what happens. No real way to teach it
    That's reassuring. I'm in no rush to learn it, was just wondering if there was some point I had to start using it. My current highest break is 22 so I'll just continue as is. Thanks a bunch!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    This is Bigmeek's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,907
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    There's a good Barry Stark you-tube which is worth a watch. It's no 89 and titled "Centre Ball Striking - Positional Possibilities". Opens your eyes to what you can do with the white without bothering with the complexities of side.
    https://youtu.be/pA_6L7Kas1I
    Last edited by Bigmeek; 17th July 2018 at 09:48 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Nuneaton
    This is tomwalker147's Country Flag

    Posts
    758
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    I've made centuries without using side. You'll be fine without it.
    "just tap it in"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Barnstaple
    This is vmax's Country Flag

    Posts
    380
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IPotWhites View Post
    That's reassuring. I'm in no rush to learn it, was just wondering if there was some point I had to start using it. My current highest break is 22 so I'll just continue as is. Thanks a bunch!
    There are many on this forum who use side and know how to teach it but it always descends into a slanging match about transfered spin to the object ball so I for one no longer wish to go there.
    Seek out the previous threads on the subject and ignore Hello Mr Big Shot's 9 ball pool rants about tip end mass and transfered spin and you'll get the gist of it enough to practise some shots and get used to how your own cue deflects the cue ball when striking off centre. Whether you believe spin transfers or not the aiming has to be compensated for and the outcome is the same so go for it and when in the future you find yourself out of position you can play a side shot and go on to beat your current high break.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    hyderabad
    This is fkhan's Country Flag

    Posts
    435
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Try to play without side as much as possible, use it only if necessary.
    Looking for perfection is the only way to motivate yourself.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cumbernauld
    This is billabong's Country Flag

    Posts
    3,141
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vmax View Post
    There are many on this forum who use side and know how to teach it but it always descends into a slanging match about transfered spin to the object ball so I for one no longer wish to go there.
    Seek out the previous threads on the subject and ignore Hello Mr Big Shot's 9 ball pool rants about tip end mass and transfered spin and you'll get the gist of it enough to practise some shots and get used to how your own cue deflects the cue ball when striking off centre. Whether you believe spin transfers or not the aiming has to be compensated for and the outcome is the same so go for it and when in the future you find yourself out of position you can play a side shot and go on to beat your current high break.
    Every English Billiards player worth their salt knows that side transfers . It's essential for some shots. .

    oops, what have I started ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Posts
    622
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    When practicing experiment as much as possible about what happens to the cue ball & object balls when using side.
    You will be a much better player eventually gaining this knowledge then if you stick to center ball striking imo.
    In match play stick to what you know.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2018

    Posts
    10
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
    There's a good Barry Stark you-tube which is worth a watch. It's no 89 and titled "Centre Ball Striking - Positional Possibilities". Opens your eyes to what you can do with the white without bothering with the complexities of side.
    https://youtu.be/pA_6L7Kas1I
    Will watch it, thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •