Baulk foul or miss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baulk foul or miss?

HI, I was playing billiards yesterday evening with a friend in our club and had the following scenario appear in which we both didn't know what should happen.
    I played an in off which was succesful but the opponents cue ball also went down and the red ended up in the baulk area. Fair enough, I had to play out of baulk and back in off the side cushion to try and hit the red but it missed and went down the baulk pocket. As this was a genuine attempt to hit the red ( I don't like rolling it down the table and giving 2 points away) can my opponent call a foul have the balls spotted or is it a miss and does he now have to play out of baulk and back in to try and hit the red?
    Doesn't happen often but would like to know what to do if it happens again.....
    Thanks

I don't know the rules of English Billiards well, so I asked a friend who is ranked in the EPSB billiards ranks
    His answer is:

"It is NOT a foul and yes your opponent has to play from baulk and can shoot his ball into a pocket off one or more cushions but not directly it is his choice to hit the red or not."
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

In this scenario I think you can choose to have the balls spotted.
      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

My ranking-Billiard playing friend gave me a call and here is my attempt to translate what was said (I repeat I am no billiard player ).

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
        In this scenario I think you can choose to have the balls spotted.
        He says this scenario is not a respot situation as the balls are not in the playing area (they are in the baulk area).

Back to the original scenario:

Originally Posted by Jeffers 99 View Post
        As this was a genuine attempt to hit the red ( I don't like rolling it down the table and giving 2 points away)
        There is still 2 penalty points given as you missed the ball.

Originally Posted by Jeffers 99 View Post
        ...can my opponent call a foul have the balls spotted or is it a miss and does he now have to play out of baulk and back in to try and hit the red?
        No respot - as balls are not in the playing area).
        The opponent:
        1. has to play out of baulk (because not double baulked).
        2. can play out of baulk "roll up the table" and give 2 penalty points; or
        3. can play out of and back into baulk, if misses the Red then 2 penalty points, end of turn; if hits Red, no foul no penalty points given, end of turn; if pots Red, Red spotted and turn continues.

Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

That's great! Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Working...
          X