This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, that idea is awesome

I was always thinking of organizing tournaments at the local snooker rooms...

Comment

Just a little advance warning though...it's a thankless job, as I just found out. As I play in them and organized them I was accused of rigging the draw and a few of the players will be really hard to manage.

We had to write up a whole bunch of rules to cover things like being late for a match, walking out on a match, using unsportmanlike conduct, dress and a few other things like if you enter you better show up or else you will pay double the next time.

A lot of players seem to think the world revolves around them and you should tailor your organizing to suit them. These are usually the better players but the real thing is the tournaments are organized to encourage the weaker players to compete and improve so it should be organized with the majority in mind.

An example...'why do we have to start at 11am? I like to sleep in on Saturday and Sunday. Can I have a late draw so I can sleep in?' My answer was, 'gee, I would hate to ruin your sleeping in, so why don't you just do that instead of entering as it's always a random draw?'

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Well the way I see it is it's all about the passion for the sport...

There will be many different people you have to deal with when organizing anything at all and the main thing is to keep focused.

Can't satisfy everyones needs so when a problem comes up you deal with it.

Comment

I talked with my mentor, and local billiard hall owner, for a few years about hosting snooker tournaments. The short answer was consistently no. The problem is that it is uneconomical to be operating snooker tables at the venue from the perspective of running a business -- about two pool tables can fit in the space of one snooker table. He has been running the venue for 25 years and the business was snooker-only back then. This is why there are only two snooker tables at this venue today and they charge a 40% higher hourly rate. There aren't enough tables for a tournament, anyway.

Really, the root cause of why snooker events are so few and far between is that it isn't popular as it used to be. The youth in the '80s and '90s didn't have the temperament for the gentlman's game, so pub-style pool had become increasingly popular. Businesses respond to the diminished demand by taking out snooker tables, which, in turn, reduces exposure, thereby reducing interest again. It's a cycle. On the flipside, snooker is at the dawn of a huge comeback now in Canada. The high penetration of Far Eastern and South Asian communities has attracted a lot of ethnic youth interest -- primarly from countries of the former British Commonwealth. Four years ago, I never had to wait in line for the snooker table. Today, I always find myself drinking at the tap to wait for an open table. It will take time, but snooker is coming back, undoubtedly influenced by the attractive, sensationalist flamboyance of players like O'Sullivan, Allen, and Robertson.

Comment

Originally Posted by Lux View Post
            I talked with my mentor, and local billiard hall owner, for a few years about hosting snooker tournaments. The short answer was consistently no. The problem is that it is uneconomical to be operating snooker tables at the venue from the perspective of running a business -- about two pool tables can fit in the space of one snooker table. He has been running the venue for 25 years and the business was snooker-only back then. This is why there are only two snooker tables at this venue today and they charge a 40% higher hourly rate. There aren't enough tables for a tournament, anyway.

Really, the root cause of why snooker events are so few and far between is that it isn't popular as it used to be. The youth in the '80s and '90s didn't have the temperament for the gentlman's game, so pub-style pool had become increasingly popular. Businesses respond to the diminished demand by taking out snooker tables, which, in turn, reduces exposure, thereby reducing interest again. It's a cycle. On the flipside, snooker is at the dawn of a huge comeback now in Canada. The high penetration of Far Eastern and South Asian communities has attracted a lot of ethnic youth interest -- primarly from countries of the former British Commonwealth. Four years ago, I never had to wait in line for the snooker table. Today, I always find myself drinking at the tap to wait for an open table. It will take time, but snooker is coming back, undoubtedly influenced by the attractive, sensationalist flamboyance of players like O'Sullivan, Allen, and Robertson.
            Correctamundo mate! Absolutely vodka!
            Just add Ding. Wenbo. Fu.
            A powerful concoction sure to knock the cobwebs off the snooker balls!

Cheers!

=o)

Noel

Comment

I hope it does make a comeback in Canada and think they should hold a ranking event over there that would encourage the growth of our sport and involve some of the former and up and coming pro's/players back into the fold.
              I liked Cliff Thourburn, who was a real nice guy and could play some shots that looked impossible. He actually did the best clearance I have ever seen, but there where many others too and I personally would love to come go out there and watch/play some snooker with you guys, take in some sights and share the odd bottle of single malt.

:snooker:

Comment

I also would love to go to Canada one day. To hold a ranking event there is a great idea.

Comment

Originally Posted by checkSide View Post
                  I also would love to go to Canada one day. To hold a ranking event there is a great idea.
                  Originally Posted by 1lawyer View Post
                  I hope it does make a comeback in Canada and think they should hold a ranking event over there that would encourage the growth of our sport and involve some of the former and up and coming pro's/players back into the fold.
                  I liked Cliff Thourburn, who was a real nice guy and could play some shots that looked impossible. He actually did the best clearance I have ever seen, but there where many others too and I personally would love to come go out there and watch/play some snooker with you guys, take in some sights and share the odd bottle of single malt.

:snooker:

Bring it on!!!

=o)

Noel

Comment

Are you up for a few frames Noel??

Comment

Originally Posted by checkSide View Post
                      Are you up for a few frames Noel??
                      Do polar bears make snow?

=o|

Noel

Comment

World Billiards Ltd is delighted to announce a brand new Major event on the billiards calendar; The Americas’ Cup will take place in Winnipeg, Canada, between 24th & 29th August 2013.

For more details see here.
                        sigpic
                        www.world-billiards.com

Comment

Working...
                        X