Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Video of Maximum Throw/Squeeze at Different Speeds and Angles

vCash

I did know about the nap on snooker tables, I just didn't know that the nap was a large enough factor to somehow cancel out the throw effect. I still have serious doubts, but I'm willing to suspend judgment until I experience it. The snooker versions of my printable tools are the same as the pool and carom versions, but they are designed to conform to 52.5mm snooker ball diameters.

I'm sorry to bring back such a touchy subject, but one thing that I find curious is that people (pool players as well) wouldn't notice the difference between where they need to aim a shot above about 25 degrees with topspin vs. where they need to aim the very same shot when using stun or soft screw. Again, I can't account for the cloth nap differences. But a 30 degree pool shot with topspin on the cueball is aimed barely outside of the edge of the ball, whereas the same 30 degree shot with stun has to be aimed up to about 1/16th of a ball beyond the edge. For a pool ball that's 3.6mm outside of the edge. For a snooker ball that would be 3.3mm outside of the edge.

I don't want to belabor the issue and cause anyone stress. I just want to offer a way to test it for yourselves. The tools are designed to keep us honest about what we're actually doing and show us how we may have been subconsciously compensating elsewhere. To pot difficult balls in snooker and even lowly big-pocket pool, we need incredible precision. Without knowing what part of our technique is failing us, it is difficult to know what part to work on. I think these tools can help to diagnose these problems.

On the AZB forum there has been a decade-long vicious debate on an unrelated subject. Once we've planted our flags on one side of an argument, it is difficult for us humans with our giant egos to debate with the sole purpose of uncovering the truth. It instead becomes all about winning, regardless of truth. And even if we lose, cognitive dissonance convinces us that we were right somehow.

This is markz's Country Flag

vCash

vCash

Wow! Thank you??

This is Cue crafty's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by markz View Post
    Markz - I felt a disturbance in the force! Good to know you are still around, just returning myself after a summer vacation from the Dark halls of snooker.

Still haven't tried one of the old blue diamonds from Ramon yet, as the Phoenix laminate has been consistent. I think the time has come to retip my second cue with one though to get it bagged in.

How's tricks? 😉
    No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

This is markz's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
    Markz - I felt a disturbance in the force! Good to know you are still around, just returning myself after a summer vacation from the Dark halls of snooker.

Still haven't tried one of the old blue diamonds from Ramon yet, as the Phoenix laminate has been consistent. I think the time has come to retip my second cue with one though to get it bagged in.

How's tricks? ��
    I’m good cheers mate, got a bit fed up with the game so not been playing much. Hence not much interest in the forum either. I used one of those old blue diamonds the other day for a guy at my club, it played really nice. I reckon this thread could make a century of pages if everyone returns lol.

This is Cue crafty's Country Flag

vCash

Yes. Can understand that, I'm trying to keep it fun to keep any frustration at bay. It's always a nice game to return to when the weather takes a turn for the worse. Good to hear the old blue diamonds have not aged into rocks!

I think everything was covered in that 1000+ post thread and at the end of it people are divided on opinion still and probably always will be.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3