Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Is it advisable to orient the cue the same way for every shot?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2018

    Posts
    16
    vCash
    1000

    Default Is it advisable to orient the cue the same way for every shot?

    As someone who also occasionally plays a bit of American pool, I was thinking - American pool cues are generally made of a maple shaft with a completely round butt, meaning the orientation of the cue differs from shot to shot, since there's no real way to discern a specific orientation. This obviously works for American pool, but would it translate to snooker too? Has anyone tried a maple cue + round butt?

    It would presumably lead to a more uniform wearing of the tip, I wonder if this would be a good thing or a bad thing though. It's also unclear if it would even lead to a "random" orientation of the cue, however - perhaps I would subconsciously prefer a certain orientation, and all I'd be doing would be making it harder to find that orientation.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Samobor
    This is ace man's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,153
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    I have a maple snooker cue. Yes, I orient the cue the same way for every shot, even with the rest.
    Fully rounded butt would be nice, I would welcome such a cue, for ash too. But from what I've seen, most if not all cue makers don't stray away from tradition.
    Now I'm sure you could custom order just about anything, but I'm happy with current cue, have gotten used to keeping the same orientation, and have also gotten used to have uneven tip wear.
    Last edited by ace man; 29th December 2018 at 04:12 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2016

    Posts
    3
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    I ordered a one piece maple with round butt as I found the lines on ash cues can be distracting. I find that my tip wears evenly now which shows I must be using the cue on different orientations without thinking about it. I also asked that the was no makers badge on the butt as this might influence how I held the cue. I do still have a centre split ash cue which I use when I'm going in a taxi on the lash and I do always play with this on the same orientation which does show on the tip. I never used to have an issue with the lines on ash cues until I used a maple cue for the first time.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    This is ADR147's Country Flag

    Posts
    16,273
    vCash
    900
    Items for Sale

    Default

    Every top player always holds the cue the same way every shot - not sure if that makes it right though!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    hyderabad
    This is fkhan's Country Flag

    Posts
    760
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    From 1:40 to 2:40 in this video, Barry Stark talks about using the tip the same way on every shot. He also said that using it randomly can cause a change in the expected outcome of the shot.

    https://youtu.be/H9Ap4SBgf_M
    Looking for perfection is the only way to motivate yourself.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2018

    Posts
    16
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
    From 1:40 to 2:40 in this video, Barry Stark talks about using the tip the same way on every shot. He also said that using it randomly can cause a change in the expected outcome of the shot.

    https://youtu.be/H9Ap4SBgf_M
    If I'm understanding correctly, he's talking about when the tip has already been worn in a non-uniform way then you should keep it that way - however if the tip is worn uniformly then I wonder if this still applies.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Posts
    1,954
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    As ADR says, all the top players hold their cue the same way each time. Most players have the 'flat' on the butt end pointing up.

    For me it's just another level of consistency. When using an ash cue, it means that on every shot, the grain of the ash always look exactly the same to you. If you rotated the cue, things would look different to you when you're down on the shot. So for me, I just like keeping everything looking exactly the same each time.

    Then secondly, the tip is contacting the white ball in the same way each time. How much this actually affects the shot I don't know. I'd imagine it would be very minimal, but every 1% extra we can get is worth having.
    Qualified WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
    Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Contact: steve@bartonsnooker.co.uk
    Website: www.bartonsnooker.co.uk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kingston, Ontario
    This is sharkster63's Country Flag

    Posts
    783
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Good Day, I think that if your cue is perfectly straight then it would not matter where you orient your cue, but in reality the cue's are not always perfect. most players will want the curve of the cue, no matter how big or small to be in a vertical line to the cue ball either upwards or downwards thus avoiding any unwanted side. Better on a round butt, tape can show the holding spot and you have a good hold on the cue, if you are playing with a splice removed it could get awkward to hold, the splice might be on a 45 degree when the cue curve is aligned with curve in right position. Then again, if you have a cue with a curve or bend on a round butt, it could be handy to remove a splice to help you get your cue in the right position every time. Cheers
    I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Barnstaple
    This is vmax's Country Flag

    Posts
    539
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ace man View Post
    I have a maple snooker cue. Yes, I orient the cue the same way for every shot, even with the rest.
    Fully rounded butt would be nice, I would welcome such a cue, for ash too. But from what I've seen, most if not all cue makers don't stray away from tradition.
    Now I'm sure you could custom order just about anything, but I'm happy with current cue, have gotten used to keeping the same orientation, and have also gotten used to have uneven tip wear.
    You have also gotten use to the flex characteristics of your shaft when held in that one position, it's minimal yes, but the grain has a factor in the flex and turn the grain around and the flex will change. Most won't notice it but in the upper echelons of the game it could be crucial so all top pros hold the cue the same way every shot. Top cuemakers know this also and is why they reserve their best straight grained timber for their top of the range cues as straight grain means uniformity of flex and resonance along the whole shaft.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Samobor
    This is ace man's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,153
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vmax View Post
    You have also gotten use to the flex characteristics of your shaft when held in that one position, it's minimal yes, but the grain has a factor in the flex and turn the grain around and the flex will change. Most won't notice it but in the upper echelons of the game it could be crucial so all top pros hold the cue the same way every shot. Top cuemakers know this also and is why they reserve their best straight grained timber for their top of the range cues as straight grain means uniformity of flex and resonance along the whole shaft.
    True. Also, if I try to shoot with the flat part facing down (opposite to how I normally do), it feels strange through the bridge hand. No wonder. Even with frequent wiping with towels, etc...only one part of shaft goes through the V groove for years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •