Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Clearing the colours -Beginner Guide

This is DeanH's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
    Recently I cleaned the colours for the first time, at my next training I did it again. I know this is nothing for most on here, but it was at least a tiny step for me ;-)
    small step for snooker-pro-kind; giant leap for Malone-kind
    Up the TSF!

This is vmax's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
    Last year at the tournament at my home town I had the chance to talk to a few of the professionals and also asked them for their tips what would be the best training exercises for beginners as this was about the time, when I started to train solo from time to time. They immediately said the line-up, but cleaning the colours was the next exercise they mentioned. I told them, that when I was playing a friend, there was almost no frame in which any of the colours was still on its spot at the end of the frame, but they stated it was a good exercise nevertheless. They also told me that then I should start with a set-up of one last red with the colours (pot the red, then a colour, then clean the colours) and maybe go on to do this with two reds as well.

Recently I cleaned the colours for the first time, at my next training I did it again. I know this is nothing for most on here, but it was at least a tiny step for me ;-)
    I practise clearing the colours down to the black and play position for the yellow from the black, respot the colours and do it again from where the cue ball comes to rest. Best I've done is three in a row and didn't get back on the yellow from a very difficult black.

vCash

Very nice video with good advice. Nice pot on the green btw! I always end a practice session with trying to clear the colours and over the years of trial and error mostly error I've learnt to play them exactly like you suggest. A touch of side and trusting the cushions to play with top spin is key. Your tip on considering what side of the table you want the cueball on when potting the blue is probably the most important because of how people will pot it with backspin without even thinking about it and then possibly leave themselves so high they need the rest and miss. You should extend the video with other ways of playing it such as tips on starting higher than the yellow and having to pot it in the middle and when you're too high or too low on the pink to black. Or when you end up straight on the blue. It's a practice routine that shouldn't be overlooked. If you can't take on the colours how are you going to get that 147?

This is Nifty50's Country Flag

vCash

Like this video. Really like clearing the colours. Great feeling of satisfaction when you do it properly. Afraid I'm a "stun up from brown" player and invariably end up wrong on blue. Don't know why I find the "off the cushion" shot more difficult. Must make a point of practicing it more.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
    Like this video. Really like clearing the colours. Great feeling of satisfaction when you do it properly. Afraid I'm a "stun up from brown" player and invariably end up wrong on blue. Don't know why I find the "off the cushion" shot more difficult. Must make a point of practicing it more.
    Just try and practice that shot! You'll soon get the hang of it.

There is also a new video on my channel to help people score better with the pink and black.
    Qualified WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
    Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

vCash

I like this I'm usually a bit kamikaze when I practice the colours. I do know most of the shots, I just don't play them very well. I'm usually out of position on the brown, off the baulk cushion, blue in the corner, roll through the pink and miss an easy black for the World Championship, on a good day.

As you're sharing tips I have one for you. Get a clip on mic or something. I can hardly hear you talk without headphones on, compare your vids with Barry Stark's for volume and it's night and day. If you're looking for subscribers that's a big thing

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
    I like this I'm usually a bit kamikaze when I practice the colours. I do know most of the shots, I just don't play them very well. I'm usually out of position on the brown, off the baulk cushion, blue in the corner, roll through the pink and miss an easy black for the World Championship, on a good day.

As you're sharing tips I have one for you. Get a clip on mic or something. I can hardly hear you talk without headphones on, compare your vids with Barry Stark's for volume and it's night and day. If you're looking for subscribers that's a big thing
    I'm looking into this Jonny, and it's particularly difficult. Bought one for 200 which I tried yesterday, and it has constant interference. Absolute pain.

So I'm busy researching them at the moment, but spending 400-500 seems slightly annoying to me. But I'll see how I get on.
    Qualified WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
    Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2