Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Is it advisable to orient the cue the same way for every shot?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Posts
    2,318
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    I'm sure I remember Ken Doherty and Jimmy White speaking about their cues, and either Jimmy or Ken said they use a round butt in order to get more even tip wear. So not all top players have the cue oriented the same on every shot.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Southend
    This is Cue crafty's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,410
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
    I'm sure I remember Ken Doherty and Jimmy White speaking about their cues, and either Jimmy or Ken said they use a round butt in order to get more even tip wear. So not all top players have the cue oriented the same on every shot.
    Pretty sure that was Jimmy, and he spins the cue in his grip as a mannerism (or at least used to) but he is a one off in terms of his early days style.
    No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Barnstaple
    This is vmax's Country Flag

    Posts
    538
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
    Pretty sure that was Jimmy, and he spins the cue in his grip as a mannerism (or at least used to) but he is a one off in terms of his early days style.
    It's my understanding that he turns the cue in his grip hand in order to hold it in the same place because it's a round butt without a mace flat as a marker.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Southend
    This is Cue crafty's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,410
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vmax View Post
    It's my understanding that he turns the cue in his grip hand in order to hold it in the same place because it's a round butt without a mace flat as a marker.
    That makes sense, this thread is interesting to me as I've never really worried about this in the past and always hold different positions. Recently I've been struggling a little with concentration during a break, so will be trying to incorporate this in practice to see if it helps with focus on the shot.
    No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Nuneaton
    This is tomwalker147's Country Flag

    Posts
    801
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
    That makes sense, this thread is interesting to me as I've never really worried about this in the past and always hold different positions. Recently I've been struggling a little with concentration during a break, so will be trying to incorporate this in practice to see if it helps with focus on the shot.
    Cuecrafty, I struggled with this but went for some coaching, sorted my feathers out so they're consistent and have improved vastly. You may already feather the same number of times each shot but worth a go if not
    "just tap it in"

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Southend
    This is Cue crafty's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,410
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
    Cuecrafty, I struggled with this but went for some coaching, sorted my feathers out so they're consistent and have improved vastly. You may already feather the same number of times each shot but worth a go if not
    Cheers Tom, I know it makes good sense, i think it adds to the rhythm and timing of the shot and therefore will also add to a players confidence too. You can be cueing beautifully, feeling like you can pot anything but miss a ball you know you should easily get just because something didnt feel exactly the same.
    No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Nuneaton
    This is tomwalker147's Country Flag

    Posts
    801
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
    Cheers Tom, I know it makes good sense, i think it adds to the rhythm and timing of the shot and therefore will also add to a players confidence too. You can be cueing beautifully, feeling like you can pot anything but miss a ball you know you should easily get just because something didnt feel exactly the same.
    Absolutely right mate, I knocked in a ton a few weeks ago and a couple of frames later missed on 88 on a max, probably never cued so well over 4/5 frames then the next session I was beyond useless.
    Basically worked out that i'd played so well the night before that I took everything for granted and didn't give each shot the respect they deserved!
    "just tap it in"

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Southend
    This is Cue crafty's Country Flag

    Posts
    1,410
    vCash
    1000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
    Cheers Tom, I know it makes good sense, i think it adds to the rhythm and timing of the shot and therefore will also add to a players confidence too. You can be cueing beautifully, feeling like you can pot anything but miss a ball you know you should easily get just because something didnt feel exactly the same.
    Absolutely right mate, I knocked in a ton a few weeks ago and a couple of frames later missed on 88 on a max, probably never cued so well over 4/5 frames then the next session I was beyond useless.
    Basically worked out that i'd played so well the night before that I took everything for granted and didn't give each shot the respect they deserved!
    Brilliant Tom, that last bit says it all doesn't it. We all want to pot all the balls without trying too hard like Ronnie and Jimmy used too. Even Ron concentrates hard on every shot now.
    No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •