Thread: The quality of commentators.

vCash

Default The quality of commentators.

The quality of commentators.

It is great to watch any game, we all love the game thatís why we are here.

To watch any game without a English commentary is a bit ÖÖ. Less interesting, and I am talking about watching Snooker on some tube or another when the commentator is speaking a language we donít understand.

I recently watched a video of WT talking about how he believes he is a good commentator and how he thinks he should be back on TV doing his thing, I too think he is one of the best out there and I would love to have him back, I do miss his honesty and ability to call the shot and dissect errors. Free Willie is what I say.

I am watching the OíSullivan vs Robertson 2nd session of the final right now and Clive Everton is commentating with Alan McManus.

Please explain to me why Clive Everton is still commentating, PLEASE DO NOT think I am being disrespectful I am not, I am just saying there are many Ė many other much better commentators out there who are more than capable of doing this job.

Clive just got the name of the player wrong, he keeps stating the obvious, regarding how many points are left on the table when there are only 4 balls left, the monotonous drone is spoiling it for me, I am sorry Clive but its time I think.

Is there a reason why WT is not commentating any more ? from his video it doesnít sound like it is his choice.

Finally, is there any news about the referee who canít find the black spot and forgets to get the reds out of the pocket ?

This is Steve748's Country Flag

vCash

It's not often I am the first to reply but I'm not quoting you as I see it as pointless but there is always somebody who ...just has to quote the OP

I agree I like WT too and hopefully some other network will pick him up.

Phil Yates is the worst I have ever heard

This is Mark187187's Country Flag

vCash

Couldn't stand WT. On occassion if he didn't like a player he would get pretty angry about it. And he spouted a lot about Ronnie like he was on commission.

I don't mind Clive. He has a tone of voice I like, even if he doesn't add alot of insight. He's not as bad as a few others- Ronnie or Murphy in the box is excruciating, Mark Davis and Dominic Dale not much better.

This is vmax's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smiffie View Post
    The quality of commentators.

It is great to watch any game, we all love the game that’s why we are here.

To watch any game without a English commentary is a bit ……. Less interesting, and I am talking about watching Snooker on some tube or another when the commentator is speaking a language we don’t understand.

I recently watched a video of WT talking about how he believes he is a good commentator and how he thinks he should be back on TV doing his thing, I too think he is one of the best out there and I would love to have him back, I do miss his honesty and ability to call the shot and dissect errors. Free Willie is what I say.

I am watching the O’Sullivan vs Robertson 2nd session of the final right now and Clive Everton is commentating with Alan McManus.

Please explain to me why Clive Everton is still commentating, PLEASE DO NOT think I am being disrespectful I am not, I am just saying there are many – many other much better commentators out there who are more than capable of doing this job.

Clive just got the name of the player wrong, he keeps stating the obvious, regarding how many points are left on the table when there are only 4 balls left, the monotonous drone is spoiling it for me, I am sorry Clive but its time I think.

Is there a reason why WT is not commentating any more ? from his video it doesn’t sound like it is his choice.

Finally, is there any news about the referee who can’t find the black spot and forgets to get the reds out of the pocket ?
    WT will complain about the size of the pockets if he thinks they're too generous, has done it several times and I think that's the reason why he isn't commentating on the BBC anymore. The pockets are tight and the pros have it harder than us is the mantra they all have to abide by even though that's wrong.
    He was in the studio at the Welsh yet they allowed Darren Morgan to commentate, a decision that mystifies me as Willie is probably the most knowledgable there is on break building and sees the break happening and talks the general public through it very well.

I agree I miss him too, anyone but Darren Morgan, Steve Davis, Phil Yates and Dennis Taylor.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

This is the_unrepentant's Country Flag

vCash

I wasn't much of a fan of Willie Thorne in commentary. I found him a little harsh. I'm one of the very few that loves Steve Davis in commentary as I just find him funny! He clearly isn't taking it seriously. Phil Yates is just awful. How he has that job is beyond me. Everything is completely over the top, too many unnecessary words just to make a point and I love the way Hendry ignores his constant a**se licking. As for Clive, I have never liked his monotone voice. Its like he is asking a question every sentence and he just makes far too many errors. Even this afternoon he got the scores mixed up between the players. Time to retire me thinks. For me, the 3 best commentators are Hendry, McManus and Foulds.
    Burroughes and Watts full size table with steel block vacuum cushions and Strachen 6811 Tournament Cloth
    Formerly Bill Werbeniuk's practice table in the 1980's
    1G Amarith balls used by Ding Junhui in 2017
    8m x 5m Grande Servern Plus log cabin from Dunster House

vCash

Alan Mc is relatively new when it comes to commentating, but he is very good at it because he likes to give his views on a shot and says things like "shiver me timbers" and "wow wee" when an excellent shot is played, and that is enjoyable to listen to because it shows he really appreciates how tough that shot was. Angles can stay

Foulds ? I have to wonder if anything excites him, he is without a doubt knowledgeable about the game but then who isn't ? anyone who has ever played in a Final knows the shots before they are played, maybe he is cheap .

Stephen Hendry is an excellent commentator, he can stay for sure, Hendry and McManus the perfect pair.

I like JV too, good old fashioned snooker chat with some comedy, seems like he doesn't know where the white ball is going though ?

I am a massive Ronnie fan and IMHO there isn't no one better at the job, but like ya'know it's like ya'know like yeah like.

Phil Yates, I am with you guys here, Pass.

Steve Davis, not so bad but not my choice.

The Spaceman - Jimmy - Darren Morgan - Dennis Taylor - Murphy were NOT made for the job.

Getting back to Willie, Yes he is critical of wrong shorts, big pockets, time wasters and anything else that isn't right, but whats wrong with that if he is right ? and yes he can give praise when it is due, but if it is due then why not ?

WT with JV, and Hendry with McManus for me.

vCash

Two pearlers from Alan McManus today
    “More spin than a backbencher”
    “Made my heart leap like a Tay river salmon”

This is Ronnie's tip's Country Flag

vCash

Alan McManus, Hendry and Foulds are the best IMO. They articulate/sound great and don't mind saying something that isn't obvious or negative about a player. David Hendon is good too but he does lack that dramatic tone in his voice for those incredibly tense and dramatic moments. Actually the opposite of Taylor these days who I find irritating with his repetitive talk which he uses every match - but he does hit them high notes for a huge miss or crazy pot.

Joe Johnson and Phil Yates have no business though. If I'm not too fussed at who is playing on Eurosport, JJ has often been the difference between me watching and switching off.

The BBC probably need a bit of a shake up overall.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie's tip View Post
    Alan McManus, Hendry and Foulds are the best IMO. They articulate/sound great and don't mind saying something that isn't obvious or negative about a player. David Hendon is good too but he does lack that dramatic tone in his voice for those incredibly tense and dramatic moments. Actually the opposite of Taylor these days who I find irritating with his repetitive talk which he uses every match - but he does hit them high notes for a huge miss or crazy pot.

Joe Johnson and Phil Yates have no business though. If I'm not too fussed at who is playing on Eurosport, JJ has often been the difference between me watching and switching off.

The BBC probably need a bit of a shake up overall.
    Great post agree with all points especially the last one!