Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you pick your angles!!! - bad memory

This is arunprajan's Country Flag

vCash

Default Potting angles

The best way to find out and angle of pot is
    1. Before potting a ball you should find out that on what angle u r hitting the object ball whether 1/2,1,4 or 3/4.
    2. Then u should tell ur mind that I am going to hit a 1/2,1/4 or3/4 as the case may be.
    3. U shouldn't simply hit 1/2,1/4 or 3/4 ball but while hitting u should make sure that the object ball is going towards the required pocket.
    If u follow these 3 steps u will never miss the ball.
    lol, better potting

vCash

Had a lesson a couple of weeks ago about this its hard to let instinct go but i potted a few just on memory and it certainly makes the game less mentally tiring as your putting it in the hands of a tested system rather than mentally using your brain like a angle computer 4 each pot- even though you have done that to a degree by figuring out if it 1/4 1/2 ball so on I can imagine with lots of practise its great just hard to let go from instinct potting

This is tomwalker147's Country Flag

vCash

It's just repetition just keep playing shots again and again and again and they'll become automatic. If you've potted the balls before then you've seen the angle and can do it again.
    There's no need for these diagrams etc, just practice practice practice.
    "just tap it in"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
    It's just repetition just keep playing shots again and again and again and they'll become automatic. If you've potted the balls before then you've seen the angle and can do it again.
    There's no need for these diagrams etc, just practice practice practice.
    Yeah that's what my initial thought where and wasn't to impressed with it but apparently some pros have used it all there career so gonna give it a few hours practise see how it goes, just practising 1/4 1/2 3/4 ball pots. I will report back

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Welshbaizeboy View Post
    Yeah that's what my initial thought where and wasn't to impressed with it but apparently some pros have used it all there career so gonna give it a few hours practise see how it goes, just practising 1/4 1/2 3/4 ball pots. I will report back
    good man... I've played for years and not to a bad standard but I go through phases where I'll miss certain balls, I usually just play the same shot 50 times until I nail it. I had an issue with pinks to the right middle, just played the shot again and again in practice until it felt unmissable.
    "just tap it in"

This is Terry Davidson's Country Flag

vCash

good man... I've played for years and not to a bad standard but I go through phases where I'll miss certain balls, I usually just play the same shot 50 times until I nail it. I had an issue with pinks to the right middle, just played the shot again and again in practice until it felt unmissable.
    Excellent recommendation and what I've had to do with the exact same shot on the pink. In addition to that I would recommend practicing the line-up but rather that replacing the balls and starting over just replace the one you missed either the pot or position and try it over again until you master it. I've always had problems with replacing the balls and starting over again because with a new player the practice he would get is setting up the balls, not making them.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

vCash

Surely genuine 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 ball shots are extremely rare, perhaps one in a few thousand. I would have thought that most shots are plus or minus fractions of an inch or mm's either side of the 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 and, guessing this needs great skill.

In addition to points mentioned in earlier posts above, I am wondering what system fellow members use when lining up a shot. If you have decided that a particular shot is a 1/4 ball shot, do you picture in your mind that you want to cover a 1/4 of the object ball with the white or, do you aim the centre of the white about 1/2 an inch outside of the object ball?

vCash

I don't go into any shot thinking "it's a 3/4 or 1/2 ball shot", I just pick the part of the object ball the cue ball needs to hit to make it go in the pocket. I can't help but think everybody's making the game much harder than it needs to be by over complicating things.
    "just tap it in"

vCash

To simplify - I visualise the line the object ball must go down to be potted and try and send it there -

\\\\\\\\\\\therefore my focus is on this line rather than on the bob - how do you do that - practice repetition and I don't exactly know really how to explain -you play the shots so many times before you just know - muscle memory plays a part and having a solid pre shot routine to fall back on can help if things don't go to plan. This might not work for everyone if you are thinking about your routine though - Personally I have found my best game comes out when I think of absolutely nothing and hum a tune to myself in my head.

Things like position side or type of shot stun screw blah blah is already worked out because of your experience in playing the game and I already have an idea of half ball quarter ball 3 quarter snik or whatever roughly though I dont actually think about this now I am sure I used to once over. If in doubt it can help at distance to try the overlap method and when learning there can be some benefit in something called the parallel aiming system and 90 degree rule and stuff of this nature to help a player struggling to understand or work on potting angles I suppose.

Just do whatever you think might inspire practice or fix the angles in your mind that you need to hit to make the pot. Basically there are systems but none are any good on there own without dedication to practice... Eventually after doing your own head in with all this crap you realise things that work for you or don't - or sometimes they do and you think right I have got it I am never going to miss another ball then somehow the next night you play like Donald duck If you are asking this question then rest assured it is something everyone has gone though so don't worry - just repeat the exercises line ups 100 blacks the T the star the Christmas tree the sequential line up whatever routines you have - then you work on weakness and technique and well you just put the hours in.

We all start off learner drivers and are taught a basic technique to drive - hands at ten to two - you might crunch through the gears having to think about too much at once - eventually after a year or so you drive enough you get from A to B on your journey and just do it naturally and smoother though you might not notice the improvement at first because you are still thinking too much - you may also pick up habits but don't worry - they become part of the way you do things part of what makes you you on that table - there is no real specific one way - and you can learn to be a better driver through lessons and by applying that practical application or demonstration into your own way of driving to improve your skill set/technique, or you can just carry on scratching your bum not checking your mirrors or whatever bad habits you have when driving.

Consistency is key but basically you find your own way - and you will too. Good luck and remember though you might experience pleasure it does not come without some experience of pain.
    Last edited by Byrom; 30th August 2017 at 05:41 PM.

vCash

Amateurs practise a shot until they can make it. Pros practise a shot until they cannot miss it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast