Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billiards - Well worth a watch!

http://www.world-billiards.com/?p=7711

Hope this works. Anyone who does watch? Please comment.

Wow !!!!!!

Comment

Glad he made the 1000. Funny how he missed the next shot.

Just found this:

This is the first 1000 break in the history of EBOS & WBL and is only the 5th 1000+ break made in competition in the modern era. This follows Michael Ferreira (1149), Geet Sethi (1276), Mike Russell (1137) and Peter himself (1346).

http://www.world-billiards.com/?p=7488
      Last edited by mythman69; 20 February 2014, 12:48 AM.
      My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
      I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Nice bit of billiards action there

Comment

Did they have full video coverage of that match/break? would love a copy for my collection

Comment

Unfortunately not. There is only the posted phone video.

What I find strange is that Michael Ferreira's Break is included in the list - as it was made when there were different rules in place allowing more than today's two pots off the spot.

Comment

nice break, good on him
              I wonder if we will see a new cue come out, "The Peter Gilchrist 1000 Break cue"?

He could have at least tucked his shirt in

Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

A brilliant break from a brilliant player Peter is the reigning world champion in the long game format. Interested viewers should check out www.englishbilliards.org for a superb site with loads of video of the game.
                Mythman: I feel he may well of missed on the 1000 for two reasons. 1. in his final shot, making sure of the break, in ordinary play he may well have played the penultimate pot red to leave position for the cannon. His choice of potting the red to ensure the break meant he lost the red to the centre spot. 2. Having concentrated in club conditions for 70 odd minutes and taken the audience congratulations he probably and understandably relaxed a little more than usual.
                The 147 break at snooker obviously ends the game and allows the player to take the applause and leave for a natural break to help settle him/herself.:snooker: F.

Comment

That was very impressive..... It certainly knows his angles!!

Well played Peter, Thanks for posting the link Jb.
                  Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                  Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Well done for putting this on here JB.

Peters 500+ in the final of that event and lots of other stuff can be found here.
                    http://www.world-billiards.com/

Roy

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post

Just found this:

This is the first 1000 break in the history of EBOS & WBL and is only the 5th 1000+ break made in competition in the modern era. This follows Michael Ferreira (1149), Geet Sethi (1276), Mike Russell (1137) and Peter himself (1346).

http://www.world-billiards.com/?p=7488
                      I'm not sure how to define "competition" and "modern era" but the full list of thousand breaks which seem to be counted by the WPBSA are as follows:

1,149 Mike Ferreira (v. S. B. Agrawal) at the Saturday Club, Calcutta 15/12/1978
                      1,276 Geet Sethi (v. Bob Close) at the Holiday Inn Hotel, Bombay 30/09/1992
                      1,346 Peter Gilchrist (v. Ross Exley) at the Hamilton Cosmopolitan Club, Hamilton, New Zealand 05/10/2007
                      1,137 Mike Russell (v. Peter Gilchrist) at the PYC Hindu Gymkhana Club, Pune, India 28/08/2010
                      1,000 Peter Gilchrist (v. Dave Causier) at the Ivy Rooms, Carlow, Republic of Ireland. 16/02/2014

Personally, although it was made in an exhibition match, I would include Mike Russell's break of exactly 1000 made in Northern Ireland in 2003. It met the criteria of being played to the existing rules, had a referee in charge of the game, and a room full of witnesses. Details as follows:

1,000 Mike Russell (v. S. Currie) at the West Belfast Social Club, Belfast 26/03/2003

All of the above were made under the "two pot" rule, except Ferreira's, which allowed "five pots." This is sufficiently different to be considered as a separate achievement and not ranked with the others.

It's interesting to note that none of the above were made under the "baulkline" restriction, which was re-introduced by the WPBSA for their competitions in 1992 (short format) and extended in 1997 to cover the long games. As far as I know, the highest ever made under this rule was Mike Russell's 957 break against Geet Sethi in 1998.

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post
                        I'm not sure how to define "competition" and "modern era" but the full list of thousand breaks which seem to be counted by the WPBSA are as follows:

1,149 Mike Ferreira (v. S. B. Agrawal) at the Saturday Club, Calcutta 15/12/1978
                        1,276 Geet Sethi (v. Bob Close) at the Holiday Inn Hotel, Bombay 30/09/1992
                        1,346 Peter Gilchrist (v. Ross Exley) at the Hamilton Cosmopolitan Club, Hamilton, New Zealand 05/10/2007
                        1,137 Mike Russell (v. Peter Gilchrist) at the PYC Hindu Gymkhana Club, Pune, India 28/08/2010
                        1,000 Peter Gilchrist (v. Dave Causier) at the Ivy Rooms, Carlow, Republic of Ireland. 16/02/2014

Personally, although it was made in an exhibition match, I would include Mike Russell's break of exactly 1000 made in Northern Ireland in 2003. It met the criteria of being played to the existing rules, had a referee in charge of the game, and a room full of witnesses. Details as follows:

1,000 Mike Russell (v. S. Currie) at the West Belfast Social Club, Belfast 26/03/2003

All of the above were made under the "two pot" rule, except Ferreira's, which allowed "five pots." This is sufficiently different to be considered as a separate achievement and not ranked with the others.

It's interesting to note that none of the above were made under the "baulkline" restriction, which was re-introduced by the WPBSA for their competitions in 1992 (short format) and extended in 1997 to cover the long games. As far as I know, the highest ever made under this rule was Mike Russell's 957 break against Geet Sethi in 1998.
                        Thanks 100-uper for the info. What is the "baulkline" restriction?
                        My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                        I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
                          Thanks 100-uper for the info. What is the "baulkline" restriction?
                          The cue ball is required to cross the baulkline at least once during the last twenty points in any hundred. This rule was first introduced in 1933 to stop nursery cannons, but it also works quite well in stopping big breaks at the top of the table. It was abolished from the general game in 1964 before being re-introduced by the WPBSA for professional players only.

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post
                            This is actually not correct as the opponent was Christian Kirk.

Comment

Anyone who watches the footage of the world final between Russell and Sitwala will see the effect of this rule. It was virtually no handicap to Russell due to his mesmerising positional play at the top and was the beginning of the end of a couple of promising runs for Sitwala.

Comment

Working...
                              X