Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Practice Vs Play

This is John Flaf's Country Flag

vCash

Default Practice Vs Play

Sorry if this has been asked before am new here, When I practice it really gives me a 'buzz' when I pot long balls off the blue spot and then a short routine involving potting black of its spot and then the pink in 4 pockets ( Barry Stark on Youtube ) TBH I Enjoy it, but when i play a game with someone I know I can beat my game disapears my potting is bad and I keep thinking of my mistakes not the game.

Could you good folk with more knowledge than me give me some advice.

John.

This is neil taperell's Country Flag

vCash

It's something called...…..pressure . Even if you don't think it is .
    Neil

vCash

Thanks Neil, Nail, Head, me thinks never thought of that I think I put too much pressure on myself in trying to play well, will have to find a way of stoping doin it.

This is neil taperell's Country Flag

vCash

It's bloody hard , i'm the same . Play ok-ish in practice , and then go to pieces in matches .
    Neil

This is Cue crafty's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by John Flaf View Post
    Thanks Neil, Nail, Head, me thinks never thought of that I think I put too much pressure on myself in trying to play well, will have to find a way of stoping doin it.
    When someone first said to me you should only expect to produce about half your practice form in a match as standard, it helped me lower expectations slightly. In turn that's makes it easier to accept your misses and not beat yourself up over them. This part is most important! When you beat yourself up it compounds anger and creates tension in your arm which results in.... You guessed it, more misses! It's a cycle that must be broken.

Chill, remember it's a game and the main aim is to have fun. Try to forget technical thoughts in a match, save them for solo. Just aim, draw back the bow string and fire at the target. When you miss, smile and sing your favourite song ( in your head of course)

Good luck.
    No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
    When someone first said to me you should only expect to produce about half your practice form in a match as standard, it helped me lower expectations slightly. In turn that's makes it easier to accept your misses and not beat yourself up over them. This part is most important! When you beat yourself up it compounds anger and creates tension in your arm which results in.... You guessed it, more misses! It's a cycle that must be broken.

Chill, remember it's a game and the main aim is to have fun. Try to forget technical thoughts in a match, save them for solo. Just aim, draw back the bow string and fire at the target. When you miss, smile and sing your favourite song ( in your head of course)

Good luck.
    +1
    Agree with everything... Snooker is a psychological game more so than many others.
    Train your thoughts to be only positive
    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
    National Snooker Expo
    25-27 October 2019
    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

This is Csmith's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

Good luck.
    I agree with everything you say about the mental game. That was a huge thing to work on for me, but I don't think we necessarily play only 50% or 70% of our game, I think it is more to do with having a misguided conception of how well we play. That may sound pedantic but I think the distinction is important. First, I think the most common thing I hear is "I make 50's in practice but rarely in competition". I know one guy who is fastly improving player in my room who has said that, but when I watch him practice he gives himself these perfectly ideal positions with nothing on the rails and clear paths for all the colours and reds. Eventually he knocks in a 50, but those opportunities don't come up often in matches and even less often with a sitter of a red to start with.

The distinction I was talking about is essentially to realize that players tend to not practice real in game scenarios. It's kind of like never practicing shots from the rough in golf. If you never leave the driving range, your game won't translate well to the course. My high breaks in matches started coming far more often once I started getting better at developing reds and controlling those little canons since those are chances you tend to get in real match play scenarios. With that in mind, I think if you are missing a shot that you can make 9 out of 10 times in practice, I would expect that is down to nerves which is manifested in tense arms/hands, extra movement etc.

I think I do tend to play the same game in competition as in practice even though I get more big breaks in practice. But that has to do with having unlimited tries in practice vs. working with what my opponent leaves me. As long as I am executing individual shots the same as I would expect I figure that my game is translating well.

vCash

Thank you everyone for your feedback and insight, between you you have summed me up completly, so I shall TRY and not take a game too seriuosly, More importantly you have highlighted a problem I thought I had but now I'm sure.

Going up to Glasgow next week to help cousin who just happens to live round the corner to Masters Snooker club Craigpark, going to take my cue and will probably join as well.

Thank you
    John.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by John Flaf View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked before am new here, When I practice it really gives me a 'buzz' when I pot long balls off the blue spot and then a short routine involving potting black of its spot and then the pink in 4 pockets ( Barry Stark on Youtube ) TBH I Enjoy it, but when i play a game with someone I know I can beat my game disapears my potting is bad and I keep thinking of my mistakes not the game.

Could you good folk with more knowledge than me give me some advice.

John.
    A very good player and former professional told me something very important about snooker which is highlighted in your post.

If the game is 1/3 technical and 2/3 mental then why are you thinking about all the other garbage like missing balls and being annoyed etc when your in live play? The reason you dish up in practice is because your focused, your concentration is better.

All good players will practice many many hours of potting simple balls over and over to build not only the technique but also the concentration and confidence neccessary to clear up and score heaviliy in live frames.

I agree about 50% of your solo scoring will show up in a game, some ways you can make solo more pressurised to get round this is limit your attempts at routines or use a timer. For example I'll use the line up to warm up, i give myself 3 attempts at it for a clearance and I normally get it the 1st or second time, you can become mentally lazy if you think you have hours and hours on a single drill especially something like the line up which is a very common routine.

Cueing the long blues examines your cueing but again you can make a performance based drill out of that by seeing how many you can score out of 10 on only 2 or 3 attempts, then you could move on to potting a specific ball you know you've missed a few times in a match so that's your weakness for that week pot that ball 50 times and then move on.

You could finish by clearing the colours 3x or 3x in a row or 5x in a row depending on your ability level.

Thats some ideas of how you could make solo play more like a frame in terms of pressure and when your playing you have to forget everything and just relax your arm and concentrate fully on the task at hand which is the balls.

vCash

Thank you Derek for that in depth analysis, you are spot on, I've watched many a video on YT covering exactly what you are saying Although I have'nt as yet tried a Line Up, I saw TedisBill clear the table the other day, He suggested for a beginner to start with five reds from pink to blue so will try that at some point I usually put 2 reds either side of the blue, Another new routine I did recently was blue on spot and see how many times I could pot and screw back into pocket followed by following through potting blue and white in same pocket, screwing back was easier I found I only managed 11 follow throughs though.

Regards
    John.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast