Thread: Thinking of giving up as struggling with the Yips big time.

This is crg147's Country Flag

vCash

Default Thinking of giving up as struggling with the Yips big time.

Been playing since the age of 16 and I'd like too think a decent stsndard with decent players but in the last year I've developed the Yips so much so I could cry it's that bad. Ive read tips about saying certain words upon delivery etc but I'm in bits letting go. I would try anything to help trust me. Thanks in advance guys.

This is crg147's Country Flag

vCash

I'm now 50.

This is Csmith's Country Flag

vCash

Listen to this, https://www.ted.com/talks/sian_leah_...ge=en#t-340451.

A major takeaway for me was train myself to stop thinking about what I am doing at all. Essentially going completely on auto pilot. It's taking some time to make it feel completely natural without getting lazy about my technique but I am considerably more consistent than I ever was.

vCash

I had the yips for 3 years and after trying many different things I went to a Chinese herbalist for help, she said that involuntary twitching has something to do with your nerve ends being frayed. She told me to take Lions Mane mushrooms and also Thiamine vit B1 which will repair the nerve ends. After taking this for just over a week my yips disappeared.

vCash

I have a close friend, who was pretty talented at the game...

Got the yips and was really struggling, dealing with depression and thinking of quitting.

He knuckled down and is currently ranked 49 in the world and making a living as a pro.

Don't quit, just learn that as you get older, it's less of a priority and relieve the pressure to play well... Find your enjoyment again.

This is vmax's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yan139 View Post
    I had the yips for 3 years and after trying many different things I went to a Chinese herbalist for help, she said that involuntary twitching has something to do with your nerve ends being frayed. She told me to take Lions Mane mushrooms and also Thiamine vit B1 which will repair the nerve ends. After taking this for just over a week my yips disappeared.
    The mushrooms are possibly a little psychoactive so may be a good try, but the yips are basically an escalation of too much thinking.
    I have a mate who yips on screw shots, the rest of the time he's fine but tenses up and stares at the cue ball when faced with a screw shot, doesn't take his natural stance so doesn't line it up correctly, the result is that his brain tries to find the right line with the wrong information and his whole body twitches on delivery.

Take some time to learn to focus your eyes only the object ball and let everything else happen naturally, don't think about anything other than the shot you're faced with, where you want to the object ball and cue ball to go, focus on the contact point on the object ball let everything else happen subconsciously because it will without any conscious input.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

This is Shockerz's Country Flag

vCash

I have had the yips and twitches for 2 to 3 years now and am just seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I had a lesson to virtually reduce my backswing to a minimum, around 3 " and then push right through. I had to use a shorter cue (went from 59 to 56.5"), also bent my bridge arm more to accommodate this.

I still struggled with this but better as my arm didn't have the full backswing prior to letting go.

It has been better but as I said, still a bit of a struggle.

What has really made the difference over the last few weeks has been to do everything faster and just get on with it and almost be more aggressive with my game.

My arm has now become more loose and only twitched a few times under pressure but virtually no more yips. This hasn't happened over night and who knows if it will last or not I just know I've started getting balls I have't got in ages as I can let go. Now I need to get my timing back to control the white and start getting decent breaks again.

Thought it might be good to say how things are going for others that are going through it.

This is Cue crafty's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
    I have had the yips and twitches for 2 to 3 years now and am just seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

I had a lesson to virtually reduce my backswing to a minimum, around 3 " and then push right through. I had to use a shorter cue (went from 59 to 56.5"), also bent my bridge arm more to accommodate this.

I still struggled with this but better as my arm didn't have the full backswing prior to letting go.

It has been better but as I said, still a bit of a struggle.

What has really made the difference over the last few weeks has been to do everything faster and just get on with it and almost be more aggressive with my game.

My arm has now become more loose and only twitched a few times under pressure but virtually no more yips. This hasn't happened over night and who knows if it will last or not I just know I've started getting balls I have't got in ages as I can let go. Now I need to get my timing back to control the white and start getting decent breaks again.

Thought it might be good to say how things are going for others that are going through it.
    That's good positive progress mate. Keeping taking the small steps in the right direction, lowering expectations is hard but like me we are still in the game right?!?

I realised at the end of last year that when I lowered my mental expectation ...(I used to be able to do this crap) I actually began to perform better again and have built on that since. It's easier for me now having free'd my mind, to enjoy things more, relax a bit (maybe a lot and to actually let things happen. After my long 20 year lay off, when I came back (about 3 years ago now if you remember) I stupidly applied my golf ethic of progress/practice to my snooker....bad idea, it don't work for me. I was/am a fairly natural snooker player, always just got down done what felt right, understanding more of what I do has helped in older age but now just playing for love. There is so much importance around grip I think in this game, we maybe never thought too much about it when we play well, but a great practice session test is try and clear the colours with a feather lite grip not touching cushions (I'm sad so think this is fun : ) remember when DT said about winning WC, on the black he potted? He cradled the cue in his grip to take all the "tension" out of the hit...

If you haven't read Dr Bobs book "golf is not a game of perfect" i recommend it, it's not exciting, far from it, but it helps re-establish the simple things we "ought to know"!!

Good things wished to you for next year bud!
    Last edited by Cue crafty; 20th December 2018 at 12:00 AM.
    No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

This is Shockerz's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
    That's good positive progress mate. Keeping taking the small steps in the right direction, lowering expectations is hard but like me we are still in the game right?!?

I realised at the end of last year that when I lowered my mental expectation ...(I used to be able to do this crap) I actually began to perform better again and have built on that since. It's easier for me now having free'd my mind, to enjoy things more, relax a bit (maybe a lot and to actually let things happen. After my long 20 year lay off, when I came back (about 3 years ago now if you remember) I stupidly applied my golf ethic of progress/practice to my snooker....bad idea, it don't work for me. I was/am a fairly natural snooker player, always just got down done what felt right, understanding more of what I do has helped in older age but now just playing for love. There is so much importance around grip I think in this game, we maybe never thought too much about it when we play well, but a great practice session test is try and clear the colours with a feather lite grip not touching cushions (I'm sad so think this is fun : ) remember when DT said about winning WC, on the black he potted? He cradled the cue in his grip to take all the "tension" out of the hit...

If you haven't read Dr Bobs book "golf is not a game of perfect" i recommend it, it's not exciting, far from it, but it helps re-establish the simple things we "ought to know"!!

Good things wished to you for next year bud!
    Cheers mate and you.

I have that book. I like Harvey Penicks Red and Green book. The little snippets he found over the years coaching golf also make me think about how I approach snooker, certainly worth a read and some of the thoughts are great to simplify your thoughts.

My snooker standard and break building are nothing like it was but I generally feel pretty good about the game and am getting to grips with a different way so to speak.

Seriously thinking about having a go at a table at home next year, would like to see it happen, it would certainly help with table time.