Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First impressions

Edited to avoid unintended offense.
    Last edited by firefrets; 21 February 2011, 05:24 PM.

Also, I've just seen a post with a poll, but the poll tells me I can't vote in it.

What exactly 'can' new members take part in?

Comment

I started reading this thread and then it just went on and on, so i stopped a few lines in...

It aint that bad here fella you just have to relax a bit, and by the way when i read a few of your posts saying your a mature fellow and been playing for x amount of time amongst other tidbits about being a mature member etc, i thought you was getting on a bit, but then you said your in your 40's..lol... (that tickled me aye)

Yeah the moderation and a few bits and pieces aint perfect here but it aint all that bad, theres some real decent helpful folk on this forum, like all forums it has it's faults and i do agree the moderation is a bit.......sometimes but that's upto ferret how he runs the place, so just adhere to his/forum rules and you'll be fine... Just relax and calm down will ya...

Some of the posts you say did'nt count because some parts of the forum i think don't count as a posting or summat like that, i dunno but you ain't half wound up about something ain't ya bud......take a deep breath and relax.
      No rush now is there to check out profiles, voting polls, etc is it?...:

Your only in your 40's eh, i really thought you come across like a real old codger aye...

Anyway... wanna buy an imported immitation leather case for £100ono? lol.

(all in jest)....

Comment

Originally Posted by cally View Post
        I started reading this thread and then it just went on and on, so i stopped a few lines in...

It aint that bad here fella you just have to relax a bit, and by the way when i read a few of your posts saying your a mature fellow and been playing for x amount of time amongst other tidbits about being a mature member etc, i thought you was getting on a bit, but then you said your in your 40's..lol... (that tickled me aye)

Yeah the moderation and a few bits and pieces aint perfect here but it aint all that bad, theres some real decent helpful folk on this forum, like all forums it has it's faults and i do agree the moderation is a bit.......sometimes but that's upto ferret how he runs the place, so just adhere to his/forum rules and you'll be fine... Just relax and calm down will ya...

Some of the posts you say did'nt count because some parts of the forum i think don't count as a posting or summat like that, i dunno but you ain't half wound up about something ain't ya bud......take a deep breath and relax.
        No rush now is there to check out profiles, voting polls, etc is it?...:

Your only in your 40's eh, i really thought you come across like a real old codger aye...

Anyway... wanna buy an imported immitation leather case for £100ono? lol.

(all in jest)....
        Lol.

Annoyed by a Scot and calmed by a Welshman. The worlds gone mads I tell ya. Stay cool man.

Comment

I can't answer all of your points but I can answer some.

Firstly, as far as I am aware you can access anyone's profile just by clicking their name wherever it appears in the Forum.

I do know that the messaging facility becomes available once you have posted (I think) 10 posts on the forum.

As far as I know, moderation is done very much in moderation. Maybe because you have not yet made 10 posts, but I thought all items went on straight away unless you've been a naughty boy in which case your posts may be moderated before being published.

There was a problem with persistent spammers and nasty pieces of work who repetitively rejoined under a different name etc., and I think that is why the moderation of new members has been organised as it has.

Comment

Originally Posted by firefrets View Post

After reading the forum for a day, I have to say there seems to be a lot of unnecessary moderation here...
            I'm surprised at that, I think the moderation here is pretty lenient, on the whole. I see loads of off topic posts and chat, and a fair bit of general rule flouting that is basically ignored.

I can't see any members list, so can't check where my friends are.
            http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...name&order=asc

Even if I find them, there appears to be no private messaging facility.

I can't view anyones profile (including my own).
            You need to post 10 times before these things are available to you, this is a common complaint.

I can't ask a moderator a question.
            You can always ask a question on the support helpdesk forum:
            http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...isplay.php?f=5

I can't read without being logged in.
            Is that really so bad?

1 in every 3 posts I have made has not been allowed in the thread, and has a moderation message after submitting it.

Although I turned the notification off, I'm still getting emails telling me people have replied to the threads.

I can't edit any posts I make, regardless of when I look to edit it.
            Not sure about these, maybe someone else can shed some light on them.

There appears to be lots of banned members.
            Rules are rules I'm afraid, this is a family friendly forum, so the mods are quite right to be strict sometimes. And as The Statman pointed out, we get a LOT of spammers.

The 'contact us' link doesn't even appear part of the site.
            As far as I can see, it's at the bottom of most if not every page.

All in all lads, my first impressions here aren't that great.

The place comes across as a bit cold, and I've often had to check my account isn't banned or disabled, because I get so many messages about 'not having permission' that I often log off.
            Stick with us mate, you won't regret it. I think once you get past 10 posts things will get better, and this really is by far and away the best snooker forum in the world! It may not be perfect, but what in life is?

-
            Last edited by PatBlock; 17 February 2011, 10:14 AM.
            The fast and the furious,
            The slow and labourious,
            All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Although I turned the notification off, I'm still getting emails telling me people have replied to the threads.
              Go to User CP, under subscribed thread (left menu) click "list subscriptions". Note, some of the thread will have a notification type, that's because when you replied you had that notification setting. To stop notifications either delete the subscription or update the subscription type (tick the offending items and select the action from the drop down at the bottom).
              "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
              - Linus Pauling

Comment

Overall, some very valid concerns and points. I am sure Ferret will take notice, but he is a one man band so things don't often happen immediately.

The reason for many of the apparently harsh moderation and restrictions are to raise the barrier against time wasters and spammers, and I have to say that either it works, or they're just not interested in our forum, because we have very few of them.

But, if you stick around you'll find plenty of members are just like you, older (vs in your teens or 20s) and with a lot of valuable experience, and I can tell from your well thought out and polite posts (that I have read so far) you're exactly the sort of person we do attract here, and tend to keep coming back. I think you'll fit in here fairly well.

That said, we do have plenty to offer all sorts of players, and some people prefer the serious posts on technique, others the updates on tournaments and the snooker scene, and still others just like a chat and to have a laugh. Luckily there are separate forums for everyone and people don't tend to blur the lines more than acceptable (to most people).

I prefer the technique questions and answers and I can't fathom how/why very.tee's happy birthday thread is still going.. but they seem happy and each to their own I say
                "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                - Linus Pauling

Comment

Some kind and thoughtful replies. Thank you for taking the post as it was intended.

Everything seems to be good now. I have full functionality on the above points. I completely understand the need to discourage those who wish to take advantage of the site, and as stated, my comments were well meant, and designed to give the team an honest opinion on a matter they aren't able to experience first hand somewhat.

All the best.

Comment

firefrets> There is hardly anything on your profile for anybody to read, never mind reading it yourself..

I started two threads several months ago and there was nothing bad at all in them, and one was a little comical, but they never saw the light of day and I never really knew the reason why.

As somebody has said, there are some postings that do get away with some things, but the really bad ones do get stopped and rightly so.

These things come to try us.
                    :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Acrowot View Post
                      firefrets> There is hardly anything on your profile for anybody to read, never mind reading it yourself..

I started two threads several months ago and there was nothing bad at all in them, and one was a little comical, but they never saw the light of day and I never really knew the reason why.

As somebody has said, there are some postings that do get away with some things, but the really bad ones do get stopped and rightly so.

These things come to try us.
                      :snooker:
                      My profile will always be empty bud. I like to think of it as an extension of my head.

Comment

Working...
                      X