Thread: Origin of "Triple Crown"

vCash

Default Origin of "Triple Crown"

I was wondering if anyone knows the origin of the term - in relation to winning the big 3 events. From my own memory, the term was mainly used (in the old days) in relation to Rugby Union (beating the other 3 home nations), although it may also have been in sports I wasn't following like Horse Racin

-- This message may have been cut off and the rest will only be shown to members. To become a member, Click HERE --

vCash

I didn't know about the 1999 reference, but to be honest I thought it was the BBC trying to gloss over its dramatic reduction in coverage and dropping

-- You need to be registered to read the rest of this thread, To become a member, Click HERE --

vCash

Certainly agree about the UK. Seems to be pretty much the same as any other ranking event. OK, its the best of 11 rather than 9 or 7 but really nothin

-- You need to be registered to read the rest of this thread, To become a member, Click HERE --

This is Tim65's Country Flag

vCash

First person I remember using it was Hazel Irvine.Just happened to refer to the three BBC events of course.Before this the BBC also used to televise t

"You're not standing in my line of sight,but you are standing in my line of thought".

vCash

Probably the "big three" was a term made up by the BBC but it seems to have died out now to be replaced by "triple crown", which is used much more wid

This is Cyril's Country Flag

vCash

It's definitely a term coined by the BBC to "big up" their own events. It was never used until after they dropped the Grand Prix from their broadcasti