X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• semih sayinger

semih sayinger playing Carom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr6jWKSHcoY

Never seen this game before. Billiards without pockets ? Which countries is it played in ?

Dont know anything about the guy, other than that a well known forum member is named after him

Does The Semih do trick shot competitions and other cue sports too ?
    "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Its a variety of continental billiards. Continental billiards is actually older than english billiards or snooker. There are different disciplines.

1. Carambole billiards. Rather known as free billiards (rough translation) or libre each player elects a white ball (one is marked with a dot). The cue ball has to hit the other white ball and red ball. one point is scored. You try to score as much as possible in one go. First to 300 is the winner.

2. Quadrant billiards. the same as the above but the table is divided in quadrants. If the 2 object balls are in the same quadrant, its compulsory playing one of the object balls outside the quadrant. There are a lot a varieties within this game, depending on the size of the quadrant.

3. 3 cushion billiards. The same as under number 1, you have to hit 3 cushions before hitting the other balls. its not allowed to hit the other white and red first and then hitting 3 cushions. its played over best of 5. each frame is first to 15. This variety is the most popular and is played on a professional basis as well. World cup trophies and all.

4. What Semih is playing in the clip is called artistic billiards. You have to play according to regulated patterns. Those patterns are regulated by the billiards association. There is a variety in patterns scoring different points according to complexity of the pattern

Its played in big fashion in Belgium, Holland, France, Sweden, Italy, Spain, Turkey, Austria, Germany, Denmark. Its actually more international than snooker.

Comment

Thanks PTS.

Very informative !
      "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

At your service, sir!

Comment

In my country its known as Carrom!
          Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

Raymond Ceulemans, the old master. Blomdahl, the slightly less old master. :-)
            "I'll be back next year." --Jimmy White

Comment

Originally Posted by PaulTheSoave
              Its a variety of continental billiards. Continental billiards is actually older than english billiards or snooker.
              Interesting point, and as you are based in the Netherlands you probably have access to information which we don't have in England. My understanding is that the three ball game is variously attributed to being first played in France and England. Strangely, French references say it was invented in England, and the English say it comes from France! The Americans say it came from France and was adopted by the English "within a few years." Take your pick!

However, it is recorded in England that the common feature of the game in the late 18th century (when it is accepted that the three ball game began) is that both English and Continental games were played on identical tables, with pockets. They were also of common size, maximum 12ft x 6ft. The first reference I have to a carom (pocketless) table comes some forty years later, in the early 19th century.

I would be interested in any references you have on this subject.

Comment

Very unusual game,but very interesting!!!
                2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
                2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Incredible stuff!
                  www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper
                    I found this article to be quite good, albeit a bit short.

http://www.bca-pool.com/aboutus/history/start.shtml

Comment

I looked up the name a few days ago, I found the same vid on youtube only a more clear version I think, plus a small text with it. It says there that he plays 3 cushion, I'm afraid I can't tell the difference as I don't think anyone plays that in Greece...
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRTn3MSTULE

Comment

the link in the first post of this thread is not too shabby:-

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/showthread-t_2364.html

Comment

Interesting, I have encountered the same discussion in some dutch articles. One documents that billiards started as early as the 15th century in France. In the same document it says it was introduced in Holland in the early 17th century, and it was introduced in the states in 1653.
                          I might do some archive digging on this one. quite interesting to know where it all started.

http://biljart.zapto.org/geschiedenis.php

Originally Posted by 100-uper
                          Interesting point, and as you are based in the Netherlands you probably have access to information which we don't have in England. My understanding is that the three ball game is variously attributed to being first played in France and England. Strangely, French references say it was invented in England, and the English say it comes from France! The Americans say it came from France and was adopted by the English "within a few years." Take your pick!

However, it is recorded in England that the common feature of the game in the late 18th century (when it is accepted that the three ball game began) is that both English and Continental games were played on identical tables, with pockets. They were also of common size, maximum 12ft x 6ft. The first reference I have to a carom (pocketless) table comes some forty years later, in the early 19th century.

Comment

Very interesting link, Paul... at least some pictures were good ...

Comment

very intresting stuff there

Comment

Working...
                              X