First Billiard Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Billiard Quiz

Just a question for you biiliard officianados out there, had this shot come up in a billiard final last week and wondered if anyone can work out what shot I played to get a cannon on the red; I was plain (white).

I aint no expert, my highest break's only 39; so there's no great man-points on offer for me... just thought from the reaction of my opponent, I thought I'd share it.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...lliardShot.jpg

The usual clue after a few guesses, unless someone hits the mark.
    Head Still... Follow Through... Keep it Tight... Never Give Up... Ton 'em if you can!

Wei makes a 3 cushion by the way.

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/caromtable.html

Heres the shot:

START(
    %BL1V7%Cm8C9%EK7D0%GU0]3%HC2I0%IH2C5%JJ6D3%KL3V7%Ul7E3%VS4[4
    %eA5a4
    )END

Thin hit the yellow left with around 1 tip of left. Should be going into diamond 3 on the third rail.

Comment

nice shape to the shot SD; the lhs would widen the angle on the green cushion.

fly in the ointment is that it's not what I played... a clue for head scratching devotees is that I only used 1 cushion. (I'd've hosted up the picture showing your shot, but I only got the dreaded red-ex for the shockwave player... will reboot, the new version seemed to install okay the other day)
      Head Still... Follow Through... Keep it Tight... Never Give Up... Ton 'em if you can!

Comment

One cushion you say, that's a headscratcher. I should say I've only played billiards once and my highest break is 5, but I'll have a go.

Two shots I can think of
        Play the double kiss on the right hand side of the yellow to send the white back towards the cushion to the right of the lower middle pocket as we look at, then back up towards the red. A bit of side to be used if the middle pocket is in the way (looks like it is). If you played this one and judged it right you deserve a medal.

Probably slightly easier, a bit more extravagent: Play the yellow half ball on the right hand side with a lot of top and possibly a bit of check side. The white hits the cushion off the yellow but arcs back up to the red.

Comment

Originally Posted by Robert602
          Probably slightly easier, a bit more extravagent: Play the yellow half ball on the right hand side with a lot of top and possibly a bit of check side. The white hits the cushion off the yellow but arcs back up to the red.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking but had no idea what spin you would need on the cue ball to keep it allong the cushion that the yellow and red are on.

either that or lots of bottom right off the yellow to bring it back towards the cushion that you're playing from, with the right hand side on the cue ball it takes off from the cushion (left of middle pocket) towards the red? I have no idea if that would work but worth a guess

Comment

Did you play right bottom the cue ball must have gone along the cushion and cannoned?
            Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...otsolution.jpg

Rob guessed correctly, "you've passed". He even got the way I thought about double-kissing with LHS to the opposite cushion.... but I'd've wanted a fair pot of cash, world peace and Liverpool to win next year's Premier League for reward!

Jay was on the right track; what you can try Jay, is for a ball on the cushion like this, maybe a red on the baulk cushion, a mad safety shot is with the white just off full-on, do the same shot and the white can stay on the cushion with the white staying safely near the cushion.

A more standard shot is to play cushion first behind it with a trace of top, as the white pings into the ball it stops quicker because the topspin has turned into backspin. If you see how the Pro's put so much screw smashing into the reds, the white, "goes, and goes again", similar to bouncing along the cushion.

There've been times when a red over a black corner pocket has been thumped in and with mucho topspin, the white flies off the top cushion and seemingly puts air brakes on and gets perfect position on the black... where's that YouTube link!

For the doublekiss safety, I've only played it a few times, but it's an option similar to the way Ebdon played it to get the white from the red on the top cushion, all the way back to the baulk cushion... excellent shot.

Ranen; your shot'd be on if the ball was further off the cushion and you avoid the double kiss.

The reaction I got was," Jeezus, I've never seen a shot like that, since....... NEVER!! ".

(PS your typo for spelling extravagant Rob could be a great name for a niche clothes shop for men... ExtravaGent )

Comment

(PS Ranen; I'll get you those photos of Ronnie soon; just seen that Google's Web Accelerator was using up 256MB and making my 1MB internet connection as slow as 14kbps! )

Comment

Working...
                X