Double Baulk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Baulk

If you are double baulked it's perfectly fine to just roll your ball up the table making no attempt to hit anything, as such a deliberate foul.
    So what happens if you just roll your ball in the baulk area ?
    We all know you supposed to play over the baulk line, but if your playing a foul anyway, why not ?

I'm no expert on billiards rules, but as I understand it, provided you play out of baulk when you're double-baulked, and you don't make contact with one of the object balls, then a MISS will be called rather than a foul (still two-point penalty). The next player plays from the position left.

If the first player was to play simply in baulk then that would be a foul and the next player has the option of having the balls spotted and playing from in-hand, which is a huge advantage to good players who can most often score from that position.
    Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Agreed - that is my understanding of the rules too.
      As long as you play out of baulk, you are ok - i.e. can play off a cushion and land back in baulk, opponent cannot spot the balls.
      Alternative, is to 'run a coup', in which you just fire your cue ball straight into a pocket (not the baulk ones), not much advantage to do this will often find yourself double baulked again.

Comment

Originally Posted by pigeonslayer View Post
        Alternative, is to 'run a coup', in which you just fire your cue ball straight into a pocket (not the baulk ones), not much advantage to do this will often find yourself double baulked again.
        running a coup is a foul shot and will result in having the balls spotted.
        Section 3 §14 (g)

Comment

Thanks very much for all of your answer's, I knew there must be a reason why not to play into baulk, but just couldn't think why.

Comment

Say you play a scoring shot and both the red and opponents ball end up in the baulk touching each other. Since you are double baulked its a fair shot to just play up the table without trying to hit the other 2 balls. Assuming you do so, what happens now? Can the opponent claim a position since his ball is touching the red?

Comment

As soon as it's the opponents turn to play he becomes the striker - and touching ball rule comes into effect:

When the striker's ball remains touching another ball, the referee shall state TOUCHING BALL and, following the agreement of both players, Red shall be placed on the Spot, the non-striker's ball, if on the table, shall be placed on the Centre Spot, and the striker shall play from in-hand.

Comment

Thats what I thought although in my opinion the rule is not fair since the striker ends up getting "ideal" position instead of playing from what could be a potential tricky position.

Comment

Originally Posted by cpserrao View Post
                  Say you play a scoring shot and both the red and opponents ball end up in the baulk touching each other. Since you are double baulked its a fair shot to just play up the table without trying to hit the other 2 balls. Assuming you do so, what happens now? Can the opponent claim a position since his ball is touching the red?
                  If the striker played a scoring shot and then both object balls ended up touching each other, then he just carries on from the position left. Balls are only spotted if it's the strikers cue ball touching an object ball. If he chooses to play the miss then when his opponent comes to the table then the balls will be spotted, since his cue ball will be touching the red.

If the first player doesn't like the fact that his opponent will be getting 'perfect' position by getting the balls spotted then he should have made an effort to hit the two balls: after all a good billiards player should be able to play up and down the table, and with both object balls together there would be a good chance of getting a cannon.
                  Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

There have been discussions about this rule as in general it prevents players from having to face the consequences of their own messed up shots.

For example at when playing soft cannons during a top-of-the-table sequence, a touching ball is not unlikely. Bad shot, should have been avoided - but the player has the chance to continue from hand with the balls spotted (and even be back to the top within 2 shots).

Comment

The EBOS team are doing a trial of some changes to the billiards rules.
                      The touching ball rule is one which under consideration for modification. About time this rule was changed.

http://www.world-billiards.com/?p=10949

Comment

Originally Posted by cpserrao View Post
                        The EBOS team are doing a trial of some changes to the billiards rules.
                        The touching ball rule is one which under consideration for modification. About time this rule was changed.

http://www.world-billiards.com/?p=10949
                        It's about time, the deliberate miss shot after being double baulked always got on my nerves. I can understand being alowed to play into baulk in a ball in hand situation, it will make the game much more attractive to play but I'm not totally convinced,the pot white double baulk shot can be negative and like everyone I have seen it played far too often and it does spoil the game,but it can also get you back into a game,if played at the right time, so I'm not sure about that one.
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
                        X