Billiards score board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billiards score board

I got this in a job lot of snooker items, its now up in my room, electric and working. Anyone seen one like this before, any history on the item would be interesting
    Attached Files

100-uper is probably the best person to answer this.

Comment

Now there's something you don't see every day! This was introduced in 1939 by a company called "Se-On Products" based at 209 Newhall Street, Birmingham. Advertised as the "electronically illuminated scorer" it must be just about the first example of an electronic scoreboard.

It's advertised benefits were described as follows: "(1) Scoring figures being illuminated presents a clear view to spectators of the progress of the game. (2) Retains in illuminated figures a complete record of the game from beginning to end. (3) Each scoring visit to the table can be traced back in each individual 100. (4) Eliminating errors and undesirable arguments. (5) Electricity consumption negligible, only 30 watts. (6) Simple to operate, and construction "fool proof."

I don't know about the last one – it looks a bit complicated to me. I would be interested to know if it lives up to its description?

Comment

Billiards score board

Thanks for that comprehensive response, I havant seen one in 30 years of playing in clubs. It's well made, and heavy.

I love it, it goes well in my room, if you look at my albums there's photos of other scoreboards I've collected over the years.

Comment

Your John Bennett life pool board is nice. The example you have is Edwardian (c.1910) so quite late.

It's very difficult to find the pieces which invariably drop off these things. I used to have a contact who would match life buttons in size and shape by turning them from old composition balls. I have an old Ashcroft board which has half a dozen replacements from him, which you would be hard pressed to spot. Sadly this particular contact was lost some time ago.

Comment

Billiards score board

Thanks , I have the brown button, unfortunately the white spot is missing.

Steve

Comment

Working...
            X