Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Renewed passion for the game

vCash

Nice one, Tom...

I'm kinda getting back into the swing of things myself...

I was thinking of Pottr today, practising long blues I remembered a video of his, when he was faced with a long blue he said something like "the difference between me and you is I just get down and knock this in like it was over the hole".
    He sounds like a complete ****** x

This is tomwalker147's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    Nice one, Tom...

I'm kinda getting back into the swing of things myself...

He sounds like a complete ****** x
    Good lad, we'll have a knock again now i'm home. I think as much as anything seeing the handicaps for the Atack snooker league gave me a bit of motivation to do some damage this year!
    "just tap it in"

This is chrisg's Country Flag

vCash

I reviewed the book for SnookerZone, among others, links for the book reviews are on the link below...More reviews to come!

I really liked Hendry's book - reading it again!

https://snookerzone.co.uk/the-reading-zone/

Good luck in your snooker!
    Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

This is tomwalker147's Country Flag

vCash

9/10/18
    Finish work, driving home but nip to the club for some impromptu practice. 1/2 hour of line up, missing too many so knock it on the head.
    Felt agitated couldn't settle, too warm in the club. Cue felt sticky even after cleaning it, it only gave me 15 minutes of playing without getting sticky again.
    I've always felt that when practice starts to go badly it's best to knock it on the head, take any positives and come back next time rather than getting annoyed and dwelling on it.

10/10/18 1st Handicap singles league match of the season @7:30
    6:30 arrive at the club, 20 minutes just clearing the table (successfully) of 4/5 reds.
    6:50 a young lad asks for a frame (up and coming talent I think, Joe Pitcher.... what you reckon Pottr?) Play him off handicaps giving 16 start. I break off poorly and he smacks in a long red,black,red,black....s**t i'm 32 behind!
    I settle and win the frame comfortably, giving a few pointers to Joe throughout the frame (I often find that by coaching others it reinforces what I should be doing too).
    7:10 grab a drink and relax in the bar waiting for my opponent.
    7:30 We begin and i'm all over the place, we're off levels but i'm playing a good player who's capable of excellent snooker. It dawns on me part way through that i've not played competitive snooker since April. The sharpness isn't there, neither is it there for my opponent. The 1st frame is a slog and I win it with some tactical play on the colours paying off. 1-0
    Next frame, it's dross now. My opponents moaning about being rusty and missing and it's got to me too, it's catching. Eventually I lose a respot. 1-1
    I win 2-1, not much to say besides it was rubbish but I got the win first match back.

11/10/18 2nd handicap singles match
    Finish work at 5:30, home, shower, change, straight to the club. Match starts at 7pm and i've booked the table from 6:45 so I can clean it. I arrive and my opponent's already on the table, brilliant.
    No time to clean it, it's now playing tragically slow and i'm going on cold.
    Giving 16 start away and all i've had this week is "you won't win giving him 16, he can pot" etc... He breaks, I miss a long red. He pots red,black,red before missing the black and leaving it on the side cushion. Black out of commission and i'm 25 behind "excellent".
    I settle, a couple of reds with blues and a good safety and despite being behind i'm in control. I go on to win the frame comfortably, nothing spectacular just taking reds with colours. 1-0.
    2nd frame, i've potted red,black, red, black and i'm waiting for the black to be repotted. Still waiting, and waiting. He's on his phone, brilliant. Finally respots it and I miss the red. Flow gone, i'm frustrated now and channel it terribly.
    I end up 42 behind with 27 on, get all the snookers required but lose on the pink. ANNOYED 1-1.
    Frame 3, i'm determined now. I feel robbed, had he not been on his phone i'd already have won this is my opinion. Again, not spectacular but I win on the pink. 2-1.

So week 1 concluded and i've won my 1st two matches. I'm not satisfied though, I should've won both 3-0 (in this format it's a point per frame and you play all 3 frames out, groups of 12, top 4 qualify from each group)

What have I taken from my return so far?
    -My game's still there
    -there's a strange nervousness from me, hoping it's just lack of sharpness
    -I need to put the hours in
    -I'm much more easily distracted than I used to be
    -I can still win ugly
    "just tap it in"

This is vmax's Country Flag

vCash

If your opponent is on his phone anytime during a match you should tell him you're not going to put up with it, surely your league has rules about this.
    Faith requires nothing but blind adherence, whereas knowledge demands the continual apprehension of an ever expanding body of information. With faith one can at least claim knowledge without having to do the hard work of aquiring it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2