Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Average Shot Times

This is Nifty50's Country Flag

vCash

Default Average Shot Times

This is PatBlock's Country Flag

vCash

Get rid of the lot of them, there are obviously all cheats, deliberately slowing their game down to put their opponents off. I mean, we all know how easy this game is right? The sooner we introduce a 10 second shot clock and roller skates, the better.

Couldn't give a flying fart personally but we are in the 21st century, the age of limited attention spans and commercially induced time constraints, so....

-
    The fast and the furious,
    The slow and labourious,
    All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

This is Csmith's Country Flag

vCash

Some of those guys aren't really that slow. For example, I've never found Noppon Saengkham hard to watch. I think it can come down to having a bit more of think during safety exchanges and stopping a few extra times to re-evaluate the break. I find that most snooker players get on with it when they are in the balls which is the most important part for me. Though there are some that need minutes at a time to figure out how to run the colours off their spots.

This is SnookerFan's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Csmith View Post
    Some of those guys aren't really that slow. For example, I've never found Noppon Saengkham hard to watch. I think it can come down to having a bit more of think during safety exchanges and stopping a few extra times to re-evaluate the break. I find that most snooker players get on with it when they are in the balls which is the most important part for me. Though there are some that need minutes at a time to figure out how to run the colours off their spots.
    What is the point in this list? Okay, it lets us know that Peter Ebdon and Rod Lawler are slow. Well, who'd have thought?

And why do we need to know the people who've had 1 match where their average shot time was above 30 seconds published? Even if, over the course of a season, they go up to three or four matches, who cares?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SnookerFan View Post
    What is the point in this list? Okay, it lets us know that Peter Ebdon and Rod Lawler are slow. Well, who'd have thought?

And why do we need to know the people who've had 1 match where their average shot time was above 30 seconds published? Even if, over the course of a season, they go up to three or four matches, who cares?
    Hearn last season mentioned they were going to do this. The purpose is to call out players who are slowing down matches, his exact words were 'name and shame'. I think the intention is discipline players who are continually playing too slow.

This is Nifty50's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SnookerFan View Post

If you can track down Hearn's interview on you-tube after the WC at The Crucible he explained his thinking at great length. From memory he was saying....People turn up to see balls getting potted........the players are in the entertainment business........if someone needs 45 seconds to decide what shot to take they need to go back to playing club snooker.....blah blah blah. It was quite a rant.
    I think he also said something about the players who were using slow play as tactic to **** off their opponent. Remember the Peter Ebdon v Ronnie O'sullivan match from a few years back? I can also remember in another match Peter was "feathering" about 24 times!
    Personnally I'm not in favour of asking people to speed up. Everyone has their own speed.
    I'm interested in how this all turns out.

vCash

I must be in the minority then, I watch snooker for snooker, big breaks, crafty snookers, great escapes. All part of snooker to me, not just "balls being potted"

What was the AST of the 1985 wsc final? I'll bet it was pretty high for both players, yet it's considered to be one of the best matches in history

This is JimMalone's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
    I must be in the minority then, I watch snooker for snooker, big breaks, crafty snookers, great escapes. All part of snooker to me, not just "balls being potted"

What was the AST of the 1985 wsc final? I'll bet it was pretty high for both players, yet it's considered to be one of the best matches in history
    I'm totally with you on this topic. Don't care about the shot time.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
    I'm totally with you on this topic. Don't care about the shot time.
    Although I agree, I think it has less to do with appealing to fans such as us, but more to do with making the product more palatable to reach a wider audience. We are engrossed in the game and have players to root for. But for anyone else, 30-40 second wait times may mean the difference between watching a full match or half a frame. It's a similar strategy as the best of 7's and best of 11's for the UK championships.

This is PatBlock's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Csmith View Post
    ....It's a similar strategy as the best of 7's and best of 11's for the UK championships.
    And how much interest is there in these best of 7s? There hasn't been a single post on the European Masters thread over the last 24 hours, which isn't at all unusual, and this is on a snooker forum! As far as I can tell, the longer format tournaments interest people much more than the dumbed down versions.

-
    The fast and the furious,
    The slow and labourious,
    All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast