Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you play billiard skittles???

billiard skittles.jpg

I just bought a set of billiard skittles from ebay.

10 white and 2 black skittles. Any idea of the rules?

I have heard of 5 pin skittles but have no idea what to do with 12 skittles.

Thanks!
    My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
    I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Are these not for a pub billiards table, the kind with holes in the table bed where you have to sink the white but not hit the skittles?

Comment

Skittle Pool is a game played on a full-size billiard table. The pins are laid out and numbered as shown in the following diagram (with the black pins at X and Y). The players go in rotation using either of the white balls to play on either of the others, the object being to score by subsequently knocking over a pin. The game is usually 31 up (exactly). You should have some numbered balls, which are also used in the game to determine the order of rotation, and a secret handicap. The rules are in Badminton Library - Billiards (1906) and you may also find them online somewhere.

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9zy882h1.png

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
        Are these not for a pub billiards table, the kind with holes in the table bed where you have to sink the white but not hit the skittles?
        you are thinking of bar billiards
        great game
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

A digital copy of Badminton Library - Billiards (1898) is available here. The rules of Skittle pool are on page 465.

Comment

Originally Posted by 100-uper View Post
            A digital copy of Badminton Library - Billiards (1898) is available here. The rules of Skittle pool are on page 465.
            Thank you 100-uper Great info as always.

The information on the game of snooker or 'snooker's pool' if it is given its correct name is interesting too.

"The pyramid balls are set up in the usual way, and the striker always uses the white ball. The black ball is set on the billiard spot, the pink on the centre spot. Blue is placed just below the apex-ball of the pyramid, brown on the centre spot of the D, with yellow and green on the right and left corner spots. If pink and black are not introduced, blue is put on the billiard spot, brown on the centre spot, green at the apex of the triangle, and yellow on the centre spot of the D. The positions of pink and black are sometimes reversed." p458

"The drawback of the game is the large part played in it by luck. There are so many balls on the table that really excellent strokes are incessantly being spoilt by a combination of kisses against which it is impossible to provide. To this both sides are equally liable, but in a game of skill the element of luck not to be too prominent, and it is owing to the preponderance of luck in snooker that the game is, as a game of skill, inferior to black pool." p461

from Billiards 1896
            Last edited by mythman69; 2 June 2015, 01:53 PM.
            My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
            I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Working...
            X