Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Renewed passion for the game

This is tomwalker147's Country Flag

vCash

Default Renewed passion for the game

Hi all,

I've been a bit absent on this forum over the past year or so... one break up, stressful house sale, new girlfriend etc etc My snooker also took a backseat. No doubt many of you can relate to 'life getting in the way'.
    Last season was a struggle, not caring too much win or lose just turning up more so in body than in spirit, to be frank a bit of depression crept over me and I took nothing too seriously until close friends took hold of
    me. Now more settled I think i'm back..... i've had a few knocks with Pottr (many of you will know of him), nothing spectacular but enough to dust off the cue before the season starts, then bang a century in a frame
    with my dad. 112, cueball on a string it felt amazing. The following day and i'm off to Bali/Dubai for 3 weeks and the dust settle on my cue again!

Anyway I made a little purchase at the airport, Hendry's autobiography. Reading about this absolute 'winner' has given me the urge to get back into snooker as much as possible. I don't know if any of you have read it
    but it's a brilliant read (more than happy to post my copy to any of you FOC). He talks about his drive and determination to win everything, never happy with anything less than becoming a champion and never satisfied with
    his game, a real perfectionist.

I'm adopting this approach this season, i've entered a couple of local singles snooker leagues (Pottr set one up), another run by our local club and the usual town's league. I've set myself a few goals;
    - win one of the two singles leagues
    - make at least one century in league match
    - make my first maximum
    - win the league's averages
    - win a pro am event

The reason for my 'boring post' was to share my new found enthusiasm for the game I love. Have any of you recently found enthusiasm after struggling for a period of time?

Best wishes
    Tom
    "just tap it in"

This is Stevie1's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
    Hi all,

I've been a bit absent on this forum over the past year or so... one break up, stressful house sale, new girlfriend etc etc My snooker also took a backseat. No doubt many of you can relate to 'life getting in the way'.
    Last season was a struggle, not caring too much win or lose just turning up more so in body than in spirit, to be frank a bit of depression crept over me and I took nothing too seriously until close friends took hold of
    me. Now more settled I think i'm back..... i've had a few knocks with Pottr (many of you will know of him), nothing spectacular but enough to dust off the cue before the season starts, then bang a century in a frame
    with my dad. 112, cueball on a string it felt amazing. The following day and i'm off to Bali/Dubai for 3 weeks and the dust settle on my cue again!

Anyway I made a little purchase at the airport, Hendry's autobiography. Reading about this absolute 'winner' has given me the urge to get back into snooker as much as possible. I don't know if any of you have read it
    but it's a brilliant read (more than happy to post my copy to any of you FOC). He talks about his drive and determination to win everything, never happy with anything less than becoming a champion and never satisfied with
    his game, a real perfectionist.

I'm adopting this approach this season, i've entered a couple of local singles snooker leagues (Pottr set one up), another run by our local club and the usual town's league. I've set myself a few goals;
    - win one of the two singles leagues
    - make at least one century in league match
    - make my first maximum
    - win the league's averages
    - win a pro am event

The reason for my 'boring post' was to share my new found enthusiasm for the game I love. Have any of you recently found enthusiasm after struggling for a period of time?

Best wishes
    Tom
    Nice of you to open up pall wish you all best in your new path in life. Book sounds good
    Current playing cue Trevor White
    3/4 ash cue

This is jrc750's Country Flag

vCash

Some serious goals there, hope you get a hat-trick

This is thai_son22's Country Flag

vCash

would love to read this book. hunger is a beautiful thing

vCash

Glad to hear it I've just got back into the game myself

I was thinking of Pottr today, practising long blues I remembered a video of his, when he was faced with a long blue he said something like "the difference between me and you is I just get down and knock this in like it was over the hole".

So I looked at it and though "pfft! that's easy!" Dropped down. Smacked it into the leather. Could I do it again next time? Could I f.....

This is JimMalone's Country Flag

vCash

Good to see you back!

Hope things will point upwards for you now.

vCash

Hi gents,

thanks for the kind comments!
    I might keep a little diary on here from time to time, probably as it'll help me to keep up the practice if nothing else.

So on sunday I had half an hour on the baize but really struggled after the 3 week holiday, not helped by falling off a scooter in Bali the week before!
    Last night was better.... I managed to get 3 hours on one of the Star tables in our club. Practice routine went like this;
    - Pint of Stowford ordered
    - half hour clearing the colours off their spots
    - 1 hour of clearing the table,1 red then the colours then 2 reds then the colours and so on, when failing going all the way back to one red. I made it to 13 reds before calling that a day.
    - Pint of Carling and a packet of mini cheddars, 5 minute break.
    - 10 mins interrupted by a fellow local league player, I told him I wanted to win everything locally this season and was putting in the work. "fair play, good to see you keen again" was the response (i've always found that by telling people my goals it gives me greater reason to try to achieve them, the pressure helps too... how many times have you told somebody you'd pot something then got it?)
    - 30 mins line up - completed 4 in a row (4 reds below the black, tight table)
    - 10 mins long blues screwing back to baulk
    - 5 mins stun run throughs on reds for the black
    - 10 mins pinks into right middle (always been a weak shot of mine)
    - Brush, block, cover the table... go to the bar, buy a coke and debate local handicaps with mates at the bar.

Great fun, the bug is back
    "just tap it in"

This is JimMalone's Country Flag

vCash

- 10 mins pinks into right middle (always been a weak shot of mine)
    The right middle when you look on the table from the end with the small colors or the opposite?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
    The right middle when you look on the table from the end with the small colors or the opposite?
    If the below circles were the pockets it'd be the red one below, i've always struggled a touch with middles as i've found older tables with nap and newer star tables with virtually no nap play so differently.
    I don't miss into the middles at pace, it's when rolling to drop them in. Usually missing high as if playing for a nap that isn't there... bad habit over time I guess but easily corrected after 25 or so practice strokes.

0 0

0 0

0 0
    "just tap it in"

This is vmax's Country Flag

vCash

Great fun, the bug is back
    Let's hope the new girlfriend puts up with it
    Faith requires nothing but blind adherence, whereas knowledge demands the continual apprehension of an ever expanding body of information. With faith one can at least claim knowledge without having to do the hard work of aquiring it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast