Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grip fustration

vCash

Default Grip fustration

Hi there, Iím new to the forum but wanted to get your thoughts on my question as itís driving me nuts. Iíll apologise in advance for the essay :-)

Iíve been playing snooker for a few years now (max break of 50 so not prolific) however I recently had some coaching sessions to try and improve my game as I felt I was just stagnating at a certain level. The coaching sessions were great as they highlighted a few things I could improve on one of which was the grip. Itís been a few months now that Iíve kept with my new grip but in truth Iím still no better than I was before.

I think the grip accounts for the majority of my problems hence the cry for help :-).

I create a ring with my thumb and index finger and then the remaining three fingers wrap around the cue very lightly. Pressure wise Iíd say the ring is about a 7 with the rest then decreasing. My thumb tends to point down to the floor and I go down in the shot with back of plan resting on the butt too.

Because I felt unsure about this grip Iíve since watched many YouTube videos to get more advice and I think Iíve confused myself on whatís right and wrong. Barry stark says to have a trigger using the third finger, Shaun Murphy says to just pick up the use and thatís your grip and others say different things. The videos from Barry stark showing how the grip hand should look in the backswing look exactly like mine (Iíve videod myself) but itís not paying any dividens.

I know thereís no golden rule on whatís right or wrong but any help would stop me from going insane.

Thanks.

vCash

Hi.

Have a look at my videos on YouTube.

www.youtube.com/BartonSnooker
    Qualified WPBSA 1st4Sport Coach
    Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

vCash

Hi steve, thanks. I actually came across your videos on YouTube literally the other day and thought they were great. I think because Iíve seen and read so many opinions Iím just unsure of what Iím doing is right.

I am more consistent in my game rather than occasionally brilliant which I know is better but still donít feel like itís clicking.

Would you agree with trapping the cue in the third finger or simply concentrate on the fleshy bit of sling and ring formed with your first finger and thumb?

Appreciate your help. Many thanks.

This is Staezione's Country Flag

vCash

Subscribe to Barton Snooker, can't recommend it enough, great channel.
    About the grip, in same shoes of yours. Changed a lot but now take the grip with my middle finger, letting my index finger curled loose so that i feel a little tension in my middle finger when i backswing and open my ringfinger and pinky but still let those keep in contact with my cue.
    Then all i do is hit with the elbow, and keep the grip as loose as i can without dropping my cue

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Slimjim81 View Post
    Hi steve, thanks. I actually came across your videos on YouTube literally the other day and thought they were great. I think because I’ve seen and read so many opinions I’m just unsure of what I’m doing is right.

I am more consistent in my game rather than occasionally brilliant which I know is better but still don’t feel like it’s clicking.

Would you agree with trapping the cue in the third finger or simply concentrate on the fleshy bit of sling and ring formed with your first finger and thumb?

Appreciate your help. Many thanks.
    Hi, my advice would be to do what feels best for you.

There really isn't one perfect grip. I personally grip using a bit more of my third finger as you say, nothing wrong with that.

You can also use the front of the hand and the fleshy bit, lots of players do that.

The important thing is: do what is comfortable for you, and stick with it. Practice it over and over again. And don't add extra tension to your grip hand when you complete the shot.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Staezione View Post
    Subscribe to Barton Snooker, can't recommend it enough, great channel.
    Thanks you very much!

vCash

Appreciate the advice thanks. I think Iíll experiment a little and see whatís best. Have to agree that Barton snooker channel is definitely worth subscribing to. Just clear no nonsense tips and advice.

vCash

I've started to just let my hand hang off my arm if you know what I mean. Kind of imagine you have a broken hand and it's just a lump hanging off the end of your arm, any movement in the hand or fingers is the cue pushing them out of the way. I'm cueing much better like this, might work for you, might not, but it's worth a shot.

vCash

Appreciate all the comments thanks. Will keep on going and see what happens. Great game but so frustrating at times.

Again thank you to all replies.

This is Cue crafty's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Slimjim81 View Post
    Appreciate all the comments thanks. Will keep on going and see what happens. Great game but so frustrating at times.

Again thank you to all replies.
    One bit of alternative advice Jim. It's fine trying this stuff in solo practice but very bad trying to take it to a game or match. Next time you play a mate or a match try to think of nothing else other than winning, when you line up each shot visualise it going in the pocket, if thoughts creep in about grip just start singing your favourite song in your head to forget it and carry on simply trying to deliver the cue smoothly.

If you think technical thoughts during a game your body will get more tense and delivering the cue smoothly will be more difficult.

The point being that your practice brain has learned something but your match brain needs to use it pretty much subconsciously without laboured thought on each shot.
    Last edited by Cue crafty; 30th October 2018 at 09:18 AM.
    No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast